Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think football should be referred to as "men's football"?

(19 Posts)
elementofsurprise Sat 06-Jun-15 17:11:08

I mean, on the news and things they say "women's football" don't they? Equality please! "Male" is not the default setting!

Just irks me a bit.

LindyHemming Sat 06-Jun-15 17:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KidLorneRoll Sat 06-Jun-15 17:17:36

Seeing as the male version of the game is by far the more popular when discussing the sport on the news the male game is the default setting. It's not sexist, it would just be stupid to say male football all the time.

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Jun-15 17:19:38

They do say 'men's' football if not saying it is likely to cause confusion.

Otherwise there's no point.

TTWK Sat 06-Jun-15 17:28:05

OP, it works the other way around too. I've never heard anyone ever described as a female nurse, but male nurse is a common phrase. The vast majority of nurses are female, so there's no need to reference it. If they are male, it's the exception, so it is referenced.

The overwhelming majority of football played is played by men. There are far more male than female players, both professional and pub teams. So it makes sense to reference womens football.

It's not sexism, it's common sense.

Andrewofgg Sat 06-Jun-15 17:30:31

Q. Why is there (so far as we know) no corruption in women's football?

A. Because there is not much money in it. When there is, the corruption will follow!

Optimist1 Sat 06-Jun-15 17:41:42

Euphemia - I mentioned the Women's World Cup on a thread last week! here wink

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sat 06-Jun-15 17:45:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffcake Sat 06-Jun-15 23:28:19

Definitely! And it should also be relegated to BBC 3 wink

meglet Sat 06-Jun-15 23:29:49

yanbu.

although I did hear a 'mens football' phrase on the news earlier this week. made my ears prick up.

SoupDragon Sat 06-Jun-15 23:46:53

Pisses me off that with all the FIFA and Qatar stuff this week there's been no mention of the women's world cup. angry

I have heard them mention it on TV and radio. If I hadn't, I would have no idea it was on because I have zero interest in it.

I think that, given men's football is absolutely huge and far more popular than women's football, it is not necessary to call it men's football unless there is likely to be any confusion,

SeenSheen Sun 07-Jun-15 00:56:47

Why just to be politically correct or do you genuinely think there is a misunderstanding problem?

WestleyAndButtockUp Sun 07-Jun-15 06:52:38

The unwieldy nicknames for the US National soccer Teams are USMNT and USWNT. As in, that's how they are referred to on YouTube and Twitter and in newspapers. It's a bit weird, but at least it's not sexist.

There is a shorthand involved, though. BBC sports reports will often refer to 'England' and leave you the listener to work out whether they're talking about football or cricket or rugby.

WestleyAndButtockUp Sun 07-Jun-15 06:53:45

The unwieldy nicknames for the US National soccer Teams are USMNT and USWNT. As in, that's how they are referred to on YouTube and Twitter and in newspapers. It's a bit weird, but at least it's not sexist.

There is a shorthand involved, though. BBC sports reports will often refer to 'England' and leave you the listener to work out whether they're talking about football or cricket or rugby.

TheLittleMagician Sun 07-Jun-15 06:54:54

Roy Hodgson & Wayne Rooney were talking about the women's World Cup yesterday afternoon in a press conference.

NRomanoff Sun 07-Jun-15 07:00:22

I hear the phrase 'mens football' quite a lot of tv. Especially if they are talking about one then the other. I have also notice when the say 'on to the womens football' that's the only time its refered to as such. Then they usually say 'back to the mens football'

Pointlessfan Sun 07-Jun-15 07:06:00

I've seen stuff on tv about it. DH and I were complaining yesterday about how late it is on. We love football!

PrincessOfChina Sun 07-Jun-15 07:13:19

I believe, though I may be wrong, that women's football is still governed by FIFA. Certainly Sepp Blatter is due to present the trophy at the final.

I think things have really improved on the publicity and media front since the Olympics. So much more coverage, so much more likely to be referred to as "football" unless a differentiator is needed.

elementofsurprise Sun 07-Jun-15 12:37:55

seensheen Just to be PC I suppose! I'm not normally trumpeting pc causes, just this occurred to me... a sort of constant verbal reminder to put men's football in context and remind people women play too?

Westley It's normaly football though, isn't it? wink
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now