Talk

Advanced search

to ask you for your best skint meal ideas please? And what to buy at lidl to help this?

(254 Posts)
Margaritte Wed 27-May-15 16:24:55

I did ask for lovely, budget, impressive looking meals last week.

However, the shit hit fan for us, financially, for the next month or two. So now I really need to know what I can buy & cook. Now it just needs to be healthy & dirt cheap and less impressive . Taste buds haven't died in this shit situation, so if its fairly yummy will help too, although I realise that's not the main priority.

I have to figure out breakfasts, lunches and dinners. My dc & dh take packed lunch with them, & dd & I eat at home. I have a bit in already, which I'm so grateful for, as it gives me a 'head start'.

I have got advice from StepChange today and they were great, so that bits sorted.

Just a bit of back ground ( so I'm not drip feeding) I am recovering from PND (mostly good days for a while) However, during having it, cooking / meal planning etc would cause me a lot of distress. I'm starting to get back into cooking now, and sometimes enjoy it. I don't want to slip back into the upset & frustration I used to have around the weeks meals, so as easy as possible would be helpful too.

PotteringAlong Wed 27-May-15 16:33:19

Basics pasta

do you have an aldi near you? Their stir in pasta sauces - tomato and mascarpone and tomato and black olive are particularly tasty and only 79p a jar.

Margaritte Wed 27-May-15 16:35:02

Yes, I have an Aldi - is about 20minutes away. Nearest budget shop is lidl & we have a FarmFoods ( The huge freezer supermarket type)

PotteringAlong Wed 27-May-15 16:35:42

Also, things such as turkey mince are much cheaper than other mince.

Do you have a good butchers? At ours you can buy 2 ham hocks for £5. Slow cooked and you can enough meat for a meal + pie + sandwiches at least.

Margaritte Wed 27-May-15 16:35:54

Am happy to travel to Aldi, if it is better though.

Margaritte Wed 27-May-15 16:37:03

Yes, I have a butcher near by, he does good packs and is actually by the Aldi

duderanch Wed 27-May-15 16:38:44

Going veggie and/or spicy is the money saving way to go.

Soup! You can make a big batch and have it over a few days/or freeze it. Darina Allen (Irish chef) makes it really simple 1 part diced onion. Doesn’t matter what you use to measure as long as you use the same for each ingredient – a cup or mug would be fine., 1 part diced potato, 3 parts vegetable (Leek is good, parsnip with apple is too, tomato, butternut squash etc) plus 5 parts vegetable stock or stock/milk mixed.

I'm also a big fan of Asian noodles with coconut milk and any vegetables on special offer.

Carrots/potato/butternut squash and tinned tomatoes also make a great tagine and is even better the second day.

Spicy potato dhosas....

Cheese and frozen spinach pancakes. pancake mix, then make a thick cheese sauce, add frozen spinach. Fill the pancakes and warm through in the oven. This cheese/spinach sauce is also good with penne.

I also really like this budget cookery blog agirlcalledjack.com/tag/budget-recipes/

maroonedwithfour Wed 27-May-15 16:39:24

Jacket potatoes with value baked beans and cheese

Margaritte Wed 27-May-15 16:40:08

PotteringAlong - I just looked at his website and he has a ham hock for £9.99 (for 3.5kg min) Can I cook and freeze?
Can I please have your pie recipe and meal idea for that?

PotteringAlong Wed 27-May-15 16:40:26

How about omlettes? Fill it with whatever you've got left!

Deedeecupcake Wed 27-May-15 16:40:43

Firstly, base the majority of your meals around Aldi's super 6 fruit and veg and possibly their meats. You should be able to make your money stretch with that.

I like campfire stew. It's a small bacon joint, a tin of beans, a tin of tomatoes, some onions, and peppers and chilli powder. Throw into the slow cooker and just before serving break the bacon up with a fork, serve with jacket pots. Very tasty and filling for not very much smile

maroonedwithfour Wed 27-May-15 16:42:12

Chicken soup, use 2/3 chicken thighs, make huge pot add leeks cabbage, 1 carrit and value stock.

Name7 Wed 27-May-15 16:43:10

Egg fried rice. Make sure you cook the rice before and it's cold in the fridge. Delia has a good recipe on bbc good food. Just chuck in tiny bits of whatever you have. Yummy and filling and very cheap.

404NotFound Wed 27-May-15 16:44:26

Porridge. Lots of lovely porridge. Though Lidl's shreddies/shredded wheat/branflakes are cheap too.

Lentils (curry/lentil soup/chorizo and lentil stew)
Pasta (and pesto)
Basics rice - 40p a kg at Lidl (for curry, tuna rice, chilli, risotto - yes, you can use ordinary rice for risotto)
Tinned chopped tomatoes (30+ p a tin) for pasta sauces etc etc).
Root vegetables (curry, veg stew, veg crumble)
Couscous (as a carb addition to random stews and ratatouille etc)

If your budget runs to meat as well, then lidl's chorizo are very good and keep for ages - I make spicy lentil and chorizo stew which always goes down well, or add to roast veg. Also their sausages, either the mini-German ones or the chipolatas are v good - sausage casserole with lots of root veg.

If you live near ethnic shops, buy a packet of chilli flakes, you can use tiny quantities on anything without making it taste spicy, just more interesting.

anyoldnameforathread Wed 27-May-15 16:44:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 27-May-15 16:45:35

Delia Smith has a recipe for a Spanish tortilla which is just eggs, potatoes, onions and a bit of olive oil (plus salt and pepper). It is really, really good and very easy. You just need a bit of salad with it, and maybe some crusty bread, but that isn't essential at all.

Cutting down on meat will help keep costs down and also be healthier. What about vegetable soup with lots of beans or lentils or split peas, maybe barley if you have it or tiny pasta shapes or macaroni?

Tinned fish can be good. I love sardines/pilchards on toast or a pate made by mashing sardines/pilchards/smoked mackerel up with cottage cheese or some sort of cream cheese or even yoghourt, with a good squeeze of lemon. Very tasty and goes a long, long way spread on toast.

Have you looked into the possibility of free school meals? That might help, if they're decent quality.

Good luck with it all. thanks

PotteringAlong Wed 27-May-15 16:47:36

For a meal we'd have the meat with mash and some green veg - whatever's on offer at the green grocer / in season.

For the pie I'd do ham and veg - the ham, peas, onions, a few potatoes (I usually use tinned), green beans, anything that needs using up, mix with creme fraiche and a bit of wholegrain mustard, cover with ready rolled puff pastry and cook at 200 for about 40 mins.

With anything else left I'd make pea and ham soup - sweat an onion and garlic, put in half a bag if frozen peas and a pint of veg stock. Cook for about 3 mins and then blend. Bung in another handful of peas and the ham, cook for another 2 mins and serve!

chanie44 Wed 27-May-15 16:47:42

The super 6 fruit and veg from aldi is good from a portion point of view. I also recommend the frozen French fries for 60p - the best.

My cheap and quick meals include - pasta and sauce, corned beef and rice, fry up, 'something' on toast.

In terms of lidl, the cereals are nice, bran flakes taste no different to Kellogg's but half the price. My children love the lidl Pringles and even my sister (who doesnt shop in lidl) thought they tasted the same. The biscuits taste just as nice as the branded ones and cost 30p.

My advice is to go with an open mind. We always give products a go and if we don't like them, we don't buy them again.

anyoldnameforathread Wed 27-May-15 16:48:36

Dowser Wed 27-May-15 16:48:49

You can't beat a good cottage pie with lots of tasty veg in it.

If you can buy pease pudding, aldi is just lentils and salt, add it to veg soup to make tasty lentil and veg. If you can run to a bit of bacon even better. A few pasta shells or barley, crusty bread makes it more filling.

textfan Wed 27-May-15 16:49:08

Dowser Wed 27-May-15 16:50:35

Do you know anyone who juices veg but chucks the waste away. Ask for it to go in your soups. Really tasty. Shame to waste it. Ask them to store in freezer for you . Very nutritious.

Baddz Wed 27-May-15 16:54:54

Breakfast...croissants, toast, porridge, Pancakes, omelettes.
Lunch...sandwiches, wraps, veg sticks, fruit, yoghurts, soup
Dinner...pasta, rice, potatoes are all very filling. Add meat or veg for a meal
Eg: pasta bake, spag Bol, lasagne
Toad in the hole is just sausage and batter.
Sausage and mash
Chips, egg and beans
Homemade biscuits are cheaper as are home made cakes.
Frittata is lovely and can be served cold
Beans on toast
Eggy bread

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Wed 27-May-15 16:55:22

Lidl do a vat pot of Turkish yoghurt. I buy this in preference to Total Greek yoghurt.

Use for breakfasts/puddings or stir in dishes to make them creamy.

Grill peaches (or add berries), splat yog on top, drizzle of honey. Doesn't taste 'cheap'.

JillBYeats Wed 27-May-15 16:55:38

Cook one pack of their bacon bits add a few spoons of pesto, some of the pasta cooking water and add to drained pasta.

Stir fry Brown rice: cooked brown rice, spoon of curry paste, frozen peas and a drained tin of corn - my personal favourite.

Porridge for brekkie - for my not-so-keen children I add a spoon of drinking chocolate or Nutella - and it's filling and cheap.

If you have a blender freeze chopped up bananas and put them in the blender with a spoon of cocoa powder and milk or water to make McDonalds type thick nutritious delicious milkshakes.

A pack of Aldi smoked mackerel, one pack of their low fat cream cheese, teasp or so of horseradish sauce and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice - whizz it all together and you have delicious nutritious smoked mackerel pate for lunches.

Roast Chickpeas - Lidl do tins of chickpeas: roast them in a drizzle of oil with salt and paprika and they're better than crisps.

If I make bolognese I bulk it out with lots of veg (try whatever's in Aldi super saver 6 or Lidl's equivalent), some red lentils, baked beans and then serve it one day with pasta, the next in pitta breads and then add a bit of chili and serve it with rice.

Ratatouille when those veg are at a good price can be delicious - my children will eat it when I add a bit of chorizo and then poach an egg each in the ratatouille.

I've been in the Lidl/Aldi/eking out something from nothing phase for a few years now and found I have stopped hankering after the lovely luxurious things I used to crave. I find Chorizo goes a long way to adding flavour to everything, crushed up cashew nuts on fried rice are another treat. Also Butternut Squash roasted or steamed and mashed adds to bolognese or tomato sauce. Instead of giving the kids sweets I melt some Lidl dark chocolate and mix in raisins and almonds and let it set in a tin and then chop it into bars. Then when they're having a treat they're still getting some nutrition. For all that our grocery bills have quartered from the good old days their health has not suffered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now