Talk

Advanced search

to complain about the noise

(46 Posts)
thegreatwideopen Sun 24-May-15 10:38:31

Hi all,

Have NC for this. I live with my child in a rented flat which shares a common stairwell. The neighbour across from me is in her 50s, and has family round fairly regularly to visit (have 2 children, one about 4, the other around 1) but when they leave, the 4 year old can be noisy in the stairwell (chats to parents, sings to himself etc), which can echo in the stairwell. They have to go past my door and down a set of stairs to get outside. It isn't particularly late when they leave (anywhere from 6 -8pm) but aibu for wanting to complain to them/local authority? Would I have any grounds for action? I haven't lived there long, only a few months.

GeraldineFangedVagine Sun 24-May-15 10:41:49

Seems really mean to complain if you ask me. It's still quite early and how long can the noise last for? 5 mins? Less? I think you will fall out with your neighbour and think the council would laugh at you. YABU.

ilovesooty Sun 24-May-15 10:42:59

Sorry that doesn't sound like a reasonable complaint to me. You could ask them directly to be mindful if the echoing as they leave but this is a four year old.
Complaining to the local authority sounds OTT.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 24-May-15 10:45:12

Unless there's anything else to this story, no.

You sound outrageously intolerant, tbh. hmm

soverylucky Sun 24-May-15 10:45:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

afreshstartplease Sun 24-May-15 10:46:04

Oh give over

youmakemydreams Sun 24-May-15 10:46:38

Do your dc never utter a word on the stairwell?
It's not unreasonable noise. They are chatting, singing and being 4. You cannot complain about normal every day noise you live in a flat it happens.

MakeItRain Sun 24-May-15 10:46:45

It doesn't sound like too much of a problem really. Presumably it doesn't last very long, it's not late and it sounds like lovely noise - a child chatting and singing. I don't think a complaint would get you anywhere, because I don't really think anyone would really understand what the problem is. Unless it's at your child's bedtime and interfering with that or waking him/her? If it's that you could maybe tell them when your dc's bedtime is and ask if they could encourage him to be a bit quieter if they leave after that. If not then I'm not sure you'd have much grounds for any complaint.

It's obviously really stressing you out for some reason though. Are you worried/ stressed about something else and focusing on this instead?

PtolemysNeedle Sun 24-May-15 10:47:09

You have a problem with being able to hear a four year old for as long as it takes to get down a couple of flights of stairs? Yes, YABVU.

pictish Sun 24-May-15 10:47:48

Yabu. Come on now. Stop it.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 24-May-15 10:48:38

Has to be a reverse. It would be madness to complain to anyone about a few minutes of noise from a child at those times.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 24-May-15 10:49:35

Seriously, you want to complain about a bit of stairway noise from 6-8pm? Don't be daft.

thornrose Sun 24-May-15 10:49:52

YABVU that's just normal everyday noise we all have to live with. Don't you and your child chat on the way downstairs?

NerrSnerr Sun 24-May-15 10:51:39

Is this a reverse?

gamerchick Sun 24-May-15 10:52:44

Has to be a reverse man, nobody is that intolerant to a few minutes noise now and then and then post on the Internet asking if they should complain to the big guys hmm

TenerifeSea Sun 24-May-15 10:54:00

Umm, how old is your child?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 24-May-15 10:55:35

Sounds like a problem of crap acoustics on the stairwell rather than noisy kids, tbh. You/your family are probably as loud to your neighbours when you come and go.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 24-May-15 10:56:08

Assuming this isn't a reverse or whatever.

Perfectlypurple Sun 24-May-15 10:56:19

That wouldn't be classed as noise nuisance. You would have no grounds to complain.

Floralnomad Sun 24-May-15 10:57:11

If this is actually true please do complain as I would imagine it would give the people at the council a good laugh and brighten their day ! YABVVVVVVU .

AGirlCalledBoB Sun 24-May-15 10:57:59

Are you joking? You seriously want to complain for the couple of mins Imag most it takes a 4 year old to walk down the stairs?

They will not take it seriously, they are making noise for a couple of mins and it is not even that late when they are doing it. It is petty to complain about this.

thegreatwideopen Sun 24-May-15 10:58:12

No, not a reverse ladies. Just wondered if I was being unreasonable or not, sometimes these things can seem bigger to me than they actually are I guess. As I said in my original post, they do have to pass my front door. Sometimes they leave just as I have DD settled, as it can be around bedtime.

Think I'm overreacting, and I'm grateful for the comments. Don't have much in the way of adult conversation these days, so things can be a storm in a teacup. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

Reginafalangie Sun 24-May-15 10:59:05

No grounds for action at all but I think you knew that.

Learn to live with it of move.

AuntyMag10 Sun 24-May-15 11:01:12

Yes mean to complain about a visiting child. He's hardly throwing a party at 4yo.

gamerchick Sun 24-May-15 11:05:53

I'm glad you see that and I understand what it's like when you don't get much adult interaction. No it's not grounds for complaint. There may not be any harm in asking your neighbour if they could be considerate when passing your door because it's your child's bedtime and it takes longer to do or something but equally they could be one of those types to ramp it up.

As an aside echoey places are excellent for sensory stuff.. I love to sing in places that echo. I can understand why the 4 yr old does it, it's a nice feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now