Talk

Advanced search

to ask my neighbor to stop feeding the sodding seagulls.

(16 Posts)
donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 13:14:10

My neighbor insists on throwing lumps of bread on her garage roof. Sometimes we see whole cakes thrown up there as well don't think her family like her baking much

We are on the flight path to her house and every single day I am having to clean seagull shart off the garden chairs, the patio, washing on the line has to be re-washed and the kids toys are always pebble dashed with the stuff.

Put the uneaten food In The Bin! fgs (you know who you are)

thanks.

WorraLiberty Thu 28-May-15 13:16:30

Next time she's wearing a coat, secretly put some chips in the hood.

donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 13:17:42

worral grin

jollygoose Thu 28-May-15 13:21:51

I have the same problem, our neighbour has made pets of hers and hand feeds them then leaves out a large tray of cat food for them. Our front drive is plastered with shit and the car needs a daily wipe I could slap her.

donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 13:25:55

It's all very well getting all Brian May/lovey dovey with the seagull population, but what these people don't realize is that what the seagulls don't eat (and drop), the rats will.
So not only is there seagull mess over everything by leaving huge chunks of food lying around, it's also encouraging rats.

Penfold007 Thu 28-May-15 13:28:56

Speak to the environmental health department at your council. They can formally tell her to stop.

19lottie82 Thu 28-May-15 13:40:24

you can get a CD which plays tracks of seagulls being killed, or something similar.

Anyway, they HATE it and will be away within seconds if you play it. Food or no food.

SquinkiesRule Thu 28-May-15 13:44:14

Our neighbor feeds them too, Dh caught her doing it. They are a complete pest nesting on roofs and going after anyone in the road they think is too close to the nest. And Pooping across my windows and washing.

5Foot5 Thu 28-May-15 13:51:01

There was a similar thread here a week or two ago and one very enterprising mumsnetter said she had hired a hawk to chase away the problem birds.

Like thw sound of that CD lottie

BTW YADNBU. I HATE seagulls. Quite apart from the mess they are nasty, vicious bastards. News story recently where seagulls in the South somewhere killed a chihuahua in its own garden.

FrChewieLouie Thu 28-May-15 13:52:27

There's a woman here who has an ASBO for this. Doesn't seem to have stopped her though...

donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 13:54:34

I think it's laziness more than anything.
It's easier to chuck food out in your garden or on a roof than dispose of it properly.

NKfell Thu 28-May-15 14:02:00

I think you should definitely ask her politely... Not sure if it'll do any good though.

My next door neighbour insists on feeding sodding ravens.

donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 14:08:55

Like most people, I have Fatballs and birdseed in a birdfeeder, and I put birdseed on a bird table out for the birds.
And sometimes the occasional big bird comes along, but it's mainly small garden birds that are encourage.
But the amount of 'human' food this woman puts out encourages whole flocks of seagulls to the garden.

Cherryblossomsinspring Thu 28-May-15 16:22:37

Tell neighbour you saw rats on her roof at the food!

RubyMay82 Thu 28-May-15 16:39:50

I thought it was against the law to feed seagulls?
Seagulls are fine...at the actual seaside,
Not in town.
We have a hawk that flies round every so often here to scare them off.

donemekmelarf Thu 28-May-15 17:59:24

I thought it was against the law to feed seagulls?

That I never knew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now