Talk

Advanced search

Bloody Playmobil!! When did it get so complicated?

(23 Posts)
CountryMummy1 Tue 26-May-15 18:15:53

DD 3.5 has just discovered the delights of Playmobil and has been bought 2 sets by the doting Grandparents.

DH has spent the best part of the day erecting the ruddy swimming pool with its hundreds of pieces. I had to shut him in the kitchen so the children didn't hear the bad language!

Now I used to have Play People (think they were rebranded as Playmobile) and they certainly didn't have this complicated set up. OK, the sets now are pretty fab and I can't wait to play with them but how are you supposed to store the feckers?!?!

TheMoa Tue 26-May-15 18:19:51

I don't remember the swimming pool being very tricky - amateurs grin.

The camper van, pyramid, and playground are all great fun, and easy to put together...

CountryMummy1 Tue 26-May-15 18:42:37

grin yes, we are very much used to the ease of the Peppa Pig sets.....although certainly ready for some more interesting things now!

Fresh01 Tue 26-May-15 20:42:56

Make a note in your diary now that if your DS is getting more Playmobil for Christmas, it needs to be built before Xmas morningsmile Allow 3 hours and a bottle of wine to get things like the hotel/hospital built!

5Foot5 Tue 26-May-15 20:47:07

Fresh01 - some considerable time ago we assembled the fairy tale castle a couple of weeks before Christmas. It took 4 hours after DD had gone to bed and two bottles of wine but it was great fun.

OddBoots Tue 26-May-15 20:51:02

I'm glad you posted this, my children are older and never had playmobile, I was feeling slightly guilty and wondering about getting some for god children but maybe their parents wouldn't appreciate that much.

CountryMummy1 Tue 26-May-15 20:59:39

I should get some for the god children OddBoots! You get all the fun of playing with it but can leave the erection to the parents grin I will definitely be getting my niece a particularly complicated one

feckitall Tue 26-May-15 21:04:48

My DC only had small sets, we couldn't afford it...I'm planning on getting GDC bigger sets to play with myself to keep here for visits.. grin

BettyCatKitten Tue 26-May-15 22:02:43

Yanbu, my dc's got a kitchen, took me 3 fucking hours (of my life I will never get back!) to assemble. Never again.... Step away from the playmobile!

TarkaTheOtter Tue 26-May-15 22:04:39

I LOVE building playmobil sets - maybe I should go into business.
I also like making flat pack furniture.

BettyCatKitten Tue 26-May-15 22:12:54

Tarka you could earn a fortunegrin

DollsHouseTeaParty Tue 26-May-15 22:12:56

I'm tempted to buy Playmobil now. I have no small children... blush

I do have wine, however. And am willing to put off any household task to deal with Playmobil. grin

PaperdollCartoon Tue 26-May-15 22:52:46

I'm with you DollsHouseTeaParty, Playmobil is awesome, and even better now than when I was a kid, you can get everything and the most wide ranging, gender neutral toy of that kind there is (compare to Sylvanian Families, Lego, Barbies etc) which I love. Wheel in all the Playmobil, totally worth it.

Tarka, my partner loves building flat pack furniture too

bluecheque4595 Tue 26-May-15 22:56:28

My family called them busybodies, not Playmobil. The first box I got from my Aunt she called them busybodies.

I love looking at the boxes, I still desire to play with them but am a grown up so cannot, curses on being a grown up!

Knottyknitter Tue 26-May-15 22:57:06

I'd have been distraught if my parents/father Christmas and the elves had built my toys before I got up on Christmas morning confused

Then again I've grown up into the woman who actively chooses the complicated stuff from Ikea and makes everyone leave her to it in much the same way others cherish a bubble bath with a glass of wine!

YsabellStoHelit Tue 26-May-15 23:00:32

I love building Lego and IKEA furniture but man dinosaur playmobil nearly broke me. Sooo fiddly. Also the wooden play kitchen in IKEA. A friend told me it took 3 hours to assemble. I scoffed and thought her hubby was an amateur.... Joke on me. Got through 4 episodes of Castle whilst assembling that fecker!

flora717 Tue 26-May-15 23:07:19

I love the challenge of these things. I was the child covered in glue bits and paint from airfix models!

Tryharder Tue 26-May-15 23:07:46

YANBU. Playmobile are evil.

There's about 5 hours of last Xmas day I'll never get back to build DS2's fecking castle. He played with it for about 10mins.

Vingtdeux22 Wed 27-May-15 10:05:22

Playmobil not Playmobile?

I am reliably informed that "Busybodies" were another toy marketed in the 1970s, similar idea but never caught on in the way that Playmobil did. Playmobil were "Playpeople" when made under license in the UK by Louis Marx but the German parent company sold direct to UK after Louis Marx went under.

Playmobil projects are never evil. Complicated occasionally, but everything fits together and works.

TwinkieTwinkle Wed 27-May-15 10:14:33

DS got two really big sets from his grandad a couple Christmases ago. Big castle on a rock type thing, with dungeons, trap doors, dragons, soldiers etc. There were tears by the end of Christmas Day and not from him...

6cats3gingerkittens Wed 27-May-15 12:29:38

What is playmobile?

OOAOML Wed 27-May-15 12:33:10

We have dragon castle stuff it is brilliant. The pirate ship I think was the toughest assembly. Love the pyramid, although it is tough to move without lots of tiles falling down.

IsabellaofFrance Wed 27-May-15 12:36:25

DD wants the school for her birthday.

The Castle she got for Christmas nearly broke DH. She ended up finally getting to play with it about 6pm on Christmas Day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now