Talk

Advanced search

To throw away all my children's dressing up clothes?

(102 Posts)
MrsNextDoor Tue 26-May-15 00:48:56

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3096677/Why-parent-throw-child-s-fancy-dress-costumes-man-saved-TV-Claudia-s-daughter-fireball.html

Daily Fail link sorry but I've learned from it that after Claudia Winkleman's poor DD was burned at Halloween, the man who helped her has found out that Halloween and dress up costumes...the nylon kind we all buy cheaply in Supermarkets are classed as TOYS and so aren't fire safe.

angry why did I never check!?

I know our kids don't routinely run round candles in their dress up outfits but one spark....

EatShitDerek Tue 26-May-15 00:51:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

It's not the first ive heard of, sadly. First serious one though. I didn't know until today that they were classed as toys.

MrsSheRa Tue 26-May-15 00:55:00

It's something I bear in mind now. Wouldn't chuck them though.

newtothenet Tue 26-May-15 01:00:18

I know it's not quite the same as princesses and spiderman, but can you gradually replace them with charity shop hats and clothes? It might even make for more imaginative play?

StupidBloodyKindle Tue 26-May-15 01:00:43

I don't have any candles in my house due to ridiculous fire alarms.
Feel free to throw them my way.

StupidBloodyKindle Tue 26-May-15 01:03:11

I am of course joking (I am not in the UK). But I am sure your local preschool would love them for dressing up box. Unlikely to be sparks in primaries due to health and safety.

DoJo Tue 26-May-15 01:03:13

I think awareness is half the battle with this kind of thing, so I wouldn't necessarily ditch them all, but ensure they aren't used when there's any chance of a naked flame being involved.

DoJo Tue 26-May-15 01:03:59

I think awareness is half the battle with this kind of thing, so I wouldn't necessarily ditch them all, but ensure they aren't used when there's any chance of a naked flame being involved.

DoJo Tue 26-May-15 01:03:59

DoJo Tue 26-May-15 01:04:19

I REALLY meant that, apparently.

StupidBloodyKindle Tue 26-May-15 01:09:05

And I feel immensely sorry for Claudia. I hope in the new series of Strictly she can sit out the Halloween one and just spend that Saturday with her DD.
I don't do the trick or treat thing. I do have several flamnable costumes though. But awareness is the key. The parties we go to are no-smoking, no candles, no tealights, pumpkin deco only (as in sticking on eyes rather than hollowing out).

MrsNextDoor Tue 26-May-15 01:14:31

I just find it amazing. I mean it's obvious really! The things are practially PLASTIC they're so cheap. Why have I never looked for a fire retardent lable or something?

Arsenic Tue 26-May-15 01:17:36

Marketing.

But what happened to bonfire night safety warnings and broadcasts? The importance of natural fibres near flames was drummed into us as children. It's a shame this is the reminder.

hedgehogsdontbite Tue 26-May-15 06:43:40

They covered it on watchdog. It's pretty scary.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-ZCTHTr1s

DinosaursRoar Tue 26-May-15 06:55:17

Problem is these are often worn at birthday parties, so with candles, in locations the parents aren't in control of.

I guess I'm lucky that as dc1 I a boy, most of the fancy dress costumes are skin tight of the superhero variety, the princess dresses are more of an issue - esp the sea of Elsa costumes with floaty capes that waft about.

I hope the law is changed on this.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Tue 26-May-15 06:55:51

I actually agree with the previous poster who said replace with old charity shop stuff, that's what my old dressing up box was. I wasn't even aware of these commercial costumes until my teenager years. I don't know wether they were around in the 80's or just too expensive for my parents. Either way I never felt like I missed out.

Esoecially at this time of year you can get little bridesmaid dresses from charity shops for the girls to feel like princess, blue trousers and shirt could be a policeman.

howabout Tue 26-May-15 07:02:28

I agree that fire safety adverts should be brought back.
Also, our dressing up box is mostly old clothes, sheets and curtains.

mateysmum Tue 26-May-15 07:09:51

Do what you feel comfortable with but remember apart from nightclothes, normal, everyday clothes are not flammability tested, si it could be argued are also vulnerable in the presence of naked flames.

HagOtheNorth Tue 26-May-15 07:16:04

Gift them to your local primary or preschool, no naked flames there.
A truly horrible accident. My blood chilled when she described patting at the flames though, that's not going to work. You have to smother them, if you have nothing else you can use, you use your own body.
Sadly a number of children in an area I used to work in had similar accidents. Poor housing, gas heating and cooking and floaty salwaar kamees with scarves.

redcaryellowcar Tue 26-May-15 07:24:38

Whilst I think it's terribly sad what happened to Claudia's daughter, I also think it's totally foolish to have naked flames in the house and especially at a children's party. We bought lots of led night light style candles, totally safe and although not exactly the same, probably give off the same amount of light, especially if. In a pumpkin.

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-May-15 07:33:51

It's fairly obvious when you look at them that they're not the most durable items of clothing and fairly likely to be flammable as fuck though... you just balance out the risks you're comfortable with taking - we don't have candles in the house, we don't have smokers in the house - so I'm personally OK with my kids wearing them... but if they were out trick or treating (something I don't agree with anyway) - I'd be using battery powered tealights in lanterns anyway purely as candles in the buggers never stay lit... and I'd be much more cautious and discourage some of the outfits if we were going to say, a party where people were likely to have lanterns with candles.

And yes, I know the ins and bloody outs of the toy certification regulations since I'm currently setting fire to handmade toys to be able to CE certify them for sale myself... I know how flammable they're allowed to be before failing tests so I'm not exactly floating around in ignorance over it all.

PureMorning Tue 26-May-15 07:38:23

I think it's a manageable risk.

My son spends most of his days in fancy dress. No naked flames within his reach, at birthday party's the candles on the cake are fine, just stay back while blowing.

While I have every sympathy for Claudia and the accident is horrific I do think chucking out all fancy dress is a overreaction.

Mellifera Tue 26-May-15 07:57:55

I think I will go through my DD's dressing up box and decide she's grown out of the multi layered floaty polyester stuff. She has one of those witches costumes and I think I will replace it with something I will sew myself.

I don't allow her to go to birthday parties with these costumes anyway, she wears "normal" party dresses.

Classing those costumes as toys is ridiculous. It just allows the manufactorers to use cheaper material, putting out children at risk.

Mellifera Tue 26-May-15 08:07:45

our

We have candles in the house. I will not throw them out, but my children aren't toddlers anymore. Youngest is 6.
I expect a certain amount of fire safety from clothes.

The accident happened with other people's real candles, and the situation which Claudia describes is not easily controlled - even knowing about the dangers of those dresses - it's dark, lots of children milling about, children running ahead etc, I will not risk it again.

I hate trick or treating anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now