Talk

Advanced search

to ask workman to turn off radio

(17 Posts)
chaletdays Fri 22-May-15 11:23:54

I'm working from home today. There is a workman at my window doing some work (block of apartments. I think he's cleaning the surrounds). He has a radio on and is singing and whistling along to the music.

WIBU and a cranky cow to ask him to stop?

Feminine Fri 22-May-15 11:32:39

Are you joking a bit?
<hopes>
Work like that, cleaning, decorating etc... Is really helped with a bit of music to get you motivated .
Don't deny him smile

DoraGora Fri 22-May-15 11:33:07

Yup. I'd leave him alone.

LarrytheCucumber Fri 22-May-15 11:33:43

Probably. We had a decorator who played Radio 2 all day and we put up with it. He did our hall/stairs/landing and largish sitting room. He was there a LONG while! Next decorator we had said he wouldn't be playing a radio because he thought it would be rude. Guess which one will be coming back next time!
If they were in your home and you would be paying it would be ok to ask(although we were cowards). Outside if you aren't paying you could ask but might not get anywhere.

meglet Fri 22-May-15 11:34:02

leave him be.

chaletdays Fri 22-May-15 11:34:27

I know it is Feminine. But I'm trying to write a report and can't concentrate. I'm not going to say anything, but it's bloody annoying.

RightSideOfWrong Fri 22-May-15 11:37:22

Put headphones in? White noise might help, or not listening to anything but just having them in.

I sympathise, I work from home too, and this week I've had people singing, playing tennis against the house, mowing the lawns outside all day and yesterday a very noisy and slow window cleaner who loudly sang and kept scaring the hell out of me. But it's a hazard of working from home. I try to think of all the annoyances I've avoided by being at home and not let it bug me too much.

I hope he can sing in tune, at least!

chaletdays Fri 22-May-15 11:39:59

I think he's nearly finished. His crane is moving. smile

Feminine Fri 22-May-15 11:40:47

It must be annoying if you are also trying to work.
Have you any earplugs then?
Is there a spot you could move to that might be more peaceful.
But,hopefully he'll be done soon smile

Feminine Fri 22-May-15 11:41:37

Oh cross posted.
Good luck with your report. smile

misscph1973 Fri 22-May-15 11:46:47

I work from home, and my neighbour is having an extension built. I told the 2 guys who built the foundation to turn their radio off, politely, and they were fine, in fact I chatted a lot to them. Now there is another team working on the roof and the inside, and they have a radio, and I haven't told them to turn it off, as they are only there for a few hours a day. They are a younger, louder bunch than the first 2 guys and I have had to tell them to clear up their mess on my property - politely, and it was fine.

Definitely tell him to be quiet. He's disturbing you.

chaletdays Fri 22-May-15 12:07:19

Thanks Feminine.

He's gone. smile

timelyreminder Fri 22-May-15 12:16:35

YANBU. If work(wo)men like music that much they can wear earphones to listen.

AlternativeTentacles Fri 22-May-15 12:52:25

I was working from home today. Woke up at 6:15 by my OH's alarm and had a cracking headache. Took painkillers and went back to bed. Was woken at 7:30 by the workmen next door. And again at 8:45 by them using a fucking kango hammer in the bedroom right next to mine. Managed to go back to sleep again and woke up with slightly less headache at 10:30.

ClaudiaNaughton Fri 22-May-15 13:06:59

I'm a coward and tell workmen in my house that neighbours would complain. I really don't want to hear their "music" all day. A male friend puts "no radios" on the original contract. Never had a problem.

Fudgeface123 Fri 22-May-15 13:18:49

They aren't allowed radios or any device with earphones on construction sites and they are mostly empty of occupants, so I don't think asking them to turn it off in your home is a problem.

TheCatsMother99 Fri 22-May-15 13:58:59

Poor sod. Probably gets a bit lonely so the radio is company for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now