Talk

Advanced search

To hate birthdays with a passion

(25 Posts)
Squirrel78 Thu 21-May-15 21:28:23

Ok aside from the horrible reminder of getting older I find my birthday to be the most poignant reminder of how few people actually give a shit. Apart from dh and my parents giving me a gift I've had a few cursory wishes from random Facebook acquaintances, my sister is late with her card again, the same friend who forgets my address every year has texted me asking my address yet again (on my bloody birthday! Do you know what - don't bother!) and my other so called bestie has forgotten as she does every year and will send an apologetic card in June as she does every year. I know I'm 35 and all that but why can't birthdays be a day to feel special even when you're older?!!!

EatShitDerek Thu 21-May-15 21:30:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EatShitDerek Thu 21-May-15 21:32:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sunflower1985 Thu 21-May-15 21:34:53

Happy birthday!

CynthiaRose Thu 21-May-15 21:39:32

Happy Birthday, Squirrel! My birthday today too, I don't get much special either, but I'm kind of used to it.

willbillycome Thu 21-May-15 21:40:16

My dh forgot mine last yearsad

Squirrel78 Thu 21-May-15 21:41:42

Thank you! Is 35 too old for a cake? I would've liked a cake hmm

MrsTedCrilly Thu 21-May-15 22:35:24

Do you think you come across as not bothered about it squirrel? Maybe if they knew you enjoyed birthdays they would make a fuss of you! My mistake with my partner was not being bothered so he's never done anything, now I have a little son I feel it's nice to start celebrating them so I've told him so. What would you like to happen? smile

VelvetRose Thu 21-May-15 22:35:47

Happy Birthday!!! flowers. I know what you mean!

MrsTedCrilly Thu 21-May-15 22:35:47

Nooo you're never too old for cake!

WhoisLucasHood Thu 21-May-15 22:50:29

Happy birthday cakewine
I know how you feel OP. I was always the one made sure I sent cards to friends, I took my birthday off FB this year and got no posts. It's okay though, saved me a fortune in postage this year.

yummumto3girls Thu 21-May-15 22:58:14

Happy Birthday OP! I hate my birthday too, I put myself out for everyone, everyone in the family gets spoilt, pressies, cake ... I'm lucky if I get a card, it's rubbish!

marriednotdead Thu 21-May-15 23:17:33

Happy birthday Squirrel!
Sorry that not everyone in your life understands what it means to you flowers

If you want a different birthday next year, work out what you want and start planning it now smile

Babyroobs Fri 22-May-15 00:25:46

I don't like a lot of fuss, so tend to keep mine quiet ! At work a big fuss is made especially if it's a big Birthday, 40 or 50, there is a collection,flowers, present , big card for everyone to sign etc.

Squirrel78 Fri 22-May-15 08:08:31

Oh I don't want a massive fuss it's just that I always remember birthdays because I put them on the calendar make sure friends and family get a card and/or gift on the actual day. But I'm lucky if they remember and if they do it's just "I'll give you your present at the weekend if that's alright - don't think I'll get the chance to wrap it". Well no it's not alright - it's not my birthday at the weekend and you're telling me it's not worth five minutes of your time to wrap my friggin present! shock

cleanmyhouse Fri 22-May-15 08:12:39

They are a bit. Only my parents make the effort. my brother forgets and i have to give my kids money to get me something.
workmates do cake though, which is nice.

I stopped giving a shit years ago.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 22-May-15 08:36:51

Honestly it's normal to only get cards from close family as an adult. Ches. sometimes it's best to be grateful dI only receive them from dh, parents and dsis - never occurs to me to be anything but touI think you sound a bit churlish tbh, especially about the friend asking for your address.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 22-May-15 08:38:05

Sorry posted too soon but you get picture. Hope you have a hb in any case.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 22-May-15 08:40:34

Also on a practical note if you organise a party people will celebrate with you.

Roussette Fri 22-May-15 08:52:25

I get what you are saying, Squirrel. Happy Birthday! Here's a cake for you. smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 22-May-15 08:55:05

I don't so much hate birthdays. I just hate any type of attention. I meAn some people thrive and feed off but not me. My 40th is coming up this yeAr. It's not the fact that I'm getting older as I know it's clique to say it but I still think I'm 21.grin

TTWK Fri 22-May-15 08:57:56

A birthday is basically saying "look at me, our pale blue dot has successfully completed another circuit of the nearest fiery gas ball since I was born."

Who cares?

SnowyPiglet Fri 22-May-15 09:01:39

Think they get worse as you get older unfortunately. I find I have to gee people up a bit (suggest drinks with friends etc). But I can't understand why my sisters (don't have parents any more) find it difficult to get a card in the post so that it arrives on birthday or before, they have known when my birthday is for 50 years! And one of them never acknowledges my children's birthdays. DH makes a bit of an effort though, so long as I start hinting a couple of weeks beforehand.

BettyCatKitten Fri 22-May-15 09:09:41

Happy birthdaycake
You're never too old for cake, although I buy my own as no one gives a shitgrin

chaletdays Fri 22-May-15 14:26:35

I'm terrible for remembering friends' birthdays. It doesn't mean I don't care about them, but birthdays aren't big on my radar really. I wouldn't let it upset you or read anything into it. I think your birthday sounds pretty normal for someone in their thirties. I know some people make it a big occasion and go on a night out with friends etc. But a lot of people just have a family meal and that's it. Some of my friends don't even know the date of my birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now