Talk

Advanced search

Café stinginess with butter

(203 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 06-Jun-15 13:40:50

Three separate cafés recently: one lousy pat of butter with a scone, or for two slices of toast. WTF?!

One of these titchy portions for TWO SLICES OF TOAST????!!! The waitress looked at me like I was a greedy cow for asking for more. I said "Could I have some more butter, please?" and she brought me one more portion. hmm

AIBU to take my own butter next time? confused

Hassled Sat 06-Jun-15 13:43:54

Yes, take your own butter and I'll take my own black pepper grinder (waiters producing a black pepper grinder as though it distributed gold dust make me CRAZY). I can't abide stinginess in cafes and restaurants - I get that they're there to make a profit, but they also need customers to want to return.

iusedtobecool Sat 06-Jun-15 13:54:10

I hate this too! Once in B&Q cafe, i ordered a tea cake. It was a decent size, and got one little pat of butter that covered about half a slice spread thinly!

When I asked for some more, the grumpy lady serving was going to charge me 10p a pat for any more! Luckily she changed her mind when I started to walk away. But even so, thought it was a bit cheeky of her to ask smile

BackforGood Sat 06-Jun-15 14:04:29

Sounds a pretty reasonable amount to me, to be fair - just how much butter are you wanting to pile on ? confused

RufusTheReindeer Sat 06-Jun-15 14:05:29

I like a bit of scone with my butter

SwedishEdith Sat 06-Jun-15 14:09:14

Oh, good god, you need at least a pat per slice of toast. Conversely, cafes are way too generous with milk. I don't take it in my Americano (obviously!) and yet I always get a mini jug of milk to go with it. Maybe you could suggest they rethink their distribution of dairy products to maintain their profit margins.

Euphemia Sat 06-Jun-15 14:10:14

One pat of butter per half scone; one pat per slice of toast. Not too much, surely? No jam or anything on the scones - just butter.

AlternativeTentacles Sat 06-Jun-15 14:11:41

'Would you like pepper?'

'I have no idea as I haven't tasted it yet have I?'

God I hate that.

I love pepper but I want to put it on there myself like a fucking grown up.

I also love butter and want to put as much as I need on there without having to queue up and ask for more.

AARGHH

Euphemia Sat 06-Jun-15 14:12:46

I'd like to be able to apply my own pepper too. Also Parmesan.

BreconBeBuggered Sat 06-Jun-15 14:13:49

YANBU. And I don't even like butter on toast. You could have had mine.

Don't get me started on stingy jacket potato butterage.

fairyfuckwings Sat 06-Jun-15 14:16:01

I'll take my own mayonnaise too. One tiny doll sized ramekin (or even worse - a tiny sachet) is nowhere near enough for chip dipping.

MadeMan Sat 06-Jun-15 14:20:02

I like it when I go somewhere and they have a little basket full of those wrapped pats of butter to help yourself; I can eat loads of those just on their own.

FarelyKnuts Sat 06-Jun-15 14:20:55

Condiment stinginess puts me right off ever returning to a place. Favorite café has a dish with about 6 pats of butter and assorted jams/marmalade plus sugar/salt/pepper/ketchup on the table. Where it damn where should be for your to choose your portions!

RedCheckedTablecloth Sat 06-Jun-15 14:24:15

Whatever happened to butter curls? Are they out of date? I used to love doing those when I was a kid for afternoon tea.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Sat 06-Jun-15 14:29:10

Don't get me started on stingy jacket potato butterage.

That annoys me too. I like lots of butter on my jacket potatoes but I find lots of places these days don't add butter or only give you one tiny portion to add yourself.

When I worked in a cafe we weren't allowed to put butter on jacket potatoes ourselves and instead had to direct customers to the baskets of butter to put on themselves. On the upside they could have as many as they liked and they were free.

rookiemere Sat 06-Jun-15 14:29:34

So how many pats of butter do you need for two slices of toast OP?

I would have said that one per slice is the absolute maximum otherwise it would be positively leaking with the stuff.

I can see the cafes issue, I don't like the thought of getting rancid butter which is what happens if you leave it out for more than a couple of hours.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Sat 06-Jun-15 14:31:05

BackforGood I don't think one of those portions of butter as pictured in the OP is enough to cover two slices of toast. Maybe if you don't like a lot of butter it's fine but for someone like me who likes very buttery toast I'd need two of them.

hiddenhome Sat 06-Jun-15 14:31:59

At least it was butter. I was given margarine with my scone yesterday in a naice, trendy type cafe. It was dog eared and dried out too. Horrible sad

And the milkshake was warm hmm

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jun-15 14:36:52

M&S Cafe today. Very unsatisfactory. Two pieces of white toast. One about an inch thick, one about two inches thick. Four portions of butter straight out of the fridge.

Teeny tiny dolls house jugs of milk (no handle) and dribbly teapots.

<humph>

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jun-15 14:37:55

OMG hidden warm milkshake and margarine? Nightmares.

QueenBean Sat 06-Jun-15 14:41:27

Those butter curls are absolutely rank - they keep them in a bucket of water and fish them out and present as needed

Urgh

balletgirlmum Sat 06-Jun-15 14:42:01

I love buttery toast but one of those portions is plenty for two slices.

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jun-15 14:43:55

No way ballet. One portion for two slices? shock

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Sat 06-Jun-15 14:44:19

I was given margarine with my scone yesterday in a naice, trendy type cafe.

shock

Margarine is vile stuff. Especially on toast or on a scone <vom>.

imisstaxdiscs Sat 06-Jun-15 14:44:20

Baked potatoes are a minefield. The butter should be applied to personal butteriness-preference levels (and mashed into the potato a bit) prior to addition of toppings, which is almost never catered for by potato-serving establishments. I like to combine the components myself. Is this so wrong? Getting a potato already covered in chilli and a butter-pat is like getting toast with a spoonful of marmalade already on top and a butter pat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now