Talk

Advanced search

To feed the baby non vegetable stuff at 24 weeks?

(14 Posts)
KindergartenKop Fri 29-May-15 09:48:09

I think ds2 would like to be weaned now please. He's grabby and looking at food and can sit up in the high chair. I'm aware of the only fruit and veg before 6 months rule but I'm going back to work next week and I'm not sure I can cope with making him loads of special meals! Wibu to just give him bits if what we are having mushed up and some blw style things to throw? Or will it harm him?

crumblybiscuits Fri 29-May-15 09:57:57

If you're going to wean before six months you should introduce things one at a time with space inbetween to check for allergies.

MrsNextDoor Fri 29-May-15 09:59:46

I wouldn't. You've got to watch salt content very carefully and 24 weeks...its v small.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 29-May-15 09:59:55

I don't think a fortnight will make much difference really. He's your baby, do what you think is best. It's really not that difficult to make some mashed veg though.

CuttingOutTheCrap Fri 29-May-15 10:00:38

Why not just give him bits of the fruit and veg you're having, before any added salt/ sauces etc?

7amWakeUp Fri 29-May-15 10:00:58

There's no rule about not giving meat at 4 months it's just that you usually start with veggies and fruit first because they're more readily accepted
I weaned at 4 months and gave meat from 5 months

littlejohnnydory Fri 29-May-15 10:06:36

Where did you get that rule from? I've got four dc and it's the first I've heard of it. dc4 is the only one I've waited a full six months with and I did BLW with dc 2 and 3 before six months. We're vegetarian but didn't stick to plain fruit and veg, they had sandwiches and all sorts.

I'm aware of the reasoning behind the six month guideline. My personal opinion is that some babies are ready earlier. dc2 was - she was self feeding full meals before six months. dc3 needn't have been weaned before six months but it hasn't harmed her.

KindergartenKop Fri 29-May-15 10:07:59

No I have a toddler so I don't use salt and use low salt stock cubes.

crumblybiscuits Fri 29-May-15 10:11:02

It's easy to puree in bulk and then freeze said fruit and veg in an ice cube tray. Then just defrost before feeding.

SoupDragon Fri 29-May-15 10:12:36

Just stuck the vegetables that you're having on his high chair tray and see what he does. You don't need to cook special meals.

formerbabe Fri 29-May-15 10:13:26

I'm aware of the only fruit and veg before 6 months rule

Never heard of this!

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 29-May-15 10:27:18

All babies grab and look at food, but it's just something to grab and look at, they don't have any sense of it being 'food.'

The six month weaning advice is very important. It is definitely worth reading the detailed information we now have about how the baby's ability to absorb food develops. It can be detrimental to wean a baby before six months, there's no escaping that, even if the effects are not immediately obvious. The baby's ability to sit and put food in his or her mouth is not an indicator of how ready the gut is to process food efficiently.

There is great page on MN Weaning Babies Onto Solids which is very informative and deals with all the early weaning/weaning at 6 months issues.

That said, it's only two weeks, which is very different to two months, and he can sit in the highchair, which is vital. Bits of mushed up food/blw weaning should be fine, as long as you exclude salt, sugar and honey etc.

MrsMook Fri 29-May-15 10:32:50

Keep it simple. DS's first allergic reaction was to baby porridge (4m+) at 25 weeks. It took a while to work out that it was a cow's milk allergy as the ingredients list was so complicated.

A couple of weeks is highly unlikely to make a difference, but if there is an issue, it's easier to identify by starting with fruit / veg and expanding gradually.

Both of mine were quite clear that they were ready at 23 weeks.

Purplepoodle Fri 29-May-15 10:33:58

Would have liked to waited with ds3 but he made his own choice by grabbing brothers buttered toast and shoving it in his mouth utterly gleefully around 5 months. With third I couldn't get too hung up tbh. I didn't see problem munching on a but of chicken or steak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now