Talk

Advanced search

Not to refund this buyer?

(60 Posts)
Fedupofplaystation Thu 04-Jun-15 21:32:57

I am in the process of selling a load of baby stuff as quite strapped for cash.

I had an old style, large Graco swing that had been stored on our mezzanine for a year so was a bit dusty. Knew it wouldn't be worth much so didn't want to put a lot of effort into selling it, but as my DD had enjoyed it and it was still in working order (I inserted batteries and checked this prior to listing) I listed it with one picture, a starting price of 99p and a brief description that stated it was used and from a smoke-free, pet-free home.

It was won for £8.50. On the first night the buyer asked if they could collect that night. I messaged back immediately saying yes (I have the email trail) and we waited up for them. Two hours later I messaged to ask if they were still coming. They said that they were not as they had not heard from me.

Benefit of the doubt, they may have missed my message so we rearranged for the next evening. They arrived 1.5 hours after the agreed pick up time, but paid cash and took the swing.

Today I have received an arsey email stating that the buyer is gobsmacked at the state the swing is in and would never put their baby in it. They're unhappy as they paid for the item to be collected by her sister and for batteries that they will now not use. They want me to collect the item and refund them.

My main arguments against refunding are that the item is as described. Although I probably should have cleaned it more prior to selling, it is in working order. Also, the buyer could have viewed and checked it was working prior to paying cash. I would have been fine if, when turning up they decided it wasn't what they were after. Being a low priced item it's not worth my effort to go pick it up to resell.

AIBU or should I just chalk it all up to experience and refund?

RubyMay82 Thu 04-Jun-15 21:34:25

As long as it's as described tell them to poke it!
Different if they had said something when they collected it but not now.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Thu 04-Jun-15 21:34:57

Nope, she paid cash, caveat emptor, although she could negative you.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Thu 04-Jun-15 21:37:35

Why would you not clean it before giving it to somebody else? I'd be mortified

Fedupofplaystation Thu 04-Jun-15 21:41:26

I agree that I should have given it a clean down prior to selling. My excuse although not a good one is that I knew I wouldn't get much for it so didn't want to spend much time/energy to sell it and it didn't look too bad. blush

They got a Graco swing for £8.50 and are complaining about a bit of cleaning?

Unless the item is so filthy it cannot be cleaned, I would tell them no refunds.

TwinkleSparkleBling Thu 04-Jun-15 21:54:47

They saw it when collected (even if it was someone else on their behalf), paid cash. End of.

IrishDad79 Thu 04-Jun-15 21:56:53

Take the following advice from only fools and horses; "no income tax, no VAT, no money back, no guarantee"!

IrishDad79 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:00:18

On a serious note, I would give the money back just to get them off my back. They sound like a pain in the arse.

Fedupofplaystation Thu 04-Jun-15 22:13:29

If I refund, will they still be able to give me negative feedback?

ClaireFraser Thu 04-Jun-15 22:19:14

If you decide to refund them, then they need to return the item to you. They saw it in collection and if they weren't happy then should have said then and there and cancelled sale.
I don't see why you should put yourself out for them by picking it up, I'm not saying this buyer is, but there's enough chancers around and you have only her word that it was her sister who picked it up and not the buyer herself.

ClaireFraser Thu 04-Jun-15 22:20:36

No I don't think they be able to leave neagative feedback if you refund, as there's then no 'sale' to show on your selling record for other buyers to see.

Balanced12 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:24:13

They can still give you negative feedback, say no they are just trying it on.

fastdaytears Thu 04-Jun-15 22:24:51

The eBay rules are different if you collect in person to if you send something out. One of my friends sells loads of junk and gets as many people as possible to collect in person then if they complain afterwards they can do one. Can't open a dispute etc. Not sure about feedback. Not the best eBay attitude imo from my friend but he's actually quite lovely irl and just fed up of some people's trivial complaints.
Re your swing...it was £8.50 what did they expect.

BabyMurloc Thu 04-Jun-15 22:25:13

You could ask ebay/gumtree for advice. I would assume that since they collected and paid cash they have no grounds for refund based on the "condition" They SAW it before they paid. They paid and took it. I doubt you are obliged to refund.

Timri Thu 04-Jun-15 22:27:24

Tbh, I'd probably refund, just to get them to STFU, but I'd make them bring it back

Onedayinthesun Thu 04-Jun-15 22:32:24

YABU! Just because you buy something used on EBay - it does not mean it is ok for the seller to hand over a dirty item, because they can't be arsed to wipe it over. It doesn't matter what someone has paid for it hmm embarrassing, especially when item was for a baby.

How long would it of taken to wipe it down? Embarrassing hmm

Loletta Thu 04-Jun-15 22:32:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loletta Thu 04-Jun-15 22:34:19

Onedayinthesun Thu 04-Jun-15 22:36:29

Used does not have to = Dirty confused

Loletta Thu 04-Jun-15 22:40:50

Candycoco Thu 04-Jun-15 22:50:33

I'd have been pretty annoyed if I'd bought something and it turned out to be filthy. confused

AndNowItsSeven Thu 04-Jun-15 22:50:50

Yabu you should have stated it was dirty on the listing.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 04-Jun-15 22:53:38

How dirty though? Stuff that comes off with a baby wipe over it, or are the covers stained and found encrusted on the stand?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 04-Jun-15 22:54:25

food not found

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now