To be hurt by my friend's comment

(41 Posts)
wowfudge Sat 23-May-15 16:42:31

Away for the weekend with a group of friends. I have pitched in by cooking a meal last night - I was asked if I would by the organiser - and generally helping with clearing up and keeping the kitchen tidy.

I asked one of the group to pick up some plastic glasses when they were out today, but they forgot. I was paying and thought it would save us having to wash a load of wine glasses (which don't fit in the dishwasher) tomorrow when there will probably be some sore heads.

Mentioned in passing to the person who is my closest friend 'oh x forgot the glasses' and she was really nasty to me then said sorry very insincerely and literally laughed in my face.

I was shocked and hurt - I have actually cried in private, probably because I'm tired after a late night last night.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sat 23-May-15 16:49:54

Well as you have missed out what your friend ACTUALLY said it's really hard to judge.

Anyway sorry it made you cry that's never a nice feeling flowers

Favouritethings Sat 23-May-15 16:50:23

Nasty in what way, what did she say?

AuntyMag10 Sat 23-May-15 16:52:47

What was the comment made?

NerrSnerr Sat 23-May-15 16:52:51

What did she actually say and did you say that she forgot the glasses in a bitchy way?

JammyGem Sat 23-May-15 16:53:46

Hard to judge who's BU if we don't know what she said.

SwearyGodmother Sat 23-May-15 16:54:40

I think regardless of what was said if you found it hurtful then you're not unreasonable to be hurt - you take your victim as you find them, and she hit on something that you find hurtful. Without knowing what she said it's hard to know whether you're being unreasonable to hold it against her in the future, if indeed that's what you might do.

Sometimes people are horrid. If it's a standalone comment and not a pattern of her putting you down, then put it down to a bitchy comment and move on.

wowfudge Sat 23-May-15 17:19:55

It was definitely designed to hit a nerve. Anyway I've spoken to DP which helped. Have decided to try to forget about it - she knew she was in the wrong hence the immediate apology.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sat 23-May-15 17:23:10

hmm <wishes there was an eye rolling emoticon>

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 23-May-15 17:40:56

You do need to forget about it. Weekends like this are all about compromise and being easy going. I'm a little surprised you cried sbout it. It should be fun, not tear inducing.

justmyview Sat 23-May-15 17:43:08

Off topic & sorry you were upset, but YABU for wanting to harm the environment by using plastic glasses. Hope you have a nice evening & rest of weekend turns out OK

youareallbonkers Sat 23-May-15 17:50:53

We'll tell us what she said...I'll just have to make up my own version.

youareallbonkers Sat 23-May-15 17:52:37

I guess it was something about you not pulling your weight.

TandemFlux Sat 23-May-15 17:55:51

So what nasty thing did she say. You haven't explained

scratchandsniff Sat 23-May-15 17:58:25

Yawn. What's the point in posting if you're not going to tell us what she said.

youarekiddingme Sat 23-May-15 18:03:45

Who was nasty to you? Your closest friend who you told x had forgotten glasses to or X?

Another who thinks without knowing what was said it's hard to judge.

Favouritethings Sat 23-May-15 18:07:08

Hence the immediate apology... Which you said was insincere then she laughed in your face?
This is confusing.

diddl Sat 23-May-15 18:32:37

It's hard to see how anyone can make a nasty comment about "X forgot the glasses".

Have you made a big fuss about needing then & the others not fitting in the dishwasher?

I mean how many of you are there to make washing one night's glasses a problem?

Squeakycleansparkle Sat 23-May-15 18:38:59

What did she say?

Was it "oh I bet you d got plenty, what with being a bit of a lush"

Or

"You wanker."

C'mon! Detail!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 23-May-15 18:41:33

I'm waiting for my rice to cook <sits watching the timer>

What did she say to cause such massive upset?

DoJo Sat 23-May-15 18:46:01

I agree that it's hard to judge when we don't know what your friend's comment actually was!

LittleIda Sat 23-May-15 18:48:26

What was the comment?

Focusfocus Sat 23-May-15 18:52:40

Let the OP be.

I have no idea why people post in AIBU when they are upset and just need a shoulder to cry on. Post in AIBU for all else, but really AIBU can be a hard place, and when you've been crying is not the right time to come in here.

I'm sure we are bored etc, but surely there's other things we could all do instead of going on trying to make the OP say more than what she has already said.

Squeakycleansparkle Sat 23-May-15 18:54:54

Actually I think not posting what was said, is a bit like those facebook exchanges:

"Why is life so hard?"

Then
"What's up lovie?"
"PM me hun."

Grrrrrr.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 23-May-15 18:54:59

I think we have Let the OP be Focus. Tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now