Talk

Advanced search

To bring our almost 8 month old to A&E or not?

(82 Posts)
JonathanCampell Sat 30-May-15 21:12:58

Hello ladies

I'm posting for my wife. Tonight when we were getting out almost 8 month old baby changed on the floor of his nursery, our floors are carpeted and he was on his play mat, while sitting him up to get changed when he pushed himself back onto the floor (about 3 or 4 inches would be correct to him sitting up) and hit the back of his head, he'd done something similar with me when he was five months during the day but showed no signs and was alert. My wife dove in and grabbed him and he didn't cry but now she's panicking in case it has damaged him, though she put him down to sleep.

After a few minutes she l'd worked herself up and went to pick him up to check for signs but It's a tough situation because he's already tired since it was his bed time and he had his bath so when my wife picked him up it took him a few moments to come round, rubbing his eyes and eventually opening them and crying because she had woke him. He was trying to hide his face in her shirt and closing his eye to go back to sleep so when she bounced him up and down he cried for the simple fact (in my opinion) to go back to sleep so we agreed to leave him for an hour and check on him regularly and wake him up again in an hour's time.
Please ladies could you give us some advice/reassurance as this really is a tough one for her. It's our first child and much tried for child.

JonathanCampell Sat 30-May-15 21:14:58

I'm also terribly sorry for this question but my wife has worked herself up badly and feels horrible/to blame and can't directly make a choice of what she wants to do, hence why I though

JonathanCampell Sat 30-May-15 21:15:19

*thought others opinions might help

icklekid Sat 30-May-15 21:16:27

So he banged his head when changing him? My 10 month old has done that many many times and never done himself any damage. He also regularly bangs his head against his cot if he wakes in the night... if shes worried that it was bad enough that he might have concussion then yes a&e or call 111 for advice but it sounds like hes tired because its bed time...

SurlyCue Sat 30-May-15 21:16:49

He sounds absolutely fine.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Sat 30-May-15 21:17:23

I wouldn't. They have much harder heads than you think. He didn't even cry? He's fine.

DisappointedOne Sat 30-May-15 21:17:52

Unless you're hours away from medical help I would just keep an eye on him. Concussion and tired baby share symptoms. And babies and toddlers do bounce the vast majority of the time.

ineedausername Sat 30-May-15 21:17:52

Personally, I would just check on him regularly as he sleeps.
But then I have 2 kids and I'm pretty gung ho given my son is a danger magnet and has bounced, tripped and fallen a lot over 3 years.
Will he need another feed through the night? I'd be tempted to leave him a good few hours, then wake for a feed and cuddle and check on him again.

Supersoft Sat 30-May-15 21:18:24

If in doubt call Nhs direct. They have trained nurses on the other end of the phone who will advise you if your baby needs to go to out of hours gp / a&e. Probably much better to talk it though with them then a load of strangers on the Internet :-).

Buttercup27 Sat 30-May-15 21:18:55

Please don't panic. It sounds as if he's just toppled backwards from the sitting position. Babies to this all the time and he should be fine. I'm guessing he was just upset about being woken up.

Scoopmuckdizzy Sat 30-May-15 21:19:10

I wouldn't be too concerned - I know it's frightening but there will likely be so many more. He probably scared himself more than anything.

JonathanCampell Sat 30-May-15 21:19:18

I know, I e told her the same but she's normally a very worried person and our first baby hasn't made this better. She thought not crying meant there was something wrong.

No, he didn't cry at all. I think because she thought that wasn't a normal reaction it made him worse.

TwinkieTwinkle Sat 30-May-15 21:20:13

I'm sure he will be fine. My DS did similar things when he was little, they are a lot sturdier than we give them credit for. Just calm your wife and assure her you will check on him every so often to ease her worry. smile

SuperMumTum Sat 30-May-15 21:21:01

Call 111 or local out of hours gp service to ask their advice maybe? They'll probably say take him to a &e to be on the safe side though. I would personally just assume he'll be fine but I'm not a worrier in general. It sounds like your wife needs some more reassuring.

JonathanCampell Sat 30-May-15 21:21:14

I've said about calling the NHS if she feels that bad but she's terrified of being judged or told she's over reacting which I've told her they would never do. We will defiantly keep checking on him though

AlpacaMyBags Sat 30-May-15 21:22:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlejohnnydory Sat 30-May-15 21:23:14

I don't think from what you've said that you need to go to A&E. My six month old toppled backwards onto the kitchen floor earlier from sitting, she has done it a handful of times - all babies do although obviously we try to avoid it! If you need reassurance you could ring NHS direct for advice?

jessmando Sat 30-May-15 21:23:31

Have you rung NHS 111? I found them helpful when i have been worried about my baby on the evening in the weekend.

DisappointedOne Sat 30-May-15 21:23:40

Stick a bit of butter on the bump and try to relax.

sparklepopsicles Sat 30-May-15 21:23:59

We had a similar situation called nhs direct and they said as long as he could be roused then he would be fine. Just keep checking on him and maybe waking him up periodically. It's not nice for him bless when he's trying to sleep but that is what they advised. If he did not cry at the time I am sure you have nothing to worry about but if your wife is worried then call nhs direct to get it straight from them. I hope he's fine flowers

Supersoft Sat 30-May-15 21:24:20

Nhs direct won't judge her. They are there to help, reassure and offer advice. Sounds like she's very anxious in general. Nhs direct will probably reassure her that everything is fine.

DisappointedOne Sat 30-May-15 21:24:23

(Humans wouldn't have evolved thus far if a little bump on the head caused major problems ;))

DisappointedOne Sat 30-May-15 21:25:18

(Look up Phinneus Gage if you want to put it into perspective.)

Libitina Sat 30-May-15 21:26:33

Stick a bit of butter on the bump and try to relax.

Butter? Why?

Birdsgottafly Sat 30-May-15 21:27:16

My five month old Granddaughter flipped herself off a chair on to my laminated floor, she cried, but was fine.

I've known a few babies to not be strapped in buggies and fall onto concrete.

They are tougher than you think, or they wouldn't survive learning to be mobile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now