Talk

Advanced search

To not 'get' Audrey Hepburn?

(103 Posts)
MinesaBottle Sat 06-Jun-15 01:33:55

That chocolate ad has just been on and it got me thinking...I just don't get her appeal. I know she did fantastic work when older, I'm talking about when she was a film star and everyone seemed to think she was sooooo incredible. I don't get it - but I'm aware it's a subjective opinion - all I see is an annoying, simpering girly girl who also happens to look good in a frock.

I await my flaming from Audrey fans grin

Shockers Sat 06-Jun-15 01:39:46

I saw it the other day and couldn't help thinking that she had ridiculous eyebrows in that film clip.

Sorry Audrey.

completelydisappear Sat 06-Jun-15 01:44:20

I'm not a fan of hers and I've actually never seen any of her films so I wouldn't have a clue if she is a simpering girly girl in a frock as you say.

I think her appeal is that she was the opposite of Marilyn in looks, and it allowed women to think that they didn't have to be blonde to be beautiful.

I guess her appeal now is that she is an iconic star, I love the movie star era when Hollywood was actually glamourous.

You don't have to "get" her.

MinesaBottle Sat 06-Jun-15 01:45:13

My mother would be horrified I'd posted this. Then again she got annoyed when I said I couldn't see what was so amazing about Jackie O, apart from marrying rich powerful men.

spillyobeans Sat 06-Jun-15 01:49:00

The advert is completely computer generated rather than archive footage btw smile

I dont think she was a great actress, i do think she was pretty.

MinesaBottle Sat 06-Jun-15 01:53:29

Oh she was pretty (and the ad is v clever); I just don't really understand why so many people think she was so great. She wasn't the only dark haired actress at the time after all. But each to their own!

TheAnalyst Sat 06-Jun-15 03:05:49

Iconic I don't disagree with, but I had to switch off My Fair Lady because I found her too grating to watch (I'm aware her accent was supposed to be grating, but I thought she hammed it up too much).

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Jun-15 03:51:11

simpering girly girl who also happens to look good in a frock

That seems to be the reason most people like her.

BettyCatKitten Sat 06-Jun-15 04:48:35

Watch 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'
She had more talent, natural beauty and intelligence than today's so called Celebes, plus she was an ambassador for the UN and championed children's rights.
Jordan et al couldn't hold a candle to her IMO, nor Cameron Diaz!

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 04:58:32

I love Sabrina.

DrJacoby Sat 06-Jun-15 05:06:31

What Betty said. she's amazing in Breakfast. What films have you seen her in, OP?

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 05:09:40

She was in a movie I really like with Cary Grant, but I can't remember what it's called. Funny Face is also quite good.

lostincumbria Sat 06-Jun-15 05:12:00

You're right OP - the Oscar, Bafta, Grammy, Emmy, Golden Globe and Tony winner was just a simpering girly girl.

RainbowFlutterby Sat 06-Jun-15 05:15:27

What's wrong with being a "simpering girly girl" anyway?

AoifeBell Sat 06-Jun-15 05:17:41

YABU. Breakfast at Tiffany's! I'm guessing you haven't seen it op.

Smokeyrobinson Sat 06-Jun-15 06:27:09

YANBU OP - vastly overrated as an actress. I always thought it was just me who didn't get it!

MythicalKings Sat 06-Jun-15 06:34:13

YABVU.

More talent in her fringe than most of today's "stars" have in their entire bodies.

Waltonswatcher Sat 06-Jun-15 07:35:11

She suffered awfully during the war. This created a created a strong yet vulnerable character . It may be easier to read her as simpering if you never look close I suppose. But read her history and then call her that.
I think she had an amazing spirit . I hate those ads as they reduce her to a computerised misfit . I find it offensive but hey, I don't buy crap chocolate anyway.

DustBunnyFarmer Sat 06-Jun-15 07:41:52

Yes, she attributed her very slight figure to malnutrition during the Belgian famine in WW2.

I like her films very much, especially Roman Holiday. But I also admire her for her post-acting career, where she did a lot of charity work and campaigning.

londonrach Sat 06-Jun-15 07:43:09

Me neither but dont tell my dm. My attempt to watch breakfast at tiffanys sent me to sleep. Its so boring. Maybe a generation thing.

Purpleflamingos Sat 06-Jun-15 07:53:53

I grew up on old movie stars, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn and Grace Kelly were my idols! Much to the despair of my friends who liked to model themselves on Jordan, the girls from Hollyoaks and watch pretty woman reruns!

You don't have to get her but she is amazing. Those films taught me to conduct myself with grace and dignity.

FeijoaSundae Sat 06-Jun-15 07:55:58

It's probably a lot to do with looking at her through today's eyes, whereby she has become almost cliched, via over-familiarity.

I think, back when she emerged, she was very fresh and quite, quite different to what had gone before, and just brought something new to the screen.

I certainly don't think she is 'simpering' given her history....

MuttonCadet Sat 06-Jun-15 07:57:28

I think it's the advert rather than the woman. I agree the adverts is shockingly bad.

LazyLouLou Sat 06-Jun-15 08:04:14

Yes, Dutch resistance, her uncles shot, exceptional ballerina, starved almost to death, still managed to raise money for the resistance by dancing, put her own life at risk regularly, multi award winning actress, UNICEF ambassador, Presidential Medal of Honour and all round pleasant person, apparently.

You do have to wonder why people have ever thought she was an exceptional person, actress, role model!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 06-Jun-15 08:05:29

Possibly it's because I'm dark-haired, but I really don't get the appeal of Marilyn Monroe or Grace Kelly. Audrey Hepburn for me all the way! Those cheekbones, that vulnerability, her grace, her luminous complexion, her huge dark eyes - everything about her was perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

She was a good actor. Not right up there with (say) Meryl Streep or Judi Dench or Maggie Smith, but she was very good in the right role.

I love Breakfast at Tiffany's largely because of her - it's not a great film in truth judged as a whole.

The Nun's Story, however, is an excellent film - she got the Best Actress Oscar for her performance.

The film she was in with Cary Grant was Charade. Not a brilliant film but I'd watch it again just to see her.

On the other hand, I think she was miscast in My Fair Lady. (That was Julie Andrews' role on stage and she was miffed not to get the film role. She did, however, get Mary Poppins instead and as she got the Best Actress Oscar for that, I think she felt it all worked out OK in the end!)

Two pictures of her here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now