Talk

Advanced search

for MNHQ

(14 Posts)
Fatmomma99 Wed 27-May-15 23:09:19

please could you design an emoticon for hugs?

I often want to give one, and end up writing [hugs].

Just been on a sad post, and another poster did same.

Please could you investigate? I feel it would be well used.

p.s. Is giving a biscuit generally considered an insult? Like "you're taking the biscuit"? Just asking, that's not the point of my post.

ilovesooty Wed 27-May-15 23:11:02

I think of AIBU as offering a firm handshake rather than hugs. grin

Samcro Wed 27-May-15 23:11:49

post in site stuff

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-May-15 23:12:45

The biscuit is the equivalent of F off and die. You definitely don't want to be given a biscuit...

Summerisle1 Wed 27-May-15 23:13:33

I hate to come along like the Pedant Police here but actually, messages to MNHQ are probably best put in Site Stuff rather than AIBU.

Only I rather suspect that, Omnipotent as they unquestionably are at MN Towers, they don't read every post made everywhere else. Conversely, they do take a lot of notice of points raised in Site Stuff.

MrsNextDoor Wed 27-May-15 23:14:37

The biscuit is actually a way of saying "I'm lost for words...completely astounded and have nothing to add" in a derogatory way....it indicates that you think someone is stupid or is saying something stupid.

usualsuspect333 Wed 27-May-15 23:16:24

I don't like the biscuit.

Summerisle1 Wed 27-May-15 23:19:10

PS. Agree with ilovesooty. AIBU would be much more likely to offer bracing handshakes given with a warmly muttered "Best of luck, old chap" with, at moments of high emotion, the lend of a clean handkerchief to dab at a piping eye.

SumThucker Wed 27-May-15 23:20:49

There should be a couple of fingers too. wink

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-May-15 23:21:42

MrsNextDoor's biscuit description is better than mine! Biscuits usually reserved for posters who are being ridiculous and seemingly incapable of reasoned argument.

AuntieStella Wed 27-May-15 23:24:03

'hugs' is usually preceded by "unmumsnetty"

I wouldn't want to see that part of the community ethos change.

biscuit is (sort of) 'calm down and have a biscuit' for het up and overwrought posters who may have got things a teensy bit out of proportion.

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-May-15 23:24:09

Op you might want to report your own post and get it moved to site stuff.

Fatmomma99 Wed 27-May-15 23:49:36

I did report my own post (hangs head in shame!).

Like Sum's idea of two finger's, but I've done my bit - that's up to her.

Thank you for clarification of biscuits. I wasn't wrong, then. Glad I've never offered one. (may well do now). Wonder if that was the original intention?

crustsaway Wed 27-May-15 23:57:54

Nothing wrong in asking a question anywhere you actually like, so do that, not sure either if you need to hang your head in shame either. A biscuit is a rude form of take a chill pill. I personally wouldnt do a hug of any type nor send flowers due to only doing that now and again with people I know in real life and it doesnt cross over cyberly either.

So, no, I'd not be in favour of a hug emicon, the only one I use is a smile now and again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now