To worry about 3 year old sleeping under the blankets?

(5 Posts)
AliceAnneB Mon 01-Jun-15 06:33:09

Our 3 year old DS tends to wander into bed with us at some point during the night. He will burrow down under the bedding between DH and I. The bedding consists of a flat sheet, wool blanket and cotton quilt. He goes so far under his head ends up at my hip. DH says he's fine and he's old enough to wake up if he was struggling but I'm not so sure. He's a thrasher when he sleeps so I'm not sure him actually struggling would wake me? AIBU to be concerned?

NormaStits Mon 01-Jun-15 07:39:45

I wouldn't like this either. I can't stand sleeping with even a sheet over my face so don't understand how it's possible to breathe under heavy bedclothes. Also I'd worry about him being trapped if both of us pulled the blankets tight in the night or didn't quite leave enough space for him to wriggle up.

I think your point about him being a thrasher is the key, you're either risking him thrashing for help and being ignored or you're resigning yourself to a terrible sleep as you wake every time he kicks in case he's suffocating.

I'm not sure how much of a genuine risk there is but I think it's about peace of mind for you.

AlwaysAFool Mon 01-Jun-15 07:53:36

I cant imagine how he can be comfortable breathing but he must get enough air To do it.
Our breathing is probably slower when we sleep so it probably balances out.

My dc completely cover her face with blanket and duvet when she sleeps and she is still breathing.

Velociraptor Mon 01-Jun-15 07:53:48

YANBU. That would worry me too. He must get baking hot under there too.

ginmakesitallok Mon 01-Jun-15 08:03:58

If he gets baking hot then he'll come up for air. Yabu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now