Talk

Advanced search

To think it's ridiculous that the council cant provide a bigger recycling bin...

(42 Posts)
Uhplistrailer Fri 05-Jun-15 11:01:38

But they can afford to replant the copius flower beds and hanging baskets in the area every new season.

I know it's two different departments, but it's all the same council.

I rang up today to see if I can get a bigger, or another recycling bin, as for the past few months our recycling bin has been overflowing (as in 2 or 3 extra boxes next to the wheelie bin) by the time of our fortnightly collection, while the rubbish bin is only half full. We're a 4 person family, so we can't be the only ones with this problem. They told me they no longer provide larger bins as they don't have the money, so we need to put the extra recycling in white bin bags (more rubbish) or boxes. Ignoring the fact that we have limited space and our neighbours have commented on the overflowing boxes in the bin area.

Obviously we just need to get another rubbish bin to put it all in and take the White bags out on bin day, but Aibu to think that their priorities are a bit messed up if they can afford thousands of plants but not bigger recycling bins for those that need them? They also don't provide food waste disposal facilities, but that's another discussion!

AnyoneForTennis Fri 05-Jun-15 11:05:11

Take the rubbish to a recycling place yourself? Our local tip has it all segregated for recycling. Not the councils fault you create so much

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Jun-15 11:06:18

You can have two bins though. You just have to pay for the second one...the same as you would if you needed to replace it.

I agree though, they should be looking at providing bigger bins for this problem.

velocityofbeans Fri 05-Jun-15 11:07:00

That's silly, our local council has just had a sale on recycling bins, so we have 2 blue wheelie bins now, and they are always happy to take extra too

kinkyfuckery Fri 05-Jun-15 11:07:00

Do you not have the option to purchase an extra bin (and includes the extra cost of collection)?

How much do you possibly have though? We are a family of 3 and often go 4 weeks, or even 6, before the recycling bin is full.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 05-Jun-15 11:07:09

It is annoying, I want a bigger or 2nd plastic recycling bin as we always have too much for the bin and have to take it up to the recycling centre, where you can only seem to recycle bottles and not plastic containers, have to store the extra in the garage until the next time.

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Jun-15 11:07:34

Anyone how do you know the OP has a car?

Its not the council's fault that people produce so much recycling but it's often not our fault either.

If things come with a lot of packaging, then that's how we have to buy them.

ItsTricky Fri 05-Jun-15 11:10:08

Do you compost? A lot of recycling can be composted.

Uhplistrailer Fri 05-Jun-15 11:10:35

That's what I'm saying though. We're not 'over consumers'. We're a regular 4 person family. Never buy bagged veg, use our shopping bags as bin bags, kids use scrap paper to draw on. We can't be the only ones with this problem.

SaucyJack Fri 05-Jun-15 11:10:40

Where's your nearest recycling point?

We don't have a doorstep collection and have to take everything down the road to the bins when we can be bothered to recycle.

Can you do the same?

Fleecyleesy Fri 05-Jun-15 11:10:48

If your recycling bin is overflowing and the rubbish bin is half full, I would put the excess recycling into the rubbish bin. There is only so much you can do.

Uhplistrailer Fri 05-Jun-15 11:11:29

Our garden is small and damp. We can't really compost, but we have a wormery that some food waste fm an go in.

MaxPepsi Fri 05-Jun-15 11:14:19

Seems this is hit and miss with each council and who you get on the phone.

I rang and got a 2nd green bin with no problems whatsoever, however when a neighbour requested the same a few months later they were told no!

I wasn't charged either.

Uhplistrailer Fri 05-Jun-15 11:15:51

Yes, we have a recycling point at the dump, so that's another option, but as someone else said, some people don't have the means to do that.

Some stuff from supermarkets comes in ridiculous amounts of packaging (3 different bits of plastic from a packet of raspberries the other day!). We can't really do much about that.

Uhplistrailer Fri 05-Jun-15 11:17:19

I just rang them again. I don't really mind paying for another bin, but apparently that's not an optionhmm

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 05-Jun-15 11:17:35

Can you squash your recycling down at all? I get most annoyed about excess packaging and junk mail. As the consumer, we don't ask for it and don't want it, but we end up being responsible for getting rid of it.

We got a second bin for free but that was years ago. We don't need it anymore as we went from 4 weekly to 2 weekly collection and that's fine for us. You're welcome to have it if you are anywhere near south Leeds.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 05-Jun-15 11:17:49

We've got 2 recycling bins, our council gives them out free. I think it's mad that others don't.

We do crush everything down really, really small so usually only half fill the second one.

ItsTricky Fri 05-Jun-15 11:17:57

Damp is good. Compost bins don't have to be huge. Ours sits in a corner, the ground it takes up is about the size of a car wheel I guess. We rip up all our paper and card to chuck in (the kids enjoy helping with that!

Luckystar82 Fri 05-Jun-15 11:19:41

In the OPs defence, I think they are talking about the slim bins that are usually allocated to small flats/ houses? I think they just want a normal sized wheelie bin rather than an extra large one.

We just moved house - 2 of our bins are normal size (black, blue) and 1 is a slim bin (green) and the slim bin is always much more full than the others because the capacity is half.

ToBeeOrNot Fri 05-Jun-15 11:21:46

Will the recycling not compact down any further? I regularly get into the bin and jump up and down when I've forgotten to put the bin out for the second fortnight running. What looks like a full bin can easily be compacted down to 50% full.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 05-Jun-15 11:22:17

Buy one from Amazon?

Lasvegas Fri 05-Jun-15 11:23:23

interesting how each council is different, we can have for free and delivered to home recycling bins. Our council encourages recycling. if we put stuff into bin bags the foxes would tear it up

howabout Fri 05-Jun-15 11:26:41

In your situation I would put the overflow in the real bin.

I find it ridiculous that given the technology exists to sort post collection councils are not investing in this and instead adding multiple layers of bins and complexity to rubbish collection.

A bit odd to suggest getting in a car using petrol and clogging up roads to take stuff to the dump in preference to another bin being provided.

RooftopCat Fri 05-Jun-15 11:29:09

Can you take a bag of recycling with you when you go to the shops? Supermarket car parks often have plastic and glass recycling bins. Or the leisure centre. I used to drop off recycling as I was waiting for DC at sports classes. Just get into the habit of taking a bag with you - plastics are easy to carry if you have to walk.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 05-Jun-15 11:29:35

We have clear sacks for our recycling and I've run out. It's a nightmare to get them to send more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now