Advanced search

to ask if this is an OOH job?

(292 Posts)
jorahmormont Sat 23-May-15 11:43:25

Long story short, months of agonising stomach pain. Back and forth to doctors constantly, told they suspect an ulcer. Been taking tablets so now I get say a week pain free followed by a week in agony.
Doctor told me to book a h.pylori blood test. Can't get through to the phlebotomy service, have been trying for 4 weeks now. Just started a new job and in the middle of training so can't take time off anyway.

Yesterday the pain was so bad all day I felt constantly sick, it was right up in my shoulder as well as my stomach, dizzy, unable to focus, everything. Got worse when I got home from work, couldn't regulate my temperature, had a fever and was in so much pain. My stomach has swollen and it feels like there's a solid lump when im standing up, its literally rock solid. Today I feel marginally better but I'm still stuck in bed, temperature is fairly high and I am in pain. My heart is still skipping beats and jumping all over the place.

I don't know if out of hours could do anything for me. DP is adamant I don't need it but the pain has never left me like this before.

WIBU to go to out of hours? They'll be so busy this weekend sad

gymboywalton Sat 23-May-15 11:45:11

i would go to a and e

go now

SoupDragon Sat 23-May-15 11:46:21

I'd go to A&E too.

Triliteral Sat 23-May-15 11:46:32

I had similar. It was an infected gall bladder. I would go to A&E if I were you.

jorahmormont Sat 23-May-15 11:51:00

I've had scans on my gallbladder which showed nothing.

I don't feel like it's emergency enough for A&E and my local one is so stretched as it is.

chocolatelife Sat 23-May-15 11:51:59

doesnt sound veyr nice op.
you need to get it looked at

VivienScott Sat 23-May-15 11:53:17

If you're in that much pain, with an irregular heart beat and a temperature you should go to A&E.By the sounds of it, even if you called OOH, and described those symptoms, they are most likely to put you through to the ambulance service. It might have starte bleeding, you need medical attention.

VivienScott Sat 23-May-15 11:54:47

If you do not want to go to A&E, at the very least call 111, and get medical advice. An irregular heart beat is not a good thing to have.

westcountrywoman Sat 23-May-15 11:55:27

Yes I'd go to out of hours. If nothing else they could give you some strong painkillers.

I sympathise. I had this sort of pain a few years ago. It felt like someone was sticking a hot poker from my stomach, through my back and into my shoulder blade and twisting it around. I had various episodes of this, over a two year period. And then it just stopped. GP wasn't overly helpful; he felt it couldn't be too serious due to my age (early twenties). I did have a gall bladder scan that was fine. All very odd and incredibly painful. I hope yours goes away too. X

NorahDentressangle Sat 23-May-15 11:55:40

I don't think they'll be busy yet, give people time to have a few drinks, trip over their tent wire, get stung bitten by something etc
It'll be late afternoon and evening that's bad I should think.

Carrie5608 Sat 23-May-15 11:55:44

Yes you need to go to either out of hours or A&E a temperature is a sign of infection not H Pylori.

VivienScott Sat 23-May-15 11:57:33

It might be a perforated ulcer, that's the phrase I was looking for and it is very serious, so get yourself looked at. You are unwell, it could be an emergency if it is perforated, you are not wasting A&E's time.

ALittleFaith Sat 23-May-15 12:00:11

The fact that your heart beat feels irregular concerns me (I'm a nurse). At least call 111. I know you don't want to put pressure on the medical services but I think you have just reason.

jorahmormont Sat 23-May-15 12:01:37

Westcountry thats exactly what mine feels like. The doctor said if I was older they'd refer for endoscopy but im v. early twenties so they won't.

originalusernamefail Sat 23-May-15 12:01:37

Go to A&E, I'm worried your ulcer has perforated.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 23-May-15 12:02:12

Yes, as others have said, 111 or A&E.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sat 23-May-15 12:06:12

Shoulder pain is a red flag - get yourself to a & e pronto!

jorahmormont Sat 23-May-15 12:29:11

I've got an appointment with the nurse practitioner at 2pm. At the minute my biggest issue is the temperature so I'll see what they say at ooh. Thanks for the advice everyone, im sure its not hugely serious as the pain would still be excruciating if it was, wouldnt it?

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 23-May-15 12:35:23

I'm a triage nurse specialist. From what you have said, this is not a nurse practitioner job. Go to A&E.

popmimiboo Sat 23-May-15 12:44:34

High temp and pain is a sign of sepsis. Go to a&e now. Seriously, you are not over-reacting, you need checking out urgently.

VivienScott Sat 23-May-15 13:23:58

Pain is an incredibly subjective measure, you just need to see women in labour to know that. And sometimes, the worse a situation is, the more the body will produce chemicals to counter it. The irregular hearbeat, the solid abdomen, shoulder pain and fever are not things a nurse could diagnose, and I really think you need to see a doctor.

AlpacaMyBags Sat 23-May-15 13:39:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DragonsCanHop Sat 23-May-15 13:52:00

I'm echoing what everyone else has said. You need to go to A&E

jorahmormont Sat 23-May-15 14:17:08

The pain is gastritis and the ulcer, the other symptoms are a UTI. She pressed my back and it hurt like hell. So relieved it's two fairly minor issues rather than a serious one!

Imnotaslimjim Sat 23-May-15 14:28:54

Gastritis might be a "fairly minor issue" but it's incredibly painful sometimes, so don't do yourself down. Have they advised you on diet etc to reduce the symptoms? I hope the UTI is better soon xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: