Talk

Advanced search

To cry when I hold my sleeping child because I love them so much?

(69 Posts)
Bellaboosmum1 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:04:12

Sometimes when I'm holding my sleeping child, I hold them so tight and think about how much I love them and I end up weeping. Am I alone?

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:09:17

No, I totally did that, too. Still do, with my 4-year-old.

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:09:36

I wouldn't go by me, though, I'm a big sappy sap.

Royalsighness Sat 06-Jun-15 04:12:32

YANBU. I do this too x

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 06-Jun-15 04:25:54

Perfectly natural, although it fades when they start arguing about bedtime, or eat a tube of garlic puree.

Strokethefurrywall Sat 06-Jun-15 04:29:32

Totally normal - about 10 minutes ago I welled up whilst stroking ds2s head as he slept. So then I saw your thread and I laughed.
Ds1s (3 1/2) song is baby mine from dumbo - I've sung it every night since he was born. Even now I can well up whilst singing for him.
I think these emotions serve us well when they're throwing Weetabix on the floor and yelling...

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:34:33

When my daughter was a baby I sang "Goodnight my Angel" by Billy Joel. It still makes me cry. When I check on her before bed at night, I just want to pick her up and squeeze her. She was my last baby, and a surprise, so I tried to soak up every minute of her babyhood, if that makes any sense. I rocked her for hours at night while she slept, kissing her and sniffing her hair.

maras2 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:55:59

How lovely.I did this quite unashamedly with my kids and find myself doing the same with my gorgeous grand children. smile

HandMini Sat 06-Jun-15 05:15:54

Oh yes, normal. I'm not blubbing round their beds every night, but occasionally after a few glasses of wine and an evening away from the tikes courtesy of our lovely babysitter I can easily shed a tear stroking their little sleeping heads. They're so innocent in sleep, I think that's what pushes me over the edge.

eggyface Sat 06-Jun-15 05:53:19

yup. about once every 4 days.

timeforabrewnow Sat 06-Jun-15 05:57:35

Awww to this whole thread. Awww smile

ishallnamehimsquishy Sat 06-Jun-15 06:29:33

Yesi totally have to stop and cuddle/gaze at them both when I check on them before I go to bed.

I probably do cry just now as I'm expecting no 3 very soon and a bit tired and emotional. blush

silverglitterpisser Sat 06-Jun-15 07:42:01

All the time. They r just so, so precious n the calm of sleep lets u properly reflect on that. I never cry with bad times, but am a really prolific sobber for proud n emotional reasons!

shushpenfold Sat 06-Jun-15 07:44:01

Still get a tear in my eye when I hug my big babies too (even the 14yo....although that could be tears of pain from standing on the various detritus on his floor of course! grin)

Skeppers Sat 06-Jun-15 07:47:25

I don't have any DC (yet!) but found myself crying last night at DH just because "I love him so much"! confused

I blame pregnancy hormones. grin

123Jump Sat 06-Jun-15 07:54:02

I did this too. I used to wish all the babies in the world could have that love.
Sniff.

meandjulio Sat 06-Jun-15 07:57:15

Ds is 11 and I am really only familiar with the top of his head now as he is permanently glued to minecraft and youtube, but I spend a lot of time gazing at it in awe that he is real, and sometimes tears come too.

Must tell him that, just to see his face.

ShiftyFades Sat 06-Jun-15 07:57:44

DS is 6 and I regularly cry because I love him so much. Who knew this parenting lark could make you feel like your heart will explode with love, every time you see their face?! That every night I have tangs of missing him, even though he's only in the next room?

It's amazing, I'm cherishing every precious moment. He's the most amazing person I've ever met grin

Goatcoat Sat 06-Jun-15 08:00:05

It's wonderful to be taken aback with how amazing they are. Incredible really.

ShiftyFades Sat 06-Jun-15 08:03:04

Pangs^ not tangs

monkeysox Sat 06-Jun-15 08:03:28

I did this anyway as I do love them so much but I also cry now as I know how much my mum loved me and she is no longer with us.

We love them even when they call us poo face, eat bogies and shout for their bottoms to be wiped grin

Wishful80smontage Sat 06-Jun-15 08:06:46

I do this too just love my dd so so much

GaryBaldy Sat 06-Jun-15 08:09:08

What a lovely thread.

Yes I do it too. DS is a big hairy grunting thing locked away revising in his room, he speaks mainly to request food and taxi service mainly but still has a big hug when he comes in from school (of which he only has four more days to attend for exams sob!)

A combination of pride at how far he has come and the thought that in two years time he will be getting ready to head off to Uni often sets me off crying. Obviously I have to disguise that or he would be disgusted grin

UglyJellyShoes90 Sat 06-Jun-15 08:24:32

I do this with my 3. I go into their rooms just before I go to bed to kiss the top of their sleeping heads and whisper "I love you". I sob watching the old baby videos too. Blub!

MrsTedCrilly Sat 06-Jun-15 08:27:17

Awwwww. You are so normal don't worry! It's called 'LOVE' smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now