Talk

Advanced search

To ask for money for lost book?

(12 Posts)
GobblersKnob Fri 05-Jun-15 11:30:32

A friend of mine borrowed a library book that I had taken out (I know, I know), I have been renewing it for five months, but now have to take it back as our degrees are finished, she says she returned it to the library, but doesn't have a receipt. The book is still outstanding on my account and the library are going to charge me £30 (cover price of the book to replace it).

AIBU to expect her to pay? (I have already covered about £6 in fines, but I figured they were kind of my fault as I could have renewed it online, but forget as the book wasn't actually in my possession).

AnyoneForTennis Fri 05-Jun-15 11:31:49

Yabu

You need to take responsibility for it!

GobblersKnob Fri 05-Jun-15 11:42:32

Am genuinely asking, because I am not sure what the right thing to do is btw, if it was me I would insist on paying, but wasn't sure.

londonrach Fri 05-Jun-15 11:44:24

Can you get a very good condition second hand copy and take that in. I bet it be less than £30

GobblersKnob Fri 05-Jun-15 11:48:02

I've already looked, because it's a current academic text, second hand copies are only really a pound or so cheaper unfortunately.

TheFlis12345 Fri 05-Jun-15 11:48:29

Regardless of the library element, if I borrowed something from a friend and lost it I would insist on replacing it. Under the circumstances I don't think you would be unreasonable to ask, and if it was a good friend they should offer!

TeenAndTween Fri 05-Jun-15 11:49:23

I'd suggest you go halves on it.

riverboat1 Fri 05-Jun-15 12:34:15

I'd tell the friend the library were charging me £30 to replace it and see what she said.

KurriKurri Fri 05-Jun-15 13:28:58

Do go in and check on the shelves, I was accused by a library of not returning/losing a book that I had definitely returned. I went in went tot he shelf and found it there - showed the librarian and she humphed at me rudely (but did remove the lost book fine from my record)

Other than that if it is actually missing, I think unfortunately you are responsible for a book taken out in your name (worth asking her for halves though)

ItsTricky Fri 05-Jun-15 13:34:13

I'd tell her that the library want £30 and see what she says. If she's a decent human being she'll cough up! Unfortunately though, the buck does stop with you if she won't pay.

And don't lend anyone a library book ever again.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 05-Jun-15 13:34:25

Definitely check the shelf. Otherwise, pay it and let her know that you have. She'll presumably offer to cover it.

itsmeitscathy Fri 05-Jun-15 14:08:23

let her know and ask for the money - at my uni this would have prevented me graduating till the fine was paid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now