Talk

Advanced search

To Ask For Surprise Party Organised Against My Wishes To Be Cancelled?

(13 Posts)
freshstart24 Wed 03-Jun-15 06:56:53

I will be 40 in October. I don't party often, but despite being almost 40 I still enjoy going out sometimes. However, I hate being the centre of attention. I can't even bear to do something like walk to the front of an event to collect s raffle prize.
I have told all my nearest and dearest that i really really really would not like a surprise birthday party. I think I made it obvious that it would be a complete nightmare of an experience for me.

lucidlady Wed 03-Jun-15 06:58:07

Have they actually organised something? Tbh if you've told them you don't want a party, would they really go ahead and organise one?

DamnBamboo Wed 03-Jun-15 06:58:13

So are you now aware of this not so surprise party then?

GaryBaldy Wed 03-Jun-15 06:58:37

YANBU at all. Surprise parties are rarely a good idea.

DamnBamboo Wed 03-Jun-15 06:59:57

Why not Gary?
I've been to a few and they were well received.

YANBU.

Horsemad Wed 03-Jun-15 07:01:53

I don't think you WBU if you refused to attend. You have made your views clear. I wouldn't go if it were me as I'd hate a surprise party. Luckily, my family have always taken me at my word and never arranged one!!

MythicalKings Wed 03-Jun-15 07:04:44

That would be my idea of hell. I hate surprises. Those nearest tome would never do it but my workmates organised something for my 50th and I just had to grin and bear it.

00100001 Wed 03-Jun-15 07:05:17

Is this party actually happening??

Whichseason Wed 03-Jun-15 07:06:38

Why don't you suggest something that you would enjoy? Close family meeting for brunch and/or going out for dinner with friends.

hobnobsaremyfave Wed 03-Jun-15 07:06:47

My husband organised a surprise fortieth for me.
Whilst I appreciated the sentiment I have asked him never to do anything similar again.
It's certainly not for everyone

NRomanoff Wed 03-Jun-15 07:06:52

It would be my idea of hell and everyone knows this. I assume you have discovered one has been organised. Ywnbu to say you don't want it. Who organised it and why did they think it was a good idea when you had told them you didn't want one?

freshstart24 Wed 03-Jun-15 07:21:33

OP here- thank you for the responses. I'm sorry- I pressed post too soon on my OP.

Yes I have found that a party is being organised. I've started a second AIBU post with full details.

Sorry for the half post!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now