Talk

Advanced search

To think that paint just isn't as good as it used to be?

(35 Posts)
itchysofunny Fri 29-May-15 10:53:47

Bought a 5l tin of Crown sage green paint to do the box room in my house (which was originally a light cream colour). 3 coats and 75% of the tin later and the cream colour us STILL showing through in patches angry We had the same problem when painting DS nursery last year. Is it just me who thinks that paint just isn't as painty as it used to be? Or am I somehow doing it wrong??

LurkingHusband Fri 29-May-15 10:57:34

Well, at least it's safer ...

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 11:35:36

Sage green over cream would require a dark undercoat. Like grey

I work in paint and people generally blame the paint rather than lack of proper prep

itchysofunny Fri 29-May-15 11:48:22

This is the colour. Would it really need an undercoat? We painted the kitchen a light grey colour (again over cream) last week and 3 coats went on and that is also still patchy. DP is the one doing the painting and I'm generally not around when he's doing it so my first instinct was to blame him but he insists it's the paint hmm

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 11:52:23

Using a roller? How long between coats? Is it Matt?

But yes, under coats are there for a reason! Paint has had to change composition due to EU legislation, there's no way round that. Or you could've done a mist coat of the sage first. Then done 2 full coats

itchysofunny Fri 29-May-15 12:01:47

Yep it's matt and with a roller. There has been at least a day between coats so it has been fully dry each time. I guess I'll have to pick up some undercoat for the rest of the rooms so smile Would have been less hassle to pay someone to do it for us at this rate hmm

ohnoyou Fri 29-May-15 12:04:06

We're painting at the moment and using Johnstons contract paint, and I thought the opposite, it's brilliant. We're painting over fresh plaster and 1 coat over the mist coat totally covered it, I only did a 2nd coat because that was recommended. Sorry you're having problems with yours.

SquinkiesRule Fri 29-May-15 12:08:53

My Dh agrees with the OP. Things that used to take one coat now take multiple coats.

Poutintrout Fri 29-May-15 12:18:08

Vaspar paint from B&Q is amazing. It hardly smells, comes in loads of lovely colours and has the consistency of thick cream that is nice to paint with.

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 12:20:28

pout yes I agree, best paint I've ever come across, the valspar premium is scrubbable

IceBeing Fri 29-May-15 12:21:20

its worth the extra effort for the increase in safety of paints though.

lead and other heavy metals are the asbestos of our age.

Its great to see them being phased out of all sorts of ridiculous places they get used.

addictedtosugar Fri 29-May-15 12:30:49

Some brands are also desperatly trying to remove the component that provides the most opacity as the price is soaring.
That means that it is harder to cover the previous paint layer.

But yes, the biggest change has been the permitted chemicals (or rather those which have been banned) and a move to waterbased, rather than the solvent based paints of old.

SquinkiesRule Fri 29-May-15 13:53:55

We used Valspar in the US Dh liked it a lot and was waiting to use some here when he moves on to doing our living room. He'd been wondering if it was as good here as it had been in the US, due to the rules being different as to what can and can't be in paint in Europe.
I'll let him know you are giving it the thumbs up pout and anyone

montysma1 Fri 29-May-15 14:16:12

Whats a mist coat?

For the record I find B and Qpaint rubbish but the Dulux mixy uppy ones very good.

Dogsmom Fri 29-May-15 15:58:06

I've just decorated dd1's bedroom with B&Q's supposed 1 coat silk emulsion and it took 2 coats, it was onto brand new plaster that I'd given a once over with white matt.

Whatutalkinboutwillis Fri 29-May-15 16:08:07

I used that exact sage paint to cover cream walls too and yes it was shocking. Have ended up painting it back cream it was so patchy after 3 coats. Cost a bloody fortune.

TTWK Fri 29-May-15 16:11:33

I think paints were far better when they were oil based. Bad for the planet apparently, but great to work with. For the last few years paints have been water based due to environmental reasons. Not nearly as good, especially external paint.

Kerberos Fri 29-May-15 16:15:55

I've never had a good experience with Crown.

EarSlaps Fri 29-May-15 16:27:46

We were also really pleased with Valspar paint- as was our decorator. Two coats over a mist coat on new plaster were plenty. When we painted over peach paint in ds's room it took two coats of undercoat and three coats of Crown.

House hunting at the moment and a house we like has a pink bedroom that we would need to paint over. I think a coat of decent magnolia then a couple of coats of colour should sort that.

itchysofunny Fri 29-May-15 17:19:44

Well now montysma1 it's funny you mention the mixy uppy ones, my DP was so annoyed that he called into the small paint shop near his work on his lunch to ask the owner about it. The man told him that a lot of people are complaining of the same thing and that the reason is that they are buying the ready mixed tins in large chain stores instead of getting them mixed instore like everyone did years ago. DP called me to tell me but I was a bit hmm thinking the paint shop man was just touting for business. Maybe there is some truth in it though!

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 17:56:19

The paint is the same though. It's all different bases dependent on the colour. A dulux mixing centre ( in homebase) could mix you a lot of paint in the natural hessian. You could also buy one pre mixed off the shelf. There is no difference. Same with crown

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 17:56:50

Lot? Meant pot!

Bellejessleo Fri 29-May-15 18:36:39

We painted over magnolia with crown paint in seldom seem which is pale grey/blue. The coverage was awful but the colour after 3 coats is lovely. Maybe it's a thing with crown paint.

Shesparkles Fri 29-May-15 18:42:43

I had a similar nightmare with Crown paint a couple of years ago. I was painting upstairs hall, stairwell amd downstairs hall, going from cream to white.
3 coats later and it was still very patchy cream. Prep all done properly, and I've been painting my own houses for 20+years and never had this problem before, even with more drastic colour changes.
I ended up getting a refund from Crown in the form of vouchers. I've not used them as I'd not use Crown again.
I use Dulux trade paint which you actually have to water down a bit!

Andro Fri 29-May-15 18:51:56

May I add gloss paint to the list of paint woes?

White gloss turning yellow in a matter of months.
Uneaven coverage (correct prep and a skilled hand).
Poor quality finish - gloss is supposed to give a glossy finish.

I understand the environmental chemistry, but some of these products should not be passing quality control!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now