Talk

Advanced search

to compare this cricked neck pain to labour :(

(14 Posts)
Confusedmartie999 Thu 04-Jun-15 08:41:41

In absolute agony made worse by the fact we are on holiday ( centreparcs so not a relaxing one! )
Have two young children who need entertaining all day and am in absolute agony with this cricked neck after waking up like it Tuesday morning.
The nerve pain is travelling all down my back as well as up my head and no amount of deep heat or painkillers are touching the bloody thing.
How long will this last? Please god let it go away soon!!!

shouldnthavesaid Thu 04-Jun-15 08:44:18

You need nerve specific pain killers, standard stuff won't do much. Best to see the GP , might even be able to get diazepam or something to calm the muscles. Try in the meantime a hot shower, hot or cold compresses and to keep as mobile as possible. Building up the gentle exercise (some stretching, swimming) will help.

shouldnthavesaid Thu 04-Jun-15 08:45:00

Just noticed you're on holiday, could you nip to a walk in centre or call 111?

CornishYarg Thu 04-Jun-15 09:09:09

YANBU. The two most painful things I've experienced are labour and a nerve spasm in my back.

As shouldn't says, try to find a walk-in centre or go to a nearby GP and see if they can see you as a one-off patient. You need a strong painkiller and anti-inflammatories. Also, I've always been told that ice is the thing for nerve pain rather than heat.

TwinkieTwinkle Thu 04-Jun-15 09:29:49

Not being unreasonable at all. Literally the worst pain I've ever had since labour was a neck spasm. Happened over night and it was so bad that I couldn't actually get out of bed on my own. Had to get my father to take me to hospital where I was told I pretty much had to wait it out. It was horrendous. Bit of advice, once it's better please get yourself a memory foam pillow, offers more support and has really helped me stop having the same problem. I was told at the hospital that it might happen again in future.

CarrotVan Thu 04-Jun-15 09:56:57

Find a local osteopath and get an adjustment. I did much the same a couple of weeks ago and had to carry my head at a weird angle until my osteopath sorted it out

frostyfingers Thu 04-Jun-15 10:11:25

Are you able to go to the Spa and have some gentle treatment there, or sit in whirlpool type thing? It is agony I agree - I cricked my neck a couple of weeks ago and was practically weeping in pain, I couldn't raise my arms to get anything over my head, brush my hair or eat, unbelievable pain for 2 days then suddenly gone as quick as it came.

YANBU. I had a major back spasm several years ago. Definitely comparable to labour, and it went on for much longer. And it still plays up occasionally. Definitely get help ASAP, especially if you can't rest it.

Thudercatsrule Thu 04-Jun-15 10:55:48

This happened to me last Friday at Centerparcs, I hurt my neck on the Cyclone. I found the heat from the steam/sauna at the villa helped as well as the whirlpool. I also booked in for a neck/shoulder/back massage at the spa, it really helped and made the rest of the weekend bearable!

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Thu 04-Jun-15 11:01:11

I pulled something last week. My shoulders and neck are now all crunchy and I'm so tired of the pain. Something with codeine in it helps relax the muscles as well as being the only pain relief to touch it, but you should only use it for a few days. Ibuprofen will help with the inflammation too.

Get some heat on it and a massage if you can. They really help. I find seeing an osteopath when it's still inflamed often makes it worse in the short term, but definitely worth doing once it's loosened up a bit.

I feel your pain (literally) flowers

WyrdByrd Thu 04-Jun-15 17:35:55

All I know is I stayed conscious throughout 24 hours of induced labour, but fainted with pain when I cricked my neck suddenly, so based on that YANBU.

Could you get hold of a microwave wheat bag? They're very soothing.

Confusedmartie999 Fri 05-Jun-15 10:55:31

I didn't want to ruin the kids holiday by having to leave and drive to a hospital ( closest was miles away )
I did have a massage which only helped whilst it was being done, deep heat did nothing and a ice pack didn't help either.
I feel exausted from the pain it's making my head foggy and I feel sick constantly.
Going home today and have an appt Monday with the doctor but will go to my local a&e over the weekend if it gets any worse.
I've had a cricked neck before but nothing like this.
Thanks for your replies, I felt like I was over reacting to the pain but it's bloody awful sad

logicalfallacy101 Fri 05-Jun-15 11:02:51

Poor you Confused....Sympathy in massive amounts. No advice that hasn't been suggested ^. Except, when you turn or change position shrug your shoulders up, hold then turn or move. flowers

Confusedmartie999 Fri 05-Jun-15 12:44:06

Thankyou.
Amazing how since turning 30 my body has broken down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now