Talk

Advanced search

To not take DD to the docs?

(16 Posts)
MissCalamity Fri 29-May-15 09:36:35

DD (now 13 months) had a pretty bad cough from mid March, she appeared fine it the day but at night was struggling to sleep, was whinging and occasionally being sick with coughing that much.
We tried everything in the bedroom, lifting the mattress up slightly, vicks on feet, olbas oil sprinkled on mattress & in a bowl of hot water in the room.

DP is a bit of a panicker ( is that even a word) and kept saying she needed to go to the docs. I know they can't do much for a cough so was reluctant to take her. After one particularly bad night DP badgered me to make an appointment, the next one was a week away ( this was mid April) but after another 2 bad nights of hardly any sleep ( for all 3 of us) I got a same day appointment.

Saw the nurse who was sympathetic but said there wasn't much you could do for a cough, listened to her chest & it was clear. Felt a bit like i was wasting her time. Within 2 weeks it cleared up on it's own accord, but now it's back and DP is mithering me to get another appointment

MissCalamity Fri 29-May-15 09:38:59

Whoops fat fingers pressed send to soon, bit i was waffling on a bit anyway.

Again she appears happy in the day, and they can't give her anything anyway, so AIBU by not taking her or am I a bad mother??!

vaticancameos Fri 29-May-15 09:41:17

Could it be the start of night time asthma? No expert by the way but my daughter has it at night

ScarlettDarling Fri 29-May-15 09:42:09

Actually, I would go and ask if this could possibly be asthma. A persistent night time cough is a classic symptom of asthma and an inhaler could make the world of difference.

My niece and nephew both had very similar sounding symptoms which have been miles better since asthma was diagnosed.

Anydrinkwilldo Fri 29-May-15 09:43:13

As vatican says. My ds has been diagnosed with asthma doesn't cough or wheeze in the day at all but was awake all night with cough, used to wet himself and vomit with it.

Wolfiefan Fri 29-May-15 09:43:54

I agree that this could possibly be asthma related. I'd go to GP.

ChestyNut Fri 29-May-15 09:44:07

I would get her checked incase it's asthma.

Dismalfuckers Fri 29-May-15 09:44:52

I took ds after a cough had lasted ages, he was prescribed an inhaler and it cleared up quickly.

Can be asthma, or just some children can get this after a bug.

Worth a visit, I reckon.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 29-May-15 09:45:21

sounds a bit like asthma. Id go to your gp.

niminypiminy Fri 29-May-15 09:48:29

They won't diagnose asthma at 13 months. It is more likely to be post-viral wheeze - extremely common in babies and very young children. Make a non-urgent appointment to ask how you should treat the cough.

Charis1 Fri 29-May-15 10:01:35

Definitely needs a doctor. asthma kills if not controlled.

They won't diagnose asthma at 13 months they did with my DC

pantsjustpants Fri 29-May-15 10:08:46

This is how my ds started with his asthma, so do please go to the gp. People don't realise how deadly asthma can be ��.

MissCalamity Fri 29-May-15 10:09:28

Appointment made for next week! Someone in RL has mentioned asthma to me, so I shouldn't rule it out.
Thanks for kicking me up the backside smile

Skiptonlass Fri 29-May-15 10:12:19

Any persistent cough, child or adult, that lasts past a few weeks needs attention. Definitely take to docs and make sure they know it's been ongoing.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 29-May-15 11:36:21

There's a few people unnecessarily scaring the op here. Yes, asthma can be deadly. But, many under 5s (both my dds did) have these asthma symptoms, which they then grow out of. It isn't full blown asthma, but a wheeze where their lungs aren't big enough yet. Round my way, no doctor tests for asthma in young children - they just prescribe an inhaler.

FastForward2 Fri 29-May-15 11:44:41

Get dp to take her to GP.
I thinkmthey can get what seems like asthma but thennthey grow up and tubes widen and all is fine. My ds was given an inhaler at that age but is definitely NOT asthmatic now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now