Talk

Advanced search

WIBU or are these people knobheads?

(28 Posts)
OhHolyFuck Thu 21-May-15 13:20:49

Ds2(1) has had a cough which got worse yesterday and after dinner was really wheezing/grunting when breathing so I phoned 111 for advice - they said breathing difficulties in a baby means going to A&E

So off we went. For 6 bastarding hours. Didn't get home til well after midnight.

Because I live in a university city and a load of them had got off their faces on 'legal highs' and then needed medical assistance.

Thanks to them I had to wait for hours with a screaming, overtired, can't breathe baby so aibu to think they were selfish pricks?

BubGal13 Thu 21-May-15 13:25:42

Yes but have you ever been really drunk? Same thing really...although def think there should be a set space for drunks/drug users in A&E with a set number, and far fewer, docs on hand to deal with them and they wait to be seen in their special section/with longer waiting time.

19lottie82 Thu 21-May-15 13:26:32

To be fair I doubt you had to wait 6 hours just because some students took some legal highs, and if they thought your baby was in danger they would have prioritised him, BUT YADNBU to feel like this.....

A lot of people end up in A&E through their own various methods of stupidity. I'd focus your anger more towards the NHS tbh.....

mrsfuzzy Thu 21-May-15 13:54:20

anyone choking/ can't breathe would never have to wait six hours in my experience of working in a&e cases are dealt with on most urgent need.

RachelWatts Thu 21-May-15 13:57:14

111 will always send a baby with breathing difficulties to A&E. They sent an ambulance for DS2 when he had what turned out to be bronchiolitis.

chaletdays Thu 21-May-15 14:01:28

YANBU. In Ireland anyone arriving in an ambulance has to be taken straight through and past the queue. It used to infuriate me when an ambulance would pull up, some drunken teenager would be carted out and brought straight through to the doctors while people who had been sitting in pain for several hours had to shuffle back a place in the queue.

MaxPepsi Thu 21-May-15 14:04:48

Do you mean you were there for 6 hours, or had to wait 6 hours to be seen?

Ejzuudjej Thu 21-May-15 14:06:16

Yanbu flowers

mrsfuzzy Thu 21-May-15 14:07:11

it's annoying and makes distressed patients angry as they feel they are being pushed back in waiting but the thing is if life is at risk or the patients condition is worsening they have to be treated first. i used to frustrate me seeing piss heads and druggies coming in with head gashes and the like but we had to follow procedures.

DuncanQuagmire Thu 21-May-15 14:09:00

people are 'triaged' when they come in and a 'baby that couldnt breathe' would go to the head of the queue.

chaletdays Thu 21-May-15 14:09:01

I can understand why it has to be done, but I wish there was some way of making people like that pay through the nose, or be fined or something, for taking up precious A&E time and resources.

DuncanQuagmire Thu 21-May-15 14:09:48

hang on do you mean people should be fined for having an accident when they had taken a drink? who would decide?

Sirzy Thu 21-May-15 14:12:04

A lot of people have self inflicted problems which mean they end in a and e. It's frustrating but that's life.

If you were waiting for 6 hours then thankfully it wasn't urgent and triage decided she could wait.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 21-May-15 14:12:07

It sounds like YANBU.

Hope DS2 is better today flowers

chaletdays Thu 21-May-15 14:12:13

That's why I said I 'wish there was a way'. Obviously, there isn't. But people who have drunk so much that they fall over in the street and have to be picked up by ambulance and then take up A&E resources quite rightly attract huge ire, not least from doctors and nurses.

honeyandfizz Thu 21-May-15 14:12:24

Didn't they have a separate children's department as well as the main one that treats adults? Whenever I've had to take my dc to a&e they have always been 2 separate departments. YANBU though to think that people getting off their faces and taking legal highs then needing a&e treatment are pricks though.

Sirzy Thu 21-May-15 14:14:25

I'm guessing it could be Lancaster? If so according to this mornings news two of the students are in a critical condition. Self inflicted maybe but still not good and still deserve treatment

mrsfuzzy Thu 21-May-15 14:20:14

another type of patient used to hold very one was the 'worried well' nothing really wrong with them that a pharmacist could not assist with, sore throats, minor bumps etc. i understand it is now difficult to get g.p apts but a &e is not the place to go if you have re occuring hiccups, or your ear is popping [unless you've had an injury to the head]. some patients are quite self entitled.

mrsfuzzy Thu 21-May-15 14:22:20

as a matter of interest, what happened to op? would really like to hear their feed back to the comments made.

OhHolyFuck Thu 21-May-15 14:25:50

Delighted to be of service MrsFuzzy - Im sorry that my wheezing child (diagnosed with asthma as it turns out) and his chicken pox laden brother kept me away from replying instantly to you

OhHolyFuck Thu 21-May-15 14:28:59

Thanks to everyone else though, I know iabu really, obviously although i found DS2s breathing scary but they know what they're doing and those uni kids look like they were in some serious trouble

BrieAndChilli Thu 21-May-15 14:29:43

Our local hospital
Has a coMpletley separate children's a & e with a waiting room with lots of toys and comfy seats

mrsfuzzy Thu 21-May-15 14:33:23

ohfuck are you being sarcastic ? i merely asked about what you thought to replies, there is no need to be rude to a simple question. i feel for your dc's having health problems, i only asked out of polite interest to find out if ops had been helpful to you.

amicissimma Thu 21-May-15 14:35:11

It's hard to imagine when your DC are small, but one day it might be your 'child', perhaps hundreds of miles from home, who has had the error of judgement to get caught up in a drinking or drug-taking spree and has an accident. You will be then very grateful for the A&E department that sorts him or her out and possibly avoids permanent harm.

Theycallmemellowjello Thu 21-May-15 14:35:32

Sorry you had such a rubbish night, but I think YABU. There’s nothing wrong with taking a ‘legal high’ – they’re legal after all. I don’t think it’s the same situation as someone getting horribly drunk, since these legal highs are all quite shady and their effects are not as well known as those of alcohol. And since they are legal it is not totally unreasonable to think that taking them is going to land you in A&E (it is naïve to think that they must be safe as they’re legal, but naivety is also not a crime). The person you should be angry at in this situation is the idiot who was making/selling the legal highs which were clearly very dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now