Advanced search

Wibu to ask ex to contribute to costs of filing for divorce?

(8 Posts)
ApignamedJasper Fri 22-May-15 19:16:43

ExH and I separated nearly 2yrs ago, we both have partners now and have moved on to the extent where we are definately not getting back together and divorce is inevitable.

I want to file for divorce officially but am a bit reluctant to cough up the whole cost of filing for the papers all by myself, if I'm totally honest I'm a bit resentful over money issues regarding ex, largely due to the fact that throughout our relationship he spent vast sums of money on entirely selfish things and since we broke up has paid nothing towards the upkeep of his children.

Wibu to ask him to pay half? I feel it is fair enough considering how much I funded his lifestyle while we were together and at the moment he is earning more than me yet not paying any maintainance so I feel he owes me! Am I bu, petty and spiteful or should I ask him?

Fairy13 Fri 22-May-15 19:20:04

You can ask.

I would imagine he can also say no though.

My solicitor has advised that although I will have to pay the court fees as I'm the one petitioning, because we split due to DV I can ask the court to order that ex pays me back.

Don't know if that's applicable in your situation though?

KittensOnAPlane Fri 22-May-15 19:23:01

1) how much would it cost?
2) why isnt he paying?

Andrewofgg Fri 22-May-15 19:24:33

If it's a two year and consent job he can say that he will only consent if the petition does not ask for costs.

In his shoes I would agree to meet half the court fee but insist on a clean break order so that if one of us gets rich the other can't get greedy. You should do the same.

ApignamedJasper Fri 22-May-15 19:24:33

I doubt very much we will have to go through solicitors/ court etc it will just be a very simple straightforward divorce since we have no assets to split and he is happy with the custody arrangements for the children (he lives a very long way anyway so this isn't an issue).

Didn't realise ex partners could be ordered to pay you back though, although we didn't split due to DV, are there any other circumstances that can happen?

ApignamedJasper Fri 22-May-15 19:30:19

Kittens, as far as I'm aware it's about £400 for the paperwork, he doesn't seem in a particular rush to get divorced so I doubt he would offer if I didn't ask. I'm not in a huge rush either I just don't want to be 'his wife' anymore. Plus apparently student finance need a copy of my decree nisi to prove we are not a couple anymore, obviously I don't have this yet so might be problematic for me and student loans if I leave it much longer.

Fairy13 Fri 22-May-15 19:36:25

I'm not sure. I guess anything under the unreasonable behaviour umbrella? Adultery? Judge may not do it, but solicitor thinks it is likely.

KittensOnAPlane Fri 22-May-15 19:39:39

well i dont think you'd be unreasonable to ask, he should also be paying to support his DCs too though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now