Talk

Advanced search

to expect school uniform to be available in all sizes?

(16 Posts)
Waggamamma Thu 04-Jun-15 13:56:32

My D's starts school this august (Scotland). He's 4 and tall for his age, not overweight, just tall and skinny.

School have put out sample uniforms to try on before ordering. The age 5-6 is too small in the sleeves for ds, but they don't offer an age 6-7. The next size available is 7-8 which will absolutely swamp him. I'm not sure what I'm meant to do as he needs a school logo sweatshirt (can get other bits elsewhere). Aibu to expect them to offer all sizes not just every second size?

I'm irrationally annoyed about this as he's my pfb and I want him to look nice in his uniform not drowned in it.

Altinkum Thu 04-Jun-15 13:58:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHathaway Thu 04-Jun-15 13:59:05

To be honest you'll find that's standard in shops too as children's growth slows.

School jumpers also tend to shrink in the first wash so he won't look drowned for long!

Superexcited Thu 04-Jun-15 14:01:04

As school jumpers have elasticated cuffs and hem you will be find buying the 7-8.

dixiechick1975 Thu 04-Jun-15 14:01:40

Lots of kids clothes seem to be 5-6 then 7-8. Agree it is a big jump. Could you get 1 and see it may not be that big. If too big maybe a tumble dry will shrink it a bit.
My dd has to have a regulation pleated kilt. She is very tall and in the biggest size 11-12 age 9. I'm going to have to say something soon as I'm not prepared to have her with a mid thigh skirt in yr 6!

SomethingFunny Thu 04-Jun-15 14:02:28

They are not missing out a size- there is no gap between 5-6 and 7-8, they are just 2 year age sizes not one year ones.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a DS who is still in size 2-3 clothes when he started school like mine was. Now he WAS swamped by his uniform!!

ninaaa Thu 04-Jun-15 14:05:39

Most 4yo starting primary school are slightly swamped by their uniform. They all grow into it (and out of it!) fairly quickly.

PrimalLass Thu 04-Jun-15 14:07:25

They take them off the minute they get into school anyway, IMO.

I haven't bought any jumpers for DS since the start of P3. He wore that one about twice. He's at the end of P5 now.

One day I found five of his logo-ed jumpers in the class 'jumper box'. Discarded.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Thu 04-Jun-15 14:09:32

buy the 7-8 and then tumble dry it, it will then be a bit small smile

PandasRock Thu 04-Jun-15 14:09:58

Oh, it's a bugbear of mine.

Dd2 has to have her school uniform/PE kit from a certain website. They don't make he tracksuit small enough for her. At all. And she isn't that small. And I can't take up the tracksuit, as it has zips up the legs. So, about a quarter of her year look like scarecrows, in kit that is far too big, as nothing else is available.

Same for her school dress. It's a pinafore. And doesn't come with adjustable waist. Dd2's hangs off her, quite literally.

It's ridiculous.

Altinkum Thu 04-Jun-15 14:10:18

Altinkum Thu 04-Jun-15 14:11:34

SomethingFunny Thu 04-Jun-15 14:19:57

I am sorry you too offence to my language- I was being friendly with the opening poster not nasty. "Lucky" was meant that her child is at least between clothing sizes and not nowhere near them.

Logo items are the problem. Sainsburys school trousers make my sons look like clowns as they are very baggy, even in the smallest sizes. Next slim fit trousers are the only ones that seem to fit them properly.

howabout Thu 04-Jun-15 15:26:18

Turn the cuffs on the 7-8 sweatshirt and buy plenty of everything too big. They grow a lot, get mucky and put holes in most things. Also buy lots means lots of cheap versions and absolute minimum of anything school logo and overinflated price - have a check around playground to see what others actually wear especially post P1.

Strawberryshakes Thu 04-Jun-15 16:18:07

Yanquis. My DD's day care uniform was sized like this, 1-2 then 2-4 when I Thought I wanted 2-3. Thankfully I got the 1-2 and they're massive (shes nearly 3).

She's starting school nursery I'm September and the smallest jumpers they do are too big, but will shrink nicely in the wash so I'm told smile. Trousers and the like I am worried about though as she's only in 18-24 month bottoms usually.

Waggamamma Thu 04-Jun-15 19:26:23

Thanks all. I'll buy 7-8 and hope he grows over summer or I can shrink one smile . It just seems wrong to be buying size 7-8 for a 4yr old, he is tall but not a giant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now