To ask your budget for holiday spending money?

(34 Posts)
duplodancer Thu 28-May-15 16:32:51

Sorry, I know it's rude to ask but I'm trying to work out what's a reasonable amount to budget.

Normally we don't budget at all, spend more than we ought, and feel guilty for most of the holiday.

Can't help feeling we'll have more fun if we set an amount and stick to it. But how much?

Talking self catering holidays with two little ones, but in fairly pricey touristy areas eg Cornwall and Menorca. We like doing activities unfortunately as they cost a fortune!

ThatIsNachoCheese Thu 28-May-15 16:42:56

5 of us in Corfu for two weeks, we are planning to take 2000€

Sgtmajormummy Thu 28-May-15 16:57:02

€100/£75 a day not including meals or petrol for a family of 4. Obviously a day at the beach offsets the day you went to the museum or theme park.

Bullshitbingo Thu 28-May-15 17:02:03

£500 for a week in France self catering with two under 3's. That includes food, but hoping to have a lot of beach and pool days rather than expensive activities. Obviously easy as mine are young.

SillyStuffBiting Thu 28-May-15 17:04:30

We aim for £1500 for a fortnight. One year in Greece all inclusive that was just enough. Last year b and b in Thailand it was loads!

Fourarmsv2 Thu 28-May-15 17:11:11

Whereabouts in Cornwall? How long for? We could suggest cheap activities? What age children?

We'd visit Crealey - return free for a week so we'd go two or three times.

Maybe join National Trust and visit a few if their properties? Or Historic Houses?

Will you have web access? Buying tickets online the day before is often cheaper?

Intersperse with beach and swimming for cheaper days?

Fourarmsv2 Thu 28-May-15 17:14:09

Can you do an online shop for delivery in Cornwall? We've done that to campsites smile Breakfast and lunch needn't cost any more than at home then?

Altinkum Thu 28-May-15 17:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frenchielove Thu 28-May-15 17:31:56

We try and make sure we have £100 a day for activities, day trips and treats and usually go all inclusive when abroad so no need to pay for meals.

WyrdByrd Thu 28-May-15 17:34:08

We did five days camping in Cornwall last year - me, DH & DD (10). We did a car boot & eBaying beforehand & took the cash from that, plus allocated what we would have spent on food etc that week so about £250 in total.

We did a day on Fistral Beach, a day in St Ives, a day in Newquay town & the aquarium & a wet day on the campsite.

That covered our food & drinks for the period, including 3 meals out and a takeaway, two lots of bodyboard hire, entry to Tate St Ives & Barbara Hepworth Sculpture garden & lunch for me, entry to the aquarium and drinks in the clubhouse every night.

Welshmaenad Thu 28-May-15 17:36:04

If you're in North Cornwall, go to Healeys Cyder Farm. Very chilled little half day out, cider tasting, cider for sale, animals to amuse small kids whilst you drink cider. Nothing not to love. Oh, free too. Small charge for tractor ride round the Orchards, which was pleasant.

Welshmaenad Thu 28-May-15 17:36:26

thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/visit-us/

Onecurrantbun Thu 28-May-15 17:36:47

If self catering in UK then an average of £40 plus I take food from our storecupboard / weekly shop. I print off vouchers before we go and we are N.T. members although we do not plan much in advance. We have 2 kids 3.5 and 16m.

WyrdByrd Thu 28-May-15 17:37:10

That's on our list this year Welsh, along with Flambards (on Clubcard vouchers).

Welshmaenad Thu 28-May-15 17:38:48

I love Healeys, you will adore it. Nice jams too. Have a cream tea before you get stuck into the cider!

duplodancer Thu 28-May-15 17:42:10

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful indeed. I think I've had my head in the clouds as I was thinking of budgeting way less (and would then have been miserable at going over).

We do a supermarket shop, eat breakfast and lunch at home, and spend most days on the beach. But there's always a zoo or two, coffees, ice creams, glasses of wine, and it massively adds up!

cleanmyhouse Thu 28-May-15 17:44:13

Altinkum i'm dying to know about your tips. How exciting!

WyrdByrd Fri 29-May-15 12:42:24

Good to hear Welsh. Am I right in thinking there's an ice crema place next door to Healey's too?

We've had another look at Flambards and decided against that now so will spend the Clubcard vouchers on another day out during the hols.

Shakey1500 Fri 29-May-15 12:49:40

Thatisnacho Also going to Corfu grin

Two adults, one 7 year old, for two weeks. Rough budget is about 150 Euros a day. It would be considerably less but we can't resist the darling taverna on the beach for a ridiculously long lunch. We probably spend 50 euros a day there, easy.

Patapouf Fri 29-May-15 13:08:13

Anyone have an idea as to how much I'd need for 1 week AI in Turkey for just DH and me? I was just about to pop to the post office to exchange some money and I've realised I've no idea how much I'll need. Probably only 1-2 excursions and a couple of meals away from the hotel to be honest.

I plan on sleeping on the beach all week!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Fri 29-May-15 13:15:08

Practically none. Maybe £100. But we go all inclusive and the kids are of an age when they are happy to spend all day in the beach / pool. We get a safety deposit box, leave a deposit for the towels and buy water at the airport.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 29-May-15 13:17:00

Patapouf If you're AI you could just get £50-100 for starters and then get more out a cash machine if you need it?

DinosaursRoar Fri 29-May-15 13:23:02

A week on a self-catering beach holiday (so not doing much each day other than packing up and decamping to the beach) - I'd say £200 for food (assuming you'll want nicer things on holiday), £200 for activities/treats, £100 for float = so another £500.

If you are going for Cornwall, I good tip I was given was to arrange a tesco/sainsburys delivery for a couple of hours after we planned to arrive (in case of traffic delays) having done a rough meal plan in advance, so much cheaper than going to small convience shops in tourist towns and if you have the stuff in, you tend to use it, not buy sandwiches out etc.

We took 200euros for our last AI holiday for a week, we brought a fair chunk of that back.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 29-May-15 13:23:04

Can I ask spending money for walt Disney World? Meal plan already paid.

Fourarmsv2 Fri 29-May-15 13:46:48

We've often spent less than £100 on an AI holiday - we're happy to stay in hotel and chill.

We also do SC hols when we go out all day every day.

I like both but SC & spending money can cost more than AI. Also depends on who we go with. By ourselves we wouldn't drink alcohol and the kids wouldn't ask for too much too often. It's harder when we're with others with a bigger budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now