Talk

Advanced search

Thread deleted Message from MNHQ:

(13 Posts)
chippednailvarnish Sat 23-May-15 20:37:51

AIBU to be sick of this appearing all over my threads "I'm on" list. I'd like the number of posts an OP has previously posted by their name so I can make a judgement call on whether or not to bother posting (it doesn't always help, I know)!

CommonplaceMagic Sat 23-May-15 20:42:14

But people name change all the time so it wouldn't work on MN. I've been around for years but name changed today so I only have less than half a dozen posts with this nickname.

Besides there's nothing to stop a determined troll from building up a posting history before spinning their fantasies.

A better approach would be to try and acquire a decent 'trolldar' and report anything suspicious to MNHQ.

PattiODoors Sat 23-May-15 20:45:48

Aye what Common P said

BallsforEarrings Sat 23-May-15 20:52:18

Why can't we name change but still show the amount of posts we posted since we joined no matter under what name?

PattiODoors Sat 23-May-15 20:55:19

Being a long term poster is no guarantee though.

Being careful here, don't really want to turn thread into Troll 101.

Quitelikely Sat 23-May-15 20:58:54

Which thread was deleted?

CommonplaceMagic Sat 23-May-15 21:02:14

Why can't we name change but still show the amount of posts we posted

One thing I like about MN is that there is little in the way of 'hierarchy'. On other forums I've been on, often KirstyH with 50000 posts thinks they are more entitled to tell the OP how to act that Becky101 with 25 posts. You don't get that with MN. And there is no less of a community feel for it either.

Trolls will troll regardless.

YouTheCat Sat 23-May-15 21:13:58

There's been a few recently who I reckon are either trolls or journalists (or both) but they've got tonnes of posts because they've been quite prolific for a few weeks. Every thread they post is goady, ill-informed nonsense.

chippednailvarnish Sat 23-May-15 22:18:07

Youthe it definitely feels like MN is the go to site for lazy journalists.

YouTheCat Sat 23-May-15 22:22:25

Doesn't it? I thought it would calm down after the election.

Marioswife Sun 24-May-15 02:39:58

The SN sections are riddled with researchers.

GloriousGloria Sun 24-May-15 06:06:04

There's no hierarchy here?!?

You are joking aren't you?

How many threads have I read where someone has complained that the op has "listened" to a particular poster because that particular is well established and has been around for years.

Longevity doesn't make you have the monopoly on being right or having a better opinion than somebody who is new

thegreylady Sun 24-May-15 08:41:00

My last one was deleted at my request because I had posted a photo which might have been recognisable and I didn't want to upset anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now