to find watching Dinner Date difficult

(15 Posts)
BloodyHellFireMary Wed 03-Jun-15 15:43:56

due to some of the participants having dreadful table manners ?

Am watching an episode and the cutlery handling is dire.

DoJo Wed 03-Jun-15 15:46:45

If that's the only reason you find it difficult to watch, then yes, YABU.

DoJo Wed 03-Jun-15 15:46:45

If that's the only reason you find it difficult to watch, then yes, YABU.

fleamadonna Wed 03-Jun-15 15:47:14

that is appalling.

Mumblechum1 Wed 03-Jun-15 15:49:08

Looks like an old person's hands; maybe they have arthritis or something? <<charitable>>

OrangesLemons Wed 03-Jun-15 15:51:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BloodyHellFireMary Wed 03-Jun-15 15:55:15

Ah the image is just one I picked up online - not a snap from the show.

It's a crappy show anyway tbh - but I like to see the outcome at the end - very few ever have a second date.

mileend2bermondsey Wed 03-Jun-15 15:55:38

I work in a restaurant and some of the table manners I see are enough to make you cry (and this is in a 'high end' michelin star restaurant).

I particularly enjoy watching Americans eat as they seem to be under some person challange to eat their entire meal without ever using a knife. Or if a knife is absolutely required it will be used for 30 seconds at the start of the meal to cut everything into bite sized pieces like you would do for a child.

mileend2bermondsey Wed 03-Jun-15 15:56:21

Anyway YABU to watch Dinner Date, dire programme.

DoJo Wed 03-Jun-15 16:01:30

Is how you hold your cutlery really a question of 'manners' though? Surely knives and forks are tools designed to convey food to your mouth - using them in the way that feels most comfortable is hardly rude in the same way that talking with your mouth full or wiping your nose on your neighbour's sleeve is, is it?

Mumblechum1 Wed 03-Jun-15 16:05:49

MileEnd that's the accepted "correct" method in the States, though. Waiters have looked at me askance when I use the knife and fork in the English manner

Feminine Wed 03-Jun-15 16:08:00

mile
But that is how Americans do it.
The forks are much bigger there.
It isn't bad manners.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 03-Jun-15 16:20:33

Eating utensils and the wielding of them varies between cultures. If you're perturbed by an American using a knife and fork differently to some British people, you'd best give large areas of the globe a miss - I hear some countries don't even use knives and forks shock

Claralikessage Wed 03-Jun-15 17:11:59

This seems to be a recent development. If you look at films or programmes made between 10 and 20 years ago people/actors can use their cutlery properly then.
You ANBU!

WixingMords Fri 19-Jun-15 12:35:10

Forks are bigger in the USA? Well never knew that!!

Everyday is a school day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now