Advanced search

Where can an adult go for career advice?

(65 Posts)
fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:38:43

I think I have roughly decided that i want to retrain within the next three years and I know (again with rough parameters!) what I want to do.

What I need is advice on the best sorts of voluntary or paid work to aid me in my application, advice on accessing childcare (will have two preschool children) and ensuring my qualifications are all relevant.

As an adult, I don't know where to access this sort of advice! Does anybody?

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:39:06

Apologies, thought I was in 'chat'.

Never mind - if anybody knows, I'd be grateful grin

Chchchchangeabout Sat 30-May-15 20:44:19

Not sure about the childcare (I would probably post a question about that on mumsnet.)

For the other questions you could approach someone working/hiring in the area and ask nicely to buy them a coffee in exchange for advice. Or if there is a professional body for that area, you could contact them.

What is the area? Who knows, someone here might work in it and be able to help.

Alanna1 Sat 30-May-15 20:44:35

I think Councils have people but what you are looking for sounds harder than that. You want childcare advice as well as employment advice. Perhaps try the university you'd be attached to in re-trainning?

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:44:57

I'm interested in social work primarily. Also tentatively toying with MH nursing smile

Donthate Sat 30-May-15 20:46:44

Contact the national careers service and they will put you in touch with a local free advisor. Don't pay anyone the NCS advisors are great.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:47:07

Ah thank you flowers

Chchchchangeabout Sat 30-May-15 20:49:10

Interesting areas. Don't know myself but maybe someone who comes along will - or if not repost with a query about that area in the headline.

Universities is a good idea. Ask for someone from the careers department though rather than admissions. Admissions are there to sell you the course, careers dept more likely to be honest as they have to pick up the pieces if someone has been badly advised. I would still bear in mind that they are paid by the uni though. Ask to speak directly to some recent alums.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:49:59

My main concern would be regarding the placements. I really, really want to do it and make it work, but it IS going to be hard with children of course.

Chchchchangeabout Sat 30-May-15 20:50:58

NCS a good idea and can do no harm. But unlikely to be able to give you the best answers to the specific questions you have about the field and how to enter it.

Rummikub Sat 30-May-15 20:51:25

CAB is good for volunteering opportunities. Anywhere were you work with people. Some probation hostels will also take on volunteers.
Hospitals usually have volunteer offices.
Check out the website for volunteering opportunities.

Rummikub Sat 30-May-15 20:52:52

Local colleges are probably the best place to get free good quality careers advice.

burntthesprouts Sat 30-May-15 20:52:57

Not sure but unless you're on benefits definitely NOT the job centre! I learned this when I bumbled in my local one to see what was available after 10 years being a SAHM - advice? Guidance? Nah! After making it past the security guards (!) I was met with a weary looking employee who said that as I wasn't in receipt of benefits there was nothing they could do. I was rather surprised and left feeling rather dejected. On the scrap heap obv. as I wasn't a meaningful statistic for them to massage! How old are you - that makes a difference in terms of schemes that might be available to you.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:54:47

I am 33 - not on benefits.

I'm really hoping to use 2016 to volunteer and/or enhance my qualifications and then look into starting in the academic year 2017/18?

Chchchchangeabout Sat 30-May-15 20:58:04

A decent college/uni running the course you are interested in should be happy to put you in touch with graduates who had a similar experience to you - ask to speak to people who juggles placements with childcare.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 20:58:43

Thank you flowers They aren't HUGELY helpful on the phone - must keep trying.

Rummikub Sat 30-May-15 20:59:55

Just in case you haven't seen this. It's a good starting point.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 21:01:28

Thank you very much!

So glad I posted here now grin

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 22:26:38

What is positive is that I already meet the entry requirements. It is literally just the childcare that could prove very difficult.

Has anybody studied with young children?

ilovesooty Sat 30-May-15 22:45:24

Yes, National Careers Service - I used to be subcontracted to them. For volunteering you should have a local centre. Other wise

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 22:46:47

Thank you smile

Would the national careers service be able to indicate what TYPE of voluntary work I should really be doing?

ilovesooty Sat 30-May-15 22:48:29

They should do if they're any good.

ilovesooty Sat 30-May-15 22:50:10

Have sent a pm.

fiveacres Sat 30-May-15 22:50:51

Thanks. I'm doing a tiny bit of work, but I don't think it's as relevant as I'd hoped and to be honest it's proving a little bit much for me just at the moment. Since I only do 6 hours a week I feel a bit pathetic in saying that, though.

Do you have a one to one with a career person?

IamtheDevilsAvocado Sat 30-May-15 22:52:39

Try also the studentroom - search online. Lots of mature applicants for all sorts of courses!

On the face of it- social work placements and usually practise are usually a bit easier to fit in around kids. Usually MH nursing... At least at uni are often shifts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now