Talk

Advanced search

To complain about the man that delivers the papers?

(19 Posts)
MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 19:30:31

You know those local papers? The ones that come during the week and are free....but are attached somehow to the weekly local paper that you buy?

Well...ours is delivered by a man in a car who does his rounds with his son...who looks about 11.

Last week he came and stood arguing outside with his son...swearing "Fuck this and fuck that type of swearing...very loud.

I thought it was hmm but ignored.

We live in a flat...there are 2 flats down and 2 up...plus a shared garden at the back with it's own door...the front door is at the front and it's the front one that the paper man comes in through when you buzz him in.

basically I buzzed him in, he came up...put my paper through the door, then the neighbours paper...then he went down and did the ground floor flats...then he opened the back door...which has a lock on it that you have to flick up...so it obviously private....and stuck his head out to look in the garden.

He knows that's the garden entrance as he's been delivering here for weeks now...there are only 4 flats...he';d done them all...so there was no mistake...just nosiness...the reason we knew he'd done this was that DH happened to be in the garden and was just coming in...and said "What do you want?"

and the man said "Oh...I was just checking on the little one."

There was no "Little one"....the children were upstairs with me.

Then...he went out to the front in the street where his car was parked and his son was waiting and proceeded to swear and shout at his son for some misdemeanor...I mean REALLY shouting and effing. "Fucking hell!!! I said NO!!! Fuck you! Fuck you!!" sort of thing.

My children were looking out of the window agog...I'm not so precious that I don't think they should ever be exposed to swearing or anger...but really?

Combined with the garden snooping...I'm just not happy...WIBU to call the paper up and complain?

Euphemia Thu 04-Jun-15 19:32:03

I would - sounds like he's up to something.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 04-Jun-15 19:34:59

Sounds a bit dodgy, a call to your local Neighbourhood Policing Team as well as paper bosses wouldn't go amiss

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 19:36:03

Euphemia do you really? DH said that...but what? All he could see were a couple of crappy bikes and a sandpit! Or could he be looking for access points?

Euphemia Thu 04-Jun-15 19:42:21

I don't know, but he had no business being back there, did he? Weird!

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 19:44:16

Yes very weird. He was quite intimidating.

scribblegirl Thu 04-Jun-15 19:46:46

Yeah I'd call the people who produce the paper. And actually, I know this sounds excessive, but I might call 101 to mention it in case there are any break-ins in the area in the next few weeks - someone might link that info. But possibly I'm OTT.

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 19:50:32

Thanks all Scribble now you've said it in addition to others on here, I will definitely call 101 and get them to note the details. It's very odd isn't it?

crustsaway Thu 04-Jun-15 19:54:14

I don't think its majorly odd to be honest. He just had a peek at a private garden. 101 have better things to deal with.

pinkje Thu 04-Jun-15 19:54:45

When he said 'checking on the little one' did he not mean his own son? thinking he was in the garden.

That's why he was annoyed with his son when he found him out front (maybe?)

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 19:59:46

Why would his son be in my garden? His son had gone up the street.

crustsaway Thu 04-Jun-15 20:02:59

He was looking and felt embarrassed that you caught him so said something off the cuff is my guessing. Calling 101 is a tad too far dont you think. Ok, he was swearing at his son, uncouth, but not illegal quite yet.

scribblegirl Thu 04-Jun-15 20:24:30

I'm quite willing to take the idea that it was too much to say 101 by the way OP, just the way your phrased it nerved me a bit (but then I called Crimestoppers when next door had some anon person graffiti 'wife beater' on next door's garage. Was washed away same day. We have never seen next door. Always worry that it's better to register concerns, no matter how small - but likely bullshit, I accept!)

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 21:08:06

Hmm. My initial reaction wasn't to inform the police I must say....but it was rather unnerving. Do people think it reasonable of me to call the company tomorrow and tell them I don't want this man to deliver to my home again?

And explain why? The swearing alone is enough imo to warrant this...never mind the intrusion.

My downstairs neighbours are both elderly and both very nervous. If he'd have stuck his head out of our door into the garden when one of them were out there, they would have been frightened.

I've spoken more to DH who says that he came with some "intention" and it was as though he was about to walk into the garden....but then met DH...so stopped.

TheWaltzClogTeam Thu 04-Jun-15 21:25:03

He could have needed a wee maybe. Horrible thought, but it would make sense, that he was a bit embarrassed to be caught, and took it out on his son.

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 21:30:56

Waltz EW! No surely not...the back garden here has windows overlooking it from both up and down flats!

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 04-Jun-15 21:37:49

I'd have thought he was looking for his son too.
If this is the first time there has been an issue, I wouldn't report it.

LittleMissIntrovert Thu 04-Jun-15 21:42:09

I would be tempted to call your local neighborhood police team to be honest, as there may be nothing to it, but I don't think there is any harm of having a record of it, other people may have done the same and it could build a picture.

Or it could be perfectly innocent but no harm done.

MrsNextDoor Thu 04-Jun-15 21:44:41

To clear up the son issue...no. He would not have been...their routine is ALWAYS that they park outside my house, then the son goes over the road and delivers there...then the Dad comes in here and does this side...they keep meeting up at the car...he'd only JUST given his lad papers and sent him off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now