to be peeved that builder has posted pics of our house on facebook?

(21 Posts)
Bronwen11 Sat 30-May-15 22:41:24

Builder has posted before, work in progress and after pictures of the front of our house on his company's facebook page. Very unflattering before photos - front of house was a mess. Anyone who has passed our house or lives nearby would undoubtedly recognise the house. No names of address given but still ..

He hadn't asked us for permission to use photos that he'd clearly taken at the start, during and the end of the work. We came across them almost by accident, looking for some info about his company which we thought we'd find on its facebook page.

On one level, not unduly bothered but, on another, bothered - as the house is so recognisable from the photos and we wonder whether this isn't a breach of confidentiality/privacy or if it's accepted practice. AIBU to be a bit peeved that he didn't ask us? I'm not sure what I've have said but at least I'd have had a chance to think about it.

SurlyCue Sat 30-May-15 22:44:01

I would get in touch and say you were surprised to see them on FB as you hadnt been asked and (if you prefer) that you would like him to remove them from his FB page. Suggest to him that he might want to seek permission in future.

Icimoi Sat 30-May-15 23:32:19

I don't see how it can possibly be any breach of confidentiality. The vast majority of houses are clearly visible to people passing, and already appear on Google Earth..

Bronwen11 Sat 30-May-15 23:43:53

Thanks for these replies. Icimol - I suppose my point is that the front of our house was in a dire state and the photos are close-up and very vivid.
Thank you Surly, I might just get back and suggest that in future permission is sought from clients with whom the company obviously has a professional relationship.

steff13 Sun 31-May-15 07:45:12

Are you sure there was nothing in the contract that said photos of your home may be used for their advertising?

Regardless, if he took the photos and did the work, it seems like he'd have the right to share it.

Bronwen11 Sun 31-May-15 08:25:17

staff13 - there was no contract, just tax invoices. You could be right - he has a right to share - but a part of me feels that it would have cost him nothing to ask. The house was so conspicuous until we got the work done.

exLtEveDallasNoBollocks Sun 31-May-15 08:33:28

You are just embarassed because you think your house looked a state before the work was done. How about just being pleased that it looks good now?

Furball Sun 31-May-15 08:37:19

Similar happen to us, the architect put pics of before and after on his webpage without saying anything.

I think it's just one of those things, I took it as a compliment that they were just as impressed with the transformation as we were. smile

It's how they get business these days as if you were a prospective customer you would like to see evidence

DontOpenDeadInside Sun 31-May-15 08:39:21

Dp is a gardener and usually takes before/after pics. He's not asked anyone. I thought it was normal, though obviously he doesn't put the address.

mildlymiffed Sun 31-May-15 08:39:40

I don't really see why it matters. He'll have very limited people who are interested, and really those will be future clients- who equally will have houses which need work. Would you have said no if he'd asked?

If you would have said no, for the sake of maintaining a good relationship for future work, ask him to take them down.

If you would have said yes, I'd leave it and bask in how good your house looks!

TheChandler Sun 31-May-15 08:41:30

there was no contract, just tax invoices

There was a contract, just an unwritten one.

If he is using images of your home for marketing purposes, I would say that's quite likely an infringement of the usual implied terms and conditions in such contracts. Its courtesy at least to ask. And if an architect with a professional body, such as in Furball's example above, did the same thing, they risk a complaint being made to that professional body, who undoubtedly have a code of conduct covering client privacy.

Bronwen11 Sun 31-May-15 08:42:05

I'm sure you're right, Furball - and others. I was just so surprised, especially as I'd been talking, very amiably, to the builder, on the morning that the pics went up. If people recognise the house, so be it. Nothing illegal about having rotting wood, peeling paint ... The builders have made a huge difference. Just that niggling feeling that it would have been courteous/professional to have asked ...

Grumpyoldbiddy Sun 31-May-15 08:46:11

I thought usual practice was that if they wanted to use your house to advertise (which is essentially what he is doing) that is discussed as part of the price negotiation - which they normally start higher on and with all the 'reductions' for this that and the other they end up with the price they wanted in the first place.

Bronwen11 Sun 31-May-15 08:47:01

TheChandler - thank you for pointing out that there was indeed a contract. It is all rather odd - a pleasant relationship, slightly marred, I feel by putting a number of photos on GB.

As it happens, I emailed the builder to ask him if/how the long the work was guaranteed for (in the absence of a written contract). He replied saying two years but that any problems with the door and paint should go to the retailers from whom he, as the tradesman, bought the products. I don't have receipts for these, obviously, and I'd have expected him to assume responsibility for these items.

mrsmilesmatheson Sun 31-May-15 09:03:37

My dh runs a small building firm and we post photos on our website and Facebook for marketing purposes.

But, this is mentioned in our terms and conditions which customer accept when they accept a quote in writing.

For jobs where we haven't quoted in writing, we always check with the customer first.

The builder should have asked permission.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sun 31-May-15 09:11:09

I know what you mean Bronwen, I feel it's not a huge deal but that it's just courteous to ask first. Putting up pictures, fine, putting up pictures without permission, hmm, I don't feel quite so fine about it for some reason.

TheCatsMother99 Sun 31-May-15 09:16:39

I just had my bathroom done & the guy did ask my permission to post pictures online. My bathroom before was old and frankly pretty skanky, I wouldn't have minded them being posted but I do appreciate him asking.

BluddyMoFo Sun 31-May-15 09:22:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Furball Sun 31-May-15 09:38:55

To be honest I was abit peeved when I originally saw the pics, as it he didn't ask, but soon realised it's not really worth getting in a bother about as I was never going to approach him about it, so there was never going to be an answer.

We've since moved so all only memories anyway grin

EastMidsMummy Sun 31-May-15 09:45:26

He should have asked but wby does it matter? Everyone who walked past could see your house in a right state in real life until the work was done. It was hardly a secret!!

Penfold007 Sun 31-May-15 10:09:44

Our builders have photos of our bathroom before, during and after the refit on their web site. They asked us for permission and we were happy to give it. Just tell the builder to remove the images if you don't want them on view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now