AIBU to ask: if we like Pollensa, where to go in Crete?

(20 Posts)
suzanski Mon 25-May-15 18:02:08

I know I know, this isn't the right place, but my mind is whizzing! Any ideas for me, o wise ones?

suzanski Mon 25-May-15 18:31:21

purlease? off to help at cubs, and hoping for lots of informative replies!

wineoclockthanks Mon 25-May-15 18:35:23

It was 13 1/2 years ago (!) but Georgiopoli was lovely - bit smaller than Pollensa but had retained its Greek-ness. Had huge long beach and loads of small restaurants

Also, we flew in Chania which was a lovely airport. We had such a lovely holiday there - so lovely that DS1 was conceived there and is 13 on Thursday grin

wineoclockthanks Mon 25-May-15 18:36:27

He was 2 months prem so actually must have been 13 years and 7 months ago smile

suzanski Mon 25-May-15 18:42:52

thanks wine! sounds lovely...

TravellingHopefully12 Mon 25-May-15 19:41:01

when I was a kid and foreign holidays were still a novelty, we all went to a small village outside Chania - think it was called Kalimides or something like that. It was beautiful and my parents chose it because it was the 'untouritsy' side of Crete, compared to say Knossos (though apparently that's really interesting because of the mythology) - still lots of stuff to see though and lots of wild flowers and mountains - also a beach near the cottage which was great for me and db.

My Mum read Captain Correlli, even though we were on the wrong island, and my Dad read us a kid's version of The Odyssey (irrelevant to your Q but it was awesome, I remember that.)

Never been to Pollensa, but it looks stunning and similar historic sites to Chania.

Have a good trip!

YouCanButImNot Mon 25-May-15 19:48:31

Another vote for chania from me! We had a wonderful holiday there a few years ago.

alsmutko Mon 25-May-15 19:58:23

Don't know anything about Pollensa. But Bali in Crete is lovely.
Have you checked out
www.greekisland.co.uk?

TenerifeSea Mon 25-May-15 19:59:45

YABU

It's years since I've been, but in the early 2000s we had an idyllic fortnight in Elounda. Bit of diving, visiting Spinalonga (leper colony island) and eating lots of lovely food. Hired a car for a few days, tootled round the island.... Lots of finding spots to have sex in.... We were young and it was still a fairly new relationship. blush

TSSDNCOP Mon 25-May-15 21:08:32

Elounda, if you have €€€'s stay at the Elounda Beach. We also loved Rethymnon.

RegTheMonkey1 Mon 25-May-15 21:17:26

Mirtos!

ilovesooty Mon 25-May-15 21:38:03

I've just come back from Chania. It was lovely.

suzanski Tue 26-May-15 18:17:49

ha ha Tenerife, are you offended we're not going to the Islas Canarias?!

Sweetpea15 Tue 26-May-15 19:00:00

I got married in Rethymnon. Was amazing smile

BessieBumptious Tue 26-May-15 20:28:58

OP, no idea I'm afraid, but I'm looking forward to any ideas as I absolutely adore Pollensa (and it's not too far for a long weekend either). Plus I've always fancied Crete but get confused every time I look, simply because I base all possibles on Pollensa!!

TalkinPeace Tue 26-May-15 21:15:58

Def anywhere within walking distance of the restaurants in the centre of Chania

and I liked Pollensa too when we went there

Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife is the Caries equivalent

cantbelievemyeyes Tue 26-May-15 21:31:39

Haven't been to Pollensa, but just back from Sissi in Crete which was lovely. We also stay in Piskopiano/ Koutouloufari but they're a way back from the sea, on the side of a mountain so if a beach an easy walk away is important they may not suit.

Have just looked up Pollensa though and it looks gorgeous- may fancy that for our next holiday, so cheers!

Iamblossom Tue 26-May-15 21:33:13

Love Chania. We stay about 40 minutes drive from there between the villages of Kalyves and Almerida. Lovely.

HarryLimeFoxtrot Tue 26-May-15 21:35:13

I liked Chania, although I think we actually stayed in Kalives (bit hazy - was probably 15 years ago).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now