Aibu to think the majority want to sleep?

(62 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 31-May-15 23:11:05

First time post, so I'll try not to waffle!
I know everybody is entitled to a holiday, but...
I was camping with ds in the Easter holidays.
We were in a field of families, with kids of all sorts. All generally mucking in together during the days, then generally going back for tea and bed between about 8-9. So far so good.
Apart from the odd-ball couple, who plonked their tent in the middle of the field (no kids, only 2 adults).
I don't want to say his snoring was bad, but 3 dads from the next field came to see what the row was! She was seen up walking around half the night...

If you know you (or your dp) snore loud enough to wake people in the next field, wouldn't you try to either go on holiday in term time (if you could, assuming they weren't teachers or something)
Or at least plonk your tent on the edge of the field/ in a corner/ not on a field full of small kids when you don't have kids with you. Lots of other spaces were free.

Theycallmemellowjello Sun 31-May-15 23:19:45

I think yabu. You have to expect to hear a bit of noise when you go camping. I'm not sure you could suggest people with other medical conditions avoid holiday spots when others are there, so why is it ok for a snorer? Basically I don't think it is ok and not very nice to call them 'odd' because he snored. And people book holidays when it's convenient for them, no rule saying that only those with kids can go away when schools are off. I had no idea when the school holidays were before I had a child.

SaucyJack Sun 31-May-15 23:21:24

Snorers simply don't know or don't care how awful it is for everyone else.

Bastards.

WorraLiberty Sun 31-May-15 23:28:10

OMG I've seen some breathtakingly child centric posts before but this one wins hands down! grin

YABU

It must be awful to be in a tent near a snorer but WTF does it have to do with children specifically?

And the next field really?

Riiiiight

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 31-May-15 23:28:35

I didn't say he was odd for snoring, I said they were odd for putting their tent in a field of families when they had no kids with them.

The camp site was large, with 'suggested' areas for families (near the play ground) and other areas for couples/ adults who wanted more peaceful space, away from kids.

It was odd for them to be in the middle of the field, when pitches were marked around the edge. Leaving the middle for kids to play, where parents can all keep an eye on them.

They arrived on our 3rd day. Nights 1&2 were in no way silent, but I think most people slept.

Only1scoop Sun 31-May-15 23:30:36

"Oddball couple" confused
Why?

Because they snore

Or because they didn't fit your 'happy campers' stereotype

MrsNextDoor Sun 31-May-15 23:32:16

What a lot of bollocks. YABU..."suggested" doesn't mean exclusive. And the centre of the field is for tents! Just because nobody was there apart from that couple, didn't mean it was "for the children to play on"...they came, they pitched...fair enough. Others might have too on a busier weekend.

WorraLiberty Sun 31-May-15 23:34:26

they came, they pitched...fair enough

No, no MrsNextdoor I think you'll find they came, they 'plonked'...it was probably just the OP and other non snorers who 'pitched' tents in the normal way.

grin

So it would have been ok for them to go and snore in the more peaceful part of the campsite? Maybe they thought they were being considerate by going in the family bit which was likely to be noisier anyway and pitching in the centre so they were as far as possible from the other tents?

Only1scoop Sun 31-May-15 23:36:50

'3 dads from the next field'

Wow Op you seem to know the family arrangements of whose who on that site

What a tarpaulin twitcher you are

Summerisle1 Sun 31-May-15 23:40:26

The cheek of some people, eh? Come to a campsite and pitch a tent in the camping field. You want to be laying man traps round your exclusive parts next time, OP. That'll stop the chancy snoring fuckers and their oddball ways.

Klayden Sun 31-May-15 23:42:33

You cannot be serious. grin

WorraLiberty Sun 31-May-15 23:42:58

What are the chances that 3 people in the same field were all thick enough not to recognise snoring when they didn't hear it? grin

mrsfuzzy Sun 31-May-15 23:43:15

i'm a bit worried about the op, i think she's a member of the secret tent police, it's put me off camping in case she is in the next tent. snorers aside what about the fresh air inspired frisky couples ?? ooer missus, may be they would be reported too.

AlternativeTentacles Sun 31-May-15 23:45:21

What is an oddball couple when it is at home?

Only1scoop Sun 31-May-15 23:45:26

I'm getting that Babs Windsor scene in my head now....grin

wowfudge Mon 01-Jun-15 00:15:15

One without children that dares to put the tent up near families with children apparently Alternative.

mayfridaycomequickly Mon 01-Jun-15 00:18:59

My dp snores like a hog - and we have a ds... where should we plonk our tent?

Oh and- and bed at 9? I'll just be opening the gin!

Happy camping!

BluddyMoFo Mon 01-Jun-15 00:22:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RobotHamster Mon 01-Jun-15 00:25:51

Have the rest of you even slept under canvas? Fuck snorers. Stay in a place with soundproofing. Gits.

MidniteScribbler Mon 01-Jun-15 00:32:24

This is why I only camp under five stars.

ClawofBumhead Mon 01-Jun-15 00:35:52

Oh no, someone snores.

Now the precious snowflakes will lie awake all night unaware that they need to learn to deal with it, and people will have to pretend to sympathize when they moan.

holidaysarenice Mon 01-Jun-15 00:53:01

A hotel solves problems!

BrockAuLit Mon 01-Jun-15 00:56:22

There really is not so queer as folk!

mrsfuzzy Mon 01-Jun-15 00:56:52

do people really go to bed at 9pm on camp sites ???? i'd be setting up the camp fire ready for a good old sing song and a few bottles of naice wine, with cheese and biccies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now