Talk

Advanced search

To send toddler back to nursery after exposure to chicken pox?

(10 Posts)
ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Mon 01-Jun-15 19:42:04

Oldest DD just getting over chicken pox, youngest (18mo) showing no signs. As oldest back at sch tomorrow, I'm back to work so youngest also back to nursery. It is very likely she will develop chicken pox (DH says possibly apparently up to 20 days later) Presumably at the moment then she is infectious to others? (obviuosly only if she goes on to develop it, which, although likely, is not a given!). I feel bad sending her in to nursery but cannot take more time off work when I do not have currently sick children! Thoughts?

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Mon 01-Jun-15 19:42:33

obviously!

shushpenfold Mon 01-Jun-15 19:43:47

Mine all came out after exactly 14 days exposure. I would send her in to be honest as she may not develop it.

Reignbeau Mon 01-Jun-15 19:46:08

I wouldn't keep her off unless she seemed unwell, high temperature etc meaning she is likely to come down with it soon. It's not reasonable for anyone to expect you to take up to 3 weeks off work with her just in case she comes down with it.

x2boys Mon 01-Jun-15 19:46:41

My two go too separate schools as ds2 has special needs ds1 got chicken pox four weeks ago and I knew ds2 would be contagious he got it a the start of the half term oops! He got it about two weeks after his brother and a week after his brother went back to school!

Purplepoodle Mon 01-Jun-15 19:53:54

Unless she is unwell then I wouldn't keep her off

whatsagoodusername Mon 01-Jun-15 19:53:57

I'd probably send mine. But maybe warn the staff? They would probably know if there are any children for whom it would cause serious problems.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Mon 01-Jun-15 19:58:26

Thank you! I just felt very awkward when I rang nursery today to say DD2 would be back tomorrow as big sis was better and she herself wasn't showing any signs yet! If she does develop them I'll feel awful for potentially exposing a whole load of other kids/staff to the dreaded pox!!

x2boys Mon 01-Jun-15 19:59:07

You can't keep her off just in case she may well develop chicken pox but but possibly she won't.

Stopandlook Mon 01-Jun-15 20:00:20

I think they are used to it and wouldn't expect you to keep a child off until they were poorly. Good to warn the staff of course in case of pregnancy etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now