Talk

Advanced search

To feel I will never get a job,

(25 Posts)
FujimotosElixir Wed 27-May-15 23:02:05

I was teen when I had DC 1 and have been at home for 5 years, DH works full time. Now I am searching for work, had one interview , had a job offer from a catalogue company that I didnt apply for/ want due to inconsistent wages, sent off a few applications, sent in CV,s, nothing at all , I just feel so crushed and soul destroyed , and feel like it will never happen. I am aware its late and prowling job sites at this time will always be a depressing experience, can someone offer any words of experience, encouragement or just a good shake?

FlappertyFlippers Wed 27-May-15 23:04:59

What type of work are you looking for? Do you want to work in an office, a shop, as a carer, etc? Are you looking or full time or part time work, something around school hours will be more difficult to find.

ilovesooty Wed 27-May-15 23:06:31

Have you had your CV looked at by a carers adviser? Could you do some volunteering to give you some experience and references, and possibly some training as well as up to date skills?

ilovesooty Wed 27-May-15 23:07:07

Sorry, careers not carers.

usualsuspect333 Wed 27-May-15 23:08:12

Can you do some sort of college course to gain some skills?

Seriouslyffs Wed 27-May-15 23:08:25

Ooh poor you! It is depressing! Have you told everyone you know you're job hunting? Many jobs come via contacts and friends. Can you volunteer or help out at your son's school? And it's a pita, but it's best to do a new CV for each job and tailor it to each job. Are you on income support or JSA? They get a bad rap but are also a great help most of the time
Good Luck! Mumsnet is a great source of encouragement and ideas.

FujimotosElixir Wed 27-May-15 23:12:33

I did volunteeruing at CAB before dc, and at NSPCC , but that was 6 years back an century in work years lol, I could but I need paid work yesterday! haha so its more of a case it needs to be paid work , I have a lot of experience with ASD but not in a work context , dsis carer most of my life etc so Im applying ion that area, cleaners etc I feel like im not qualified for anything. Yes , Serioulsy I have told people.

Fluffcake Wed 27-May-15 23:18:59

Seriously - not qualified???? I work in the care industry and we struggle to recruit. There are usually lots of adverts in local newspapers and job centre websites for support workers. Just because you haven't had paid experience please don't think that it doesn't count. Another place to look for support worker roles is on the websites of individual companies. Most will have a "vacancy" page.
Good luck.

Seriouslyffs Wed 27-May-15 23:39:26

6 years is no time and you sound very well qualified!
Fluff I think my name confused the meaning of OP's last post. Call me ffsgrin

FujimotosElixir Thu 28-May-15 00:15:29

ok ffs! thanks for the confident posts right now i feel like the most under qualified person inthe world sadblush ...only slight exaggeration!

Topseyt Thu 28-May-15 01:15:50

Just sending you some flowers and moral support as I remember very well how disillusioning and soul destroying job hunting was.

I was an SAHM for many years due to childcare costs. 15 years in total. It took me the last 3 - 4 of those years to get back into work and it was total hell.

Eventually though, it came down to just happening to look in the right place at the right time, so don't give up. The relief I felt when I was finally offered my current part time role was indescribable. A real weight lifted.

I know how you feel. Been there myself for far too long. Chin up and keep looking absolutely everywhere you can think of. You will get there, and it may be when you least expect it.

FujimotosElixir Thu 28-May-15 12:39:22

Thankyou topseytflowers nice to hear there is some hope.

BettyCatKitten Thu 28-May-15 12:48:37

Have you applied to a care agency? In my area they are usually recruiting. Plus you have lots of experience of ASD, brilliant for agencies supporting adults with LD., plus you can give them your availability and work hours to suit.
Is their a SN school near you? I worked on the bank for mine, the experience led to a full time position with children with disabilities. Good luck.

FujimotosElixir Thu 28-May-15 15:20:08

ill look at agencies atm just cruising job sites atm.

SkodaLabia Thu 28-May-15 15:24:47

It's not an industry I know anything about, but I'm job hunting at the moment so I feel your pain! A browse through my local job advert site shows lots of vacancies for carers, though, so I'm sure you'll get something sooner or later.

SkodaLabia Thu 28-May-15 15:25:15

Whereabouts are you, OP? Want help looking?

Littlef00t Thu 28-May-15 16:24:27

My local library hosts a work club which really helped me. Professionals to help with cv/application writing, interview technique, volunteer placements, courses etc.

IF there's one near you, definitely make the most of it

GlitterNails Thu 28-May-15 16:29:47

What about Personal Assistants for people with disabilities? You generally need no qualifications or experience, it's usually about having the right personality.

You would be employed directly by the disabled person. I have one - and she cooks, cleans, drives me places, and offers me support. Not much personal care.

Each area will have a site that advertises them. In Essex it's the. Independent Living Advocacy Essex, and each will have something similar where people put adverts.

I looking for a new PA right now, if you're close by!

iammargesimpson Thu 28-May-15 17:00:56

Op, you have my full sympathies! I've been looking since September, I've applied for 30 jobs so far, had six interviews and nothing. It's really hard to stay positive but I firmly believe I will get a job, having said that I can't believe I'm still looking 9 months later!!

Chin up and good luck smile

FujimotosElixir Thu 28-May-15 21:23:39

Its SouthYorks Skoda, I'm signed up to 4 jobsites looking at agencies now.

missymayhemsmum Thu 28-May-15 22:09:49

Agency work. Sign on to a few job agencies and see what happens, hopefully you can get a temp job which will at least get a you a decent recent reference when a job you actually want turns up. And volunteering/ study -stuff like IT skills customer service etc. Have a look at local employers you fancy and see if you can do some work experience with them.

Topseyt Thu 28-May-15 22:14:27

Perhaps I am just an old gimmer, but what I found really off-putting and disillusioning was how much of the job seeking process was automated and done online these days.

I contacted recruitment agencies and I am old enough to remember the days when you were interviewed in person by their staff and advised accordingly. Not anymore as far a I could see. All was done online and was so impersonal and de-humanising. You could never gauge how you had done, never discuss anything with a person. Nothing. It felt like I wasn't even a number.

froggyjump Thu 28-May-15 22:22:26

I'm in S Yorks too and work with people with ASD. Our organisation uses the agency Pulse to fill gaps to cover staff sickness etc. If agency staff come who are good, the manager will request them by name after that, - it doesn't mean we never have new staff, cos often the good ones will get offered permanent jobs either with us or elsewhere.

Good luck flowers

froggyjump Thu 28-May-15 22:23:59

PS we also take apprentices every year, the process usually starts around August/September, and all the ones we have had since I have worked there have gone on to get permanent jobs.

FujimotosElixir Fri 29-May-15 09:29:39

Pulse OK am googling thank you very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now