Talk

Advanced search

To not be excited about our house move

(15 Posts)
Anderson78 Sun 24-May-15 10:30:11

We are weeks away from moving, and all I feel at the moment is dread. I feel like I being spoilt and unreasonable, so need to hear it from others! The house buying process itself hasn't been stress free which has made me feel negative, but I have this horrible feeling we are making a mistake.

I never envisaged being able to spend this amount in a house, but last year I received a large sum of money from inheritance. ( life changing amount to us, but probably not others) we decided to spend it on a property, and on paper it sounds good, in a village, large garden, walkable to school. I just don't think I love it. It does need a lot of work and with 2 children under 2, I'm exhausted and hate the thought of living in a building site. I love our current house, it's not in the best of areas, but not terrible, although the schools are not great. We've been so happy here and made it exactly how we want it and just feel so sad to leave.

I keep hoping out buyers will pull out and we can stay! Aibu?

nightshade Sun 24-May-15 10:35:14

Why did you choose to buy it...surely there must have been some positives??..are you sure you are not just feeling the sadness of leaving which is quite normal....what does hubby and the kids think?

HarpyBeard Sun 24-May-15 10:38:47

Is it just the entirely understandable prospect of building work plus sadness at leaving the place you've been happy that's bothering you?

I'm not sure overjoyed ness needs to be part of the house buying process. We are likewise in mid-purchase (albeit of a house we already rent) and I'm not keen, but it makes sense logistically, and we'll sell it again and move on in a year or two.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 24-May-15 10:42:26

In the middle of a move, and if one more person says oohhh how exciting I will not responsible for my actions.

I love my house, we've sorted out all the problems, not in a great area but lovely neighbours.

On paper - moving to a bigger house, with a much needed extra toilet and bedroom. But I don't love it like I loved this house sad

ChunkyPickle Sun 24-May-15 10:46:19

I think there's always a sinking feeling about whether you've done the right thing once all the paperwork is signed and the enormity of what you've just done starts to hit.

I think lots of people arrive at an empty house on moving day, all their belongings packed in a van, kids being a pain, to discover that the old tenants haven't even bothered to hoover up and have left a load of junk in the garage and end up having a little cry in the middle of the living room (or is that just me?).

A few months in, when you've slapped some paint on the walls (not even a good job, just something to make it look like my house), got the beds in, your mugs in the kitchen etc. Everything starts to look a lot rosier, and you realise that actually it was the best thing you did, and you'll learn to love this house too.

Anderson78 Sun 24-May-15 12:31:12

Thanks, I'm reassured that the feeling are normal. Im sure I need to think with my head, rather than expect I'm going to love it like my current house. My husband thinks I'm just panicking, and is keen as loves the space and potential. Though he had said if we really don't like it we can move when we can afford it

nightshade Sun 24-May-15 22:08:20

Three months and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.....I'm busting to go....5wks and packing and i also love my current house very much....but I've been trying to sell for several years...I'm ready now...

FaFoutis Sun 24-May-15 22:17:28

I had 3 under 4 last time we moved. We moved from a little house in a city to a bigger house with huge garden in a village, 2 mins walk from great schools. I was on the verge of moving back to the city for at least 6 months, absolutely sure we had made a horrible mistake. I can't believe how illogical and distraught I was.
5 years later we are very happy here; lots of friends, children love it and the schools are great.

Good luck with your move, it will be fine.

ArsenalsPlayingAtHome Sun 24-May-15 22:52:22

Watching this with interest, Anderson78.

FWIW, I think you're spending your inheritance wisely. Give yourself a few months and I think you'll be sure you've done the right thing. Some people are just uneasy with change.

it doesn't feel like your house, but it will given time.

We are at the early stages of moving - house been on the market for a week but already had several people who are very interested.

I love our house, I will miss it so much, but I feel the time is right for someone else to love it and enjoy it as much as we have. I need to take loads of photos of the DCs and dog in it, as a keepsake.

Good luck with your move, OP. smile

GameOfGroans Mon 25-May-15 09:11:41

ChunkyPickle you are spot on! That's EXACTLY what happened to me. 9 months later I love my new house, just as much as I loved my flat.

Good luck with the move OP, it's completely normal to feel anxious.

pinkstinks Mon 25-May-15 09:14:51

We are on day 5 of the move and haven't built the bed yet!! Decided to decorate before getting every thing in... Big mistake! I need some more annual leave to recover from this! In sure it will be ok in the end hopeful thank god we have brick the end of the week to move out of our rented place!!!

QueefOfTheDamned Mon 25-May-15 10:36:26

I feel like this too. If all goes to plan, we'll be moving in July. I'm not so emotionally attached to our house but the area is fantastic. We're moving from city to rural location with beautiful views, bigger house with some land etc. which is what we want but I still just feel worried about logistics and can't get excited about it at all.

PeppermintCrayon Mon 25-May-15 12:22:56

Remember you're comparing the end of your time in one house with the start of your time in the new one. So you don't love it yet. But that can change in time.

Firsttimer7259 Mon 25-May-15 12:27:24

We are also moving soon - once building work etc finally done. im also feeling sad about leaving our old home even tho its a necessary move. People keep expecting me to be over the moon excited. Im not, I appreciate it needs to be done, but the effort and stress is a lot. I think its normal and I think the new house fits our bill well.

Becauseicannes Mon 25-May-15 12:30:01

Houses are like boyfriends . The next one is always bigger and better. ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now