to buy a 2013 dyson model as the benefits of the new one are probably over hyped

(14 Posts)
agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 12:13:36

I want to buy a handheld dyson that tesco have on offer for 90. Dh wants to go for the new one that's 300 as it is apparently much better with a new motor.

Money isn't tight but I don't like to waste.

Aibu to insist on the old one as dyson stuff is over hyped and no way can the new one be three times better?

19lottie82 Thu 21-May-15 12:15:45

I bought one of the dyson cordless vacuums (not bottom of the range) last year, and it's not that great tbh

TarkaTheOtter Thu 21-May-15 12:16:40

Is the £90 one just a handheld or a proper cordless with pole?

TarkaTheOtter Thu 21-May-15 12:19:35

The handheld will do your car/upholstery/stairs. The "proper" cordless one is a replacement for your main vacuum. They are not really the same product.

agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 12:21:25

Its the dc30 I'm looking at. Just want something to tidy the kitchen daily and other little bits. Is that the one you got Lottie?

It doesn't have a pole

TarkaTheOtter Thu 21-May-15 12:24:11

That one is like a powerful dust buster. What type of floor have you got in the kitchen?

Floralnomad Thu 21-May-15 12:31:37

The dyson handhelds are excellent ,the Dyson cordless vacs are not - I've just doubled up my clubcard vouchers and got a Bosch cordless from Tesco which I'm hoping will be better .

19lottie82 Thu 21-May-15 12:34:00

no, its this one

www.johnlewis.com/dyson-v6-cordless-vacuum-cleaner/p1931573

londonrach Thu 21-May-15 12:43:22

www.tesco.com/direct/dyson-dc30-handheld-bagless-vacuum-cleaner/206-9589.prd

Very tempting op. Reviews are good.

agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 13:05:45

Ha Lottie you've got the new one with the, apparently, super motor!

Yep that's it rach, would get 60 off with my clubcard points. For 20 looks a goer!

londonrach Thu 21-May-15 13:07:06

Wow. (Off to count tesco vouchers)

TarkaTheOtter Thu 21-May-15 13:40:17

I don't think lottie can have that exact model as it wasn't about last year was it.
I wouldn't get that one for the kitchen anyway as its not very good at picking up bits. If you were going to spend that amount of money, I'd get this one www.dyson.co.uk/vacuumcleaners/cordless/dyson-v6/dyson-v6-fluffy-plus.aspx

You need one without a turbine head for picking up bits from hard floors. The turbine head will just spin the bits away. <vacuum nerd>

TarkaTheOtter Thu 21-May-15 13:46:26

Sorry lottie just seen that's the renamed DC59 not the absolute. We've got that one two. I like it for carpets but get frustrated about it not being able to pick up larger crumbs in the kitchen using the turbine head.

SilentCharisma Thu 21-May-15 14:34:51

I actually think the older the better. The build quality of the first few generations is considerably better.

I'm ultra tight with such purchases and am using a DC04 upright I picked up for fiver at a carboot sale and cleaned / serviced myself, and it's still going strong. The modern ones are flimsy and cheap feeling.

I would go for the 2013 model - when it comes down to it, it's only a vacuum cleaner! Save some dough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now