Advanced search

AIBU-to think this disabled bay should not have been allocated

(96 Posts)
parkingisnotaright Thu 28-May-15 15:15:14

I'm a lurker who rarely posts and its my first thread, have name changed as this is fairly identifying! I also know that parking posts are particularly irritating to many, but this has been upsetting/ annoying me for almost a year. And I wish to know if I'm being unreasonable or not, and if its something I should let slide. There's a fair bit of back story to it, so be patient, I don't want to drip feed.
Bought house just over 2 years ago, neighbours across road asked us to park outside their house rather than on our side of the road, we did. Forward 18 months, and I was heavily pregnant. My DH and i discussed it and decided that we would start parking on our side of the road. Neither house opposite us has a car, one has a driveway the other does not.
We have one car, but kindly someone lent us one has I became slightly less mobile the bigger I got. At about 8 months pregnant we were in bed one morning at aprox 0930 when there was a knock at the door, DH answered and the neighbours daughter was demanding that we moved borrowed car as she had to be able to park outside her parents house. Stating that she must be able to park there as she had elderly parents, and a disabled son. I got up feeling rather furious, and went out to move the car. Outside i found her chatting to the other neighbour saying that she'd just told us that our parking wasn't on, especially with 2 cars. Her parents were already in the car, I got into the car to move it, and she drove off with her parents.
My DH and I both felt that she was bullying us, and that we would continue to park outside our house, but I continued to feel intimidated and nervous that she would come back to the door.
We had been having work done to the house and had tradesman parked outside the house for a considerable time over the summer. On two occasions that we were made aware of by two separate tradesmen, she had parked her car outside of her parents and blocked the road. On one occasion she was heard to tell another motorist that hers was a mobility vehicle and she would not be moving her car.
I was concerned for her parents wellbeing, but felt reassured when i saw them cutting the grass, walking into town and taking in the wheelie bins for all of the surrounding houses.
Fast forward to this week when we returned from holiday to find a disabled bay marked outside their house effectively meaning we can no longer park outside our house. Since we came back, her car has not been there. I have seen her parents out, and about, so no dramatic deterioration has occurred during our holiday.
Am I being unreasonable to feel that this allocated bay makes a mockery of the system, and effectively it is being used to ensure that they have a convenient family space outside their house. I know that it is a public road, and whenever her car is there usually during the school day ( whilst her son is at school) we park on the same side as she is. And am i being unreasonable to question the councils installation of the space, and whether the household merits it??

mileend2bermondsey Thu 28-May-15 15:18:46

well they don't just give out disabled bays willy nilly, there must be a reason for it that youre not aware of. The duaghter sounds like a douche but what can you do?

MerryMarigold Thu 28-May-15 15:19:41

I don't really get how the house is so narrow that there is only run for 1 car between 2 houses. If it's tau affecting your parking space, maybe you can ask the dock on what basis it has been granted.

SevenAteNine Thu 28-May-15 15:20:01

If her parents are both mobile and she doesn't live there, I would get in touch with the council. They take a very dim view of blue badge misuse.

MerryMarigold Thu 28-May-15 15:20:27

Dock is council

pettywitchinlondon Thu 28-May-15 15:21:42

Disabled bays are often given without much thought.

My friend can't get one on her road as there is already one on the road, but as that is outside someone else's house she doesn't feel like she can ever use it.

loveareadingthanks Thu 28-May-15 15:23:02

Does she live there?

You normally need a blue badge to have a disabled bay put in, and it would be at your home address, not one you visit.

Might be worth checking with the council. For one thing, just to check it is an offical bay and not a homemade paint job if she's that's awkward.

Anyway, a disabled bay isn't allocated to any particular person, as long as you have a blue badge you can park in it. I know that doesn't help you but they might find other people park there more if there's someone else locally with one.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 28-May-15 15:23:55

For them to be allocated a disabled bay they must need it.

If you can't park directly outside your house you park further down.

When you moved in it was obvious that you can't park both sides as it blocked the road so if they kept their car outside you wouldn't have been able to park directly outside anyway.

Yes, the daughters an arse but no more than you insinuating they're absolutely fine because you've seen them walking and gardening hmm

Bottom line is they actually need the space outside their home as they're disabled - you don't and can park further away.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 28-May-15 15:30:48

My father has a blue badge, he can do gardening, take out a wheelie bin etc, he also has chronic sarcoidosis and has dreadful lung and heart capacity and really struggles to do too much for two long ends up light headed struggling to breathe but if you saw him in 5 min snap shots you'd think he was fine.
I think YABU as they aren't given out for nothing, and surely an extra minutes walk isn't damaging your quality of life whereas it could damage a disabled persons

zazzie Thu 28-May-15 15:41:09

To get a disabled bay someone in the house must have a bb. The daughter may be abusing it or she may be using it legitimately but you would need more information to know which.

MaxPepsi Thu 28-May-15 15:41:09

She doesn't live there but has got a bay installed for her disabled son, who presumably doesn't live there either?

So a disabled space where it's not required for the occupants as they don't have a car themselves and are not apparently disabled on the off chance she might decide to visit?

Have I got that right?

Are the elderly parents, the neighbours who asked you to park outside their house anyway?

zazzie Thu 28-May-15 15:45:34

You can have a bb space without having a car. It cannot be the son's because he doesn't live there.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 28-May-15 15:46:13

It took 6 months, extensive paper work and assessments for a disabled space to be put outside my old house. They don't just put them there for the sake of it.


pettywitchinlondon Thu 28-May-15 15:47:45

Some councils do just put them in when needing to use up budget. I've heard of just a phone call and a bay installed two weeks later.

hedgehogsdontbite Thu 28-May-15 15:49:05


How dare a disabled person be given a space which inconveniences you. Entitled fuckers.

AnyoneForTennis Thu 28-May-15 15:49:54

Op hasn't said if it's a proper bay supplied by the council or just a spray can home job

MumSnotBU Thu 28-May-15 15:51:53

Some people have conditions which fluctuate, like MS or Parkinson's, or lung conditions with exaccerbations. I would just leave them be.

Samcro Thu 28-May-15 15:54:48

2 weeks I wish

MaxPepsi Thu 28-May-15 15:55:10

Most councils want the blue badge and a vehicle registered to the address.

Also, it takes months if not years to get one installed. If she's as vocal as she appears to be I'm sure she'd have told you.

You would also have been informed about a TRO (or whatever they are called).

I would also be questioning if the bay was indeed a legal one.

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Thu 28-May-15 15:59:28

Why don't you call council and ask whether it should be there? And then come back and tell us about it. I love parking threads

knittingdad Thu 28-May-15 16:03:21

Is there any chance you can put a drive in for your car?

I know they can come with their own problems, as numerous mumsnet threads attest, but with a road as narrow as yours it would seem like the only solution. I used to own a house on a similarly narrow road where the custom was to park on only one side, and having our own drive saved us a lot of trouble.

AnyoneForTennis Thu 28-May-15 16:06:28

I have a parking issue I want to post a thread about.... Mumsnet does seem to love parking threads. I might put it in aibu but I definitely think I'm nbu and will argue my case

I just need to know what's the correct name for those raised bumpy blister type paving slabs!

hedgehogsdontbite Thu 28-May-15 16:11:13

I think they're called tactile paving slabs.

knittingdad Thu 28-May-15 16:11:49

I just need to know what's the correct name for those raised bumpy blister type paving slabs!

Tactile paving? Blister, or offset blister seems to be the right name.

MrsDeVere Thu 28-May-15 16:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: