Talk

Advanced search

To think a 5 year old boy 'blowing a raspberry' is actually just spitting?

(15 Posts)
GreenEva Thu 21-May-15 19:09:53

What would you call it?

In context, a boy at DS's school 'blew a raspberry' in his face after a playground disagreement.

AIBU to call this spitting?

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Thu 21-May-15 19:11:08

Hmm, no, it isn't spitting imo... But it isn't nice either.

I think it's fairly harmless unless he was an inch away and actually showered him with spit

Lara2 Thu 21-May-15 19:13:48

No, it's blowing a raspberry. As Christian said, not very polite or nice, but not spitting.

FiveExclamations Thu 21-May-15 19:14:46

If I was talking to someone about it, for example a teacher, then I'd say "So and so blew a raspberry in my DS's face, covering it in spit." Then you avoid the whole "I didn't spit!" argument from the child who thinks they've just blown a raspberry and think's it's funny.

I'd probably not tell a teacher if it was a one off thing though, foul as I think it is [not a raspberry fan], I'd wait to see if it happens again.

cariadlet Thu 21-May-15 19:15:06

Not nice, but better than hitting or kicking him. It's the sort of thing that little kids do when they're cross with each other.

Yarp Thu 21-May-15 19:15:48

No, it's not spitting.

If it's done in an aggressive way, then it's not nice. But it lacks the disdain of spitting.

SoupDragon Thu 21-May-15 19:16:42

It's not spitting, it's blowing a raspberry. As others have said, not pleasant but not anything like spitting.

RB68 Thu 21-May-15 19:17:31

Its rude and disrespectful and not acceptable behaviour even at 5 they know better than that

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-May-15 19:17:37

No, not spitting. Much more light hearted.

Yarp Thu 21-May-15 19:17:45

I agree that it involves the child showing more self-control than hitting or kicking, which is rather common at that age.

Let the teacher deal with it

FiveExclamations Thu 21-May-15 19:18:23

Thinks not think's [eye roll at self].

SaucyJack Thu 21-May-15 19:19:39

YABU.

Spitting is spitting. Blowing a raspberry is blowing a raspberry.

Simples.

CaptainAnkles Thu 21-May-15 19:22:07

It's not very nice because if it's messily done, spit does go on the other person. It's not the same as getting a load of saliva into your mouth and gobbing it into someone's face though.

Feminine Thu 21-May-15 19:36:16

I'd rather be spat on.
Children blowing raspberries can go on forever.
A child could claim they only blew a raspberry, as it sounds funnier.
<over thinking>

Yarp Thu 21-May-15 19:39:28

Feminine

I agree, some children would be Machiavellian about it, but mostly I think it would be a frustrated replacement for a hit

I have to disagree about one thing though- I've been spat on, twice, and it's vile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now