Talk

Advanced search

To ask how big of a car I need for 3 children?

(81 Posts)
NKfell Tue 02-Jun-15 16:54:20

It hits me sporadically through the day while I'm at Mumsnet...I mean, work...I need a new car. It's got the point where I push it out of mind.

So, I have a Fiat 500 for my current 2- almost 6 and 2.5 but now with this one due in a month(!!) I need another car.

I don't want a big car because a small car is very convenient where I live and drive to. I've managed perfectly comfortably with the 500 for 4 years but baby number 3 really pushes it.

I have a little bit of equity in this car to part ex so I'll be spending up to £15k absolute maximum.

Help?

SoupDragon Tue 02-Jun-15 16:59:21

YANBU

Cocosnapper Tue 02-Jun-15 17:03:31

A fiat 500 isn't going to cut it. For 3 kids you really need something with 3 seats across the back (citroen c4) or a 7 seater. I think the smallest that'd do the job is citroen Picasso, the 5 seater.

MaxPepsi Tue 02-Jun-15 17:05:37

You need a big car, despite not wanting one.

VacantExpression Tue 02-Jun-15 17:08:58

Zafira perfect for me. Nearly everyone at my youngest's school with more than two children has a Touran, Zafira, or C4 Picasso. Sorry if not what you wanted to hear but soooo much easier for three children- and they can have friends home from school easily!

NKfell Tue 02-Jun-15 17:09:24

But what's the smallest big car? I'm not getting a 7 seater- it would be a nightmare around here!

Sirzy Tue 02-Jun-15 17:11:09

Small cars and 3 children in car seats don't really go I am afraid!

My sister had a megane but that was a squeeze (and her eldest was old enough for booster cushion) so has now gone to a zafira which is ideal size

TwistAndShout Tue 02-Jun-15 17:12:22

Meriva might work? Not huge but can fit 3 seats in back.

LaLyra Tue 02-Jun-15 17:14:00

You need to buy the biggest car you are comfortable driving and then spend an afternoon at Halfords trying different combinations of car seats across the back seat until you fit them all in.

MarbulousMarvin Tue 02-Jun-15 17:17:20

I've a fiat up to grande and have managed to have three car seats in the rear on occasion

MaxPepsi Tue 02-Jun-15 17:21:35

I had a focus. Classed as a medium sized car.
I didn't fit one seat and 2 boosters so that should give you some idea.

Try looking at an estate, yes they are big, but not as bulky and high off the ground as some other 'smaller' cars.

Sidge Tue 02-Jun-15 17:21:46

You don't need a 7 seater but you do need a car big enough to take 3 child seats and possibly a double pushchair unless your 2.5 year old is a good walker.

You could have a small hatchback, something like a Fiesta or a Focus (for example) but would struggle with boot space, unless you go for an estate. Also the 6 year old could have their booster seat in the front most of the time but you might struggle when they need to go in the back if there is another adult travelling with you.

SaucyJack Tue 02-Jun-15 17:22:46

Stop farting about and just get a Zafira. There's a reason every other person on the school run has one.

Magicalmrmistofeles Tue 02-Jun-15 17:23:50

I can't get a baby seat and two Britax first stage across the back in my zafira. What seat is the oldest in?

Methe Tue 02-Jun-15 17:25:31

I've got a skoda yeti and it would easily house 3 children and all the associated crap Equipment.

3 children in a small car would be really shit.

NKfell Tue 02-Jun-15 17:27:32

I'll just have a single pushchair- with a buggy board type of thing and I'm not too worried about the boot- living with a 500 soon knocks that out of you!

Mistigri Tue 02-Jun-15 17:29:20

Is this a second car that you only use for you and the kids? If so you have a few more options as you can put the baby in front for a while, and then swap and put the oldest in the passenger seat. We used to do a school run every day with 3 kids in a Toyota Yaris.

If you're used to a small car you probably don't have one of those ridiculously enormous pushchairs and boot space will be less of an issue.

NKfell Tue 02-Jun-15 17:30:37

My almost 6 yr old is in Recaro Milano although he sits on a booster in DPs car so that's an option- I just like the idea of more protection.

Patilla Tue 02-Jun-15 17:32:37

Maybe you need to think about what makes a car seem "big" to you. Because you might find that if a car is really manoeuvrable, with parking sensors and well powered steering that it doesn't feel as "big" as it looks from the outside, perhaps?

overmydeadbody Tue 02-Jun-15 17:32:42

I'd go for a Volvo S70, very reliable. Might be too 'old man' car for you, but the Swedes do make very reliable cars.

AGnu Tue 02-Jun-15 17:32:52

Another vote for the Yeti. I adore ours. I learnt to drive on a 500 & switching between the 2 was a bit weird but it's just so much more comfortable & spacious but without feeling like a tank. We currently have 2 DC but I've always said I'd like 4. One of the things currently making me doubt that plan is that I'd have to give up my beloved Yeti! blush

Cadenza1818 Tue 02-Jun-15 17:33:28

I also refused! In my volvo and skoda octavia we managed a baby seat and two boosters. You can do it! I would say though it was a faff. I've relinquished and got the Picasso.

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 02-Jun-15 17:34:09

we bought an 8 seater VW when DS2 was only 3m old.
maybe I always knew that we'd eventually fill it up...and then some moregrin
we have now 7 kids and had to buy a second car. but the "bus" is just brilliant, I can park it most places without trouble.
it's really useful to have a big boot (double puschair uncollapsed fits in it!) and have extra seats for bringing friends home for playdates etc. (I don't drive oldest to to school).

VW caravelle or transporter are both good. consider them.
and good luck with birthsmile

overmydeadbody Tue 02-Jun-15 17:34:43

I don't think you need to go 'big' though, as in 7 seater, you've only got three children and they won't be in car seats forever.

SignoraStronza Tue 02-Jun-15 17:35:50

My little Fabia serves me well with an 8 year old, 2 .5 year old and a baby. The eldest sits in the front and the little ones in the back. The Phil and Teds double fits in the boot, but if I'm doing the supermarket shop then it'll be ditched in favour of the sling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now