Talk

Advanced search

To use the communal garden?

(15 Posts)
SisterSage Wed 03-Jun-15 18:23:04

Because the people in the ground floor flats definitely think I am... We live on the first floor. DS is 10 months and just starting to love crawling about in the grass. I try mostly to take him to the park that's a few minutes walk away but sometimes that is just too much faff for the time available. I don't hover outside their patios, don't stare in their windows, keep time spent and noise to a minimum, but am still getting evil looks, pointedly slammed windows and curtains and now previously friendly downstairs neighbour has started blanking me. To be fair, none of the other upstairs flats seem to use it, but it's supposed to be communal ffs! Am I BVU and breaking some massive unwritten rule of flat-dwelling etiquette?

Mintyy Wed 03-Jun-15 18:24:52

No, yanbu, your neighbour is bu.

FenellaFellorick Wed 03-Jun-15 18:26:29

not at all.

Might be a good idea to talk to the management company and ask them to send a letter out to all flats reminding them that the outdoor space is for all residents to enjoy.

TedAndLola Wed 03-Jun-15 18:27:03

YANBU. I can understand why they don't like it - I would be the same - but that's why I don't live somewhere with a communal garden!

SisterSage Wed 03-Jun-15 18:28:54

Exactly Ted - I am sympathetic to them feeling like it's 'their' space, hence trying not I overuse it, but the fact is it isn't, which they must have known when they bought it!

TedAndLola Wed 03-Jun-15 18:35:03

You're being very considerate - more than a lot of people would. Do try not to let them make you feel uncomfortable, this is a problem of their own making!

FuckyNell Wed 03-Jun-15 18:37:33

Buy a sandpit and a water table!

peltata Wed 03-Jun-15 18:38:40

Is it obvious it is a communal garden? Just in case both you and your neighbours think they are both in the right.

SisterSage Wed 03-Jun-15 18:46:12

peltata it definitely is- it's in the deeds that it's communal. And fairly obvious I think- steps lead down from the carpark, it's not like you have to go into a gate or something, plus four different flats have patio doors onto it so it's definitely at the very least communal between them!

peltata Wed 03-Jun-15 18:52:47

In that case YANBU smile . The other people may have had a bad experience in the past and so your presence there triggers their memory and reaction to you being there - or they could be selfish and trying to keep it for themselves, you'll have to be the judge on that one.

x2boys Wed 03-Jun-15 19:24:44

I used to live in a downstairs flat with communal gardens I did close my curtains but only because my boys made a godawful mess and my living room faced directly onto the garden and were always in and out of the patio doors I had no issues with other residents using the garden I just didn't want them judging me on the messgrin

x2boys Wed 03-Jun-15 19:27:09

And the gardens were always filled with my boys paddling pools etc you have every right tonus it.

x2boys Wed 03-Jun-15 19:27:20

Use it!

maninawomansworld Thu 04-Jun-15 10:48:32

Check your rental agreement / deeds, check with the management company as to the exact status of the garden.
If (as it most likely is) it is a communal garden for everyone then report the problems to the management company and get them to drop everyone a 'friendly' reminder letter that the garden is for everyone to enjoy.

Of you could just photocopy the appropriate passage in the rental agreement / deeds yourself and drop a 'helpful' copy through everyone's letterboxes yourself (they don't need to know who it's from if you don't want).

notaplasticgnome Thu 04-Jun-15 11:18:04

I agree with getting the Management Co to send out a polite reminder.

Are the residents perhaps renting and weren't made aware by their landlords that the garden is shared by all the flats?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now