About cleaner?

(45 Posts)
Elfina Wed 27-May-15 13:44:34

We live in just a two bed flat, and pay the cleaner to come for two hours a week. She came an hour early today (no problem at all), and I went out and about. An hour later I saw her walking away from the flat (just coincidence as I was passing).

The flat is clean enough; I think an hour is enough to do a general clean, but one of the reasons I wanted a cleaner was that I hoped that if there was extra time she would do the less regular things, like behind the sofas/beds or something! I haven't had this discussion with her (as to be honest I assumed that maybe the general clean was taking an hour).

Am IBU? I'm not sure whether I'm just being mean??

Justusemyname Wed 27-May-15 13:46:34

When working as a nanny the cleaner would arrive late and leave early and I never knew whether to say anything to the boss. Maybe she realised but one day the mum went out and was back in such time that the cleaner could not have done her fill time. She gave the cleaner the option of less time and less money or doing what she was employed to do.

I'd have a word. Nip it in the bud now.

JessiePinkman Wed 27-May-15 13:48:50

Hmm I had this situation, brought it up with her saying well I want to pay you by the hour. She said that's not fair bc she worked extra quick to get it done. I ended up getting rid then employed another & made sure she knew it was by the hour & got in what you can. It's way better bc the lady doing it sure quick was basically cutting corners!

Fairenuff Wed 27-May-15 13:49:38

I think you need to specify what you want done and agree with her the time it will take to do it.

JessiePinkman Wed 27-May-15 13:49:44

fit in what you can damn phone

BallsforEarrings Wed 27-May-15 13:52:25

I do not think one hour is enough time for one person to properly clean a flat no matter how small.

I also know that trading standards dictates that if a cleaning service is selling 'time' as in an hourly rate they are the accountable for time spent on the property - it has to be the length of time sold to you or they are in breach of trading standards.

Conversely, if she sold a flat rate service trading standards dictate she would be accountable for completing all the items on the service list at the service level agreed to at the quote regardless of time taken.

If she sold you two hours at the quote she has to stay for two hours.

If she sold you a complete service at a flat rate in my opinion it couldn't be adequately completed within one hour by one cleaner therefore, either way you have been shortchanged.

fourchetteoff Wed 27-May-15 13:55:37

I'd be really pissed off.

There are always things which can be found to do in a flat - windows, under sinks, etc. She should be giving the full two hours no matter how fast or thorough her cleaning professes to be.

dustarr73 Wed 27-May-15 13:56:05

If you where passing why didnt you stop her and ask her where she was going.She would have been caught red handed.

Yanbu she should stay for the 2 hours she is paid for.

BallsforEarrings Wed 27-May-15 14:03:20

If you are sure that 'time' was sold to you she has to stay the time.

Obviously If she sold a flat rate service to you, you can't then dictate how long she stays but I still just do not see how she could have completed a normal cleaning service within an hour, it just can't be done so I would have a look around to see if she got to everything she has promised to complete - I bet not!!

Elfina Wed 27-May-15 14:11:42

Any ideas how to raise it with her? We only communicate via text as I'm normally at work.

I was thinking a text along the lines of "Hi X, I hope you're well. I was just wondering whether you needed I leave early today, or whether you think the flat can be done in an hour or so? Let me know. All the best, X"

Elfina Wed 27-May-15 14:12:56

Actually, when she first came round I said to her that I would like extra things done if she had the time! She said that in the beginning it would take two hours until she got into a routine, and I agreed that was fine. Hmmm.

gamerchick Wed 27-May-15 14:16:38

Maybe tell her to ring your mobile from the house phone to log in and ring again from the house phone to log off?

Or tell her what you've seen and tell her what you want extra time used for in future.

fourchetteoff Wed 27-May-15 14:21:40

I think the key to this is that the cleaner stated at the beginning that she'd be doing 2 hours until she got into a routine.

Perhaps you should call her (not text, as it's too lengthy to get your point across) and ask in a nice way how you are paying for this service. You noticed the other day that she was gone well before the two hours and there are tons of things you'd love to have done with the extra 45 mins - such as ironing or whatever.
If she says that you are paying for her just to clean the flat to a certain standard, then you'll have to work out if you are happy with that arrangement. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with that.

WipsGlitter Wed 27-May-15 14:23:14

I'm not sure about that message!! A bit PA!

What about?

Hi, was passing the flat today at xxxx time and saw you leaving. Was this a one off? We had agreed two hours and if you are able to get the cleaning done quicker than this we can either (A) pay for the time you are there or (B) agree a list of additional/non routine things for you to do. Let me know. Elf

fourchetteoff Wed 27-May-15 14:25:15

Well done Wips! Goood text.

Elfina Wed 27-May-15 14:27:37

Thanks, Whip! I wasn't meaning to be PA! I'm just a bloody wimp...

DontOpenDeadInside Wed 27-May-15 14:53:08

Do you pay by the hour? I mean did she give you hourly rate or just a price? My dp is a gardener and say for example a job is £20 a time, the 1st few times he might be there 1.5 hours, but as time goes on it might be down to 45 minutes or so as he is on top of things. I realise it is slightly different to a cleaner as once dp has taken all the weeds out there is not as many to do next time.

selly24 Wed 27-May-15 15:51:01

YANBU. I definitely think 2 hours is not enough. Things need to be done properly, otherwise what is the point of someone coming in ?We have a 3 bed 2 bath place and have someone 6hrs once a week. (includes the ironing and she takes the initiative to progress the laundry/ do any other jobs she can think of). I woukd feel very let down if someone was trying to deceive me by providing less and taking the whole fee. Not sure how I would feel about them.being in my house when I am not there, having key.... What else are the 'being cheeky' about?....

Just a thought? Is she via an agency (who take a cut of her pay or do you pay her direct? If agency she may after their cut earn a pittance and be trying to cram in lots of jobs to pay the bills?

BallsforEarrings Wed 27-May-15 15:51:13

I think it sounds like she has gone for the flat rate service model but not made it clear enough which has now made things awkward! hmm

I always WISH cleaning services would clearly state exactly what they are selling and at what price right at the quote then you would not get these confusions.

If she has not told you the price is for two hours it would not be appropriate to try to alter her business model, but you could ask her to make sure she gets details you've noticed she's missed. I wouldn't ask for extra services for free though, she may not include them within the scope of her service.

This needs a huge, open communication to resolve, not a text message.

JessiePinkman Wed 27-May-15 16:27:08

Let us know what her reply is elf!

Elfina Wed 27-May-15 17:21:10

Okay. Am plucking up courage to do it!

SandysMam Wed 27-May-15 20:35:14

This person comes into your home. Once the trust has gone I think you are better to let her go and move on. By stealing time she is as good as taking a gold ring or loo rolls. She can't be trusted, find someone who can then open with the story of how you had to sack your last cleaner because...

Holdonforonemoreday Wed 27-May-15 20:52:22

My new cleaner is now coming once a week as opposed to once a fortnight for 2 hours and she now has time for all the extra bits of cleaning which I notice, I also don't have to tidy up before she cleans which I love.

Just write a list of things you want her to tackle to make it clear.

Troglodad Wed 27-May-15 21:04:28

Well hang on, are you sure she wasn't having a break and/or passing a shop to get fags/snack? I'd be sure she was actually not working the time before accusing.

Also if you decide to get particular about paying by the hour it could be a double edged sword. You might get slower work and extra charges/unfinished work if you go over the 2 hrs you insist on.

Elfina Wed 27-May-15 21:28:53

Trod, nope, she was a good 15 min walk from the flat when I saw her, and I went straight home for the rest of the afternoon.

I think we're just going to cancel altogether. Have noticed that there's a fair bit of dust etc (I.e., bedside tables) which obviously haven't been done for more than a week. Tea drips on the washing machine, which I noticed as u was cooking dinner. Looks like she's just put the Hoover round and wiped down the bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now