Talk

Advanced search

neighbours that plant huge trees that steal a view deserve for it to get a parasite

(81 Posts)
stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 12:17:37

My house has stood for over 85 years. Yet only in the last few years is the view being taken away by a new build in tjr 90s that's planted some trees. Getting very bushy and in a few years will totally of taken away the view.

Aibu to think this is rude and unthoughtful?

There's already 3m hedge so these trees provide no more privacy.

I poured some brushwood killer all over the base and its done nothing.

Could saw through in a couple of mins but obviously I could get sewed. However seems unfair that they can devalue my house and I cant sue them.

Yes I know legally its OK, its just annoying.

Would be a civil case if it was to die?

Can you get pet beavers in the uk? Would pay for up to 3k.

Or can I snap off the higher branches that overhand my side hoping that they break near the base?

knittingdad Thu 04-Jun-15 12:24:07

Do you have photos showing the view from before the tree grew so big?

This seems to me as though it's something of a loophole in the law [if you don't have any legal recourse], as when the builders applied for planning permission for the new house they will have had to consider things such as sightlines.

If I were you I would speak to the council planning department and/or a solicitor to see whether there is anything that can be done. Who knows, they might be able to issue a notice for the tree to be trimmed.

vindscreenviper Thu 04-Jun-15 12:24:09

I think that a pet beaver that will gnaw a specific tree to the point of death is going be pretty hard to find anywhere.

Hoppinggreen Thu 04-Jun-15 12:29:05

You should definitely not drill holes at the bottom of the trunk ( or even better the roots) and pour weed killer in. No, you really shouldn't do that.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 04-Jun-15 12:30:15

If the beaver gnawed the tree and it fell down on someone and killed them, you could get sued then too sad

I think you need to be very careful with the pet beaver approach.

RumbleMum Thu 04-Jun-15 12:35:07

Another thing you absolutely shouldn't do is 'bark' the tree (removing a full circle of bark round the trunk at least a few inches wide, preferably in an irregular pattern so it looks like it's been nibbled). Because that would kill the tree. No no no.

londonrach Thu 04-Jun-15 12:37:22

Whatever you do dont put a copper nail in the tree as its meant to kill the poor tree.

Collaborate Thu 04-Jun-15 12:52:58

To steal a view you'd have to own it in the first place. You didn't. The view is over someone else's land.

Doubtless when your house was built it spoiled someone else's view. Perhaps if they make themselves known to you, you can take down your house brick by brick?

stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 12:53:04

Love you non judgemental girls grin

Not sure about drilling - might be too noisey. Was thinking about a corkscrew a bit so it was silent and looked more like an animal did it. The ringing idea is good. And then a bit of a splash of sbk. What time of year is best?

For the copper nail I'm worried that would make it far too obvious when they call someone in to hopefully remove the dead tree no?

Seeline Thu 04-Jun-15 13:04:46

Have you spoken to the tree's owner to see if they'll have it pruned, or whether they would be willing to let you pay to have it pruned?
Legally you can cut off anything that is overhanging your property, as long as you offer the of-cuts to the owner.

WayneRooneysHair Thu 04-Jun-15 13:07:43

I'd laugh if you get arrested.

maninawomansworld Thu 04-Jun-15 13:10:21

What you should absolutely not do under any circumstances is to dig down on your side of the base and locate a nice big thick root.

Then you must not cut a nice long gash in the root (lengthways) and fill the gash with weedkiller or salt as this would take the poison straight to the main root ball and kill the tree within weeks.

Something absolutely never to be done is to leave the trench open (but hidden - perhaps with a tarpaulin and some leaves over it) as then you could reapply the chosen poison often, under the cover of darkness perhaps.

Tree would be dead in weeks.

stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 13:12:55

Yes spoken to the owner "my property I can do what I like with it" so I left it there . brick wall.

404UsernameNotFound Thu 04-Jun-15 14:28:49

YABU
You bought a house, not a view and if you carry out any of the above suggestions you can be arrested for criminal damage, the outcome of which will be putting your neighbour back in the position he was before killing his trees, so you'll have a criminal record, a nice bill to replace mature trees and still no view.

Your neighbour isn't stupid, you've already raised it as a concern so do you really think that the trees suddenly dying off wont be investigated further?

The5DayChicken Thu 04-Jun-15 14:31:42

I'd go with manina's idea if there are roots on your land. I think you'd be a lot safer legally with that approach.

Reignbeau Thu 04-Jun-15 14:34:00

Poor trees, please don't murder them sad.

Saying that, I still prefer a paper book over a kindle so maybe I'm a tree murdering hypocrite grin.

stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 14:53:18

Well I have taken legal advice. Pretty difficult for anything to stick to me, not in a conservation area and not a protected tree.

Yes I bought a house, but its just rude to plant trees on the boundary in a small garden especially as there was no need for it privacy wise.

Might get a few friends round and on a windy night see if we can pull it over. Oh no look what that wind has done

knittingdad Thu 04-Jun-15 14:54:54

You bought a house, not a view

I don't think this is true. According to the blog of this planning lawyer, one of the grounds on which planning permission might be refused is:

The loss of existing views from neighbouring properties would adversely affect the residential amenity of neighbouring owners.

In the original planning application for the newer house they will have had to show that they were not unreasonably impeding the view from the existing houses. If a tree now does block such a view, then I think the OP has a case for taking this to the cancel for an enforcement notice, to have the tree trimmed and the view restored.

ilovesooty Thu 04-Jun-15 15:08:08

I was almost taking this seriously until the OP started asking about pet beavers.

But only almost. grin

MissPenelopeLumawoo2 Thu 04-Jun-15 15:16:13

Your neighbour will probably be keeping an eye out now, if anything happens to the tree he will know where to come....

Trees that die of suddenly can be tested for 'foul play' (my tree surgeon told me that) and if it traced back to you then you can be charged with criminal damage. He could also sue you through the civil courts for compensation after loss of his property (tree). Is it really worth it? What is this view of exactly, that you would risk all that for it?

IrianofWay Thu 04-Jun-15 15:22:50

What sort of tree?

stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 15:28:03

Well if I make it look like animal or wind damage good luck trying to pin it on me.

I can imagine it would be quite lengthly to get me to replace these four trees. It happily pay the cost of new ones though. And the new ones would be dead easy to kill before they establish.

ilovesooty Thu 04-Jun-15 15:30:12

Actually I'd like to see the group of friends under cover of darkness on a windy night. Imagine an invitation to a tree killing party, sinking the drinks all night until the wishing hour when they creep out to pull over the tree.

It sounds hilarious - like something out of Midsomer Murders. grin

Niloufes Thu 04-Jun-15 15:31:09

You don't have a right to a view but there are other angles you could approach this from. Are there any planning conditions in the trees owners deeds that prevent against such trees being grown to such a height being planted? Also do the trees form a hedge (a line of 2 or more evergreen/semi evergreen trees). If so does the hedge affect your property in other ways? For example light levels in house and garden, oppresive nature, ability to grow plants/use garden etc). If so you could make a complaint to the council under the Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003. See High Hedges Complaints: Prevention and Cure here:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-hedges-complaints-prevention-and-cure

londonrach Thu 04-Jun-15 15:31:21

Your view op..grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now