to think the budget of 13bn cuts maybe some good news

(82 Posts)
agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 08:16:59

Some changes to housing benefit to stop it pushing up all rents would be good.

Also I'd like to see some kind of land tax to replace council tax. Then all the overseas people that buy properties to leave empty would be hit. Also this could hit buy to letters and remove some of the unfair tax breaks that encourage it.

What would you like to see?

VoyageOfDad Thu 21-May-15 08:20:57

Less working families being forced to use food banks , more bankers going to jail for committing fraud that attracts multi billion pound fines.

prorsum Thu 21-May-15 08:33:37

Housing benefit does not push rents up, lack of social housing does.

BishopBrennansArse Thu 21-May-15 08:36:53

Fewer disabled people, carers and working families bearing the brunt of bankers' mistakes and corporations failing to pay tax.

MrsNextDoor Thu 21-May-15 08:38:33

How does housing benefit push up rents? confused It's the lack of housing that does that.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 21-May-15 08:41:12

Are you serious? hmm

I wouldn't like to see the cuts, I would like to see them collect the taxes owed tbh! How is it "good news" that carers are going to lose out, kids are going to starve and disabled people are going to lose their benefits.

I'm sick of Tory Britain and we're only 2 weeks in!

bobbywash Thu 21-May-15 09:01:05

Yes the 13bn in cuts could be good news, they could cut MP's pension entitlement for a start and how easily they qualify for it (2 terms I believe). Then they could cut the 2nd home allowance that MP's get. That would be a start.

Of course there are savings to be made, and layers of management in various areas are a good start. I would like to see less civilians and more Police, same with the NHS less admin and more front line staff. It'll never happen though, they will target the easiest group that makes the best soundbites, so Housing Benefit in London, Child Benefits, and Benefits generally with an overall cap.

I fail to see how moving people into poverty can ever be seen as positive.

ilovesooty Thu 21-May-15 09:04:33

Oh yes, OP. For all the disadvantaged and those of poverty I'm sure the proposed cuts are spiffing news. Absolutely spiffing. hmm

ilovesooty Thu 21-May-15 09:05:04

In poverty, sorry. Posts like this make me angry.

Sirzy Thu 21-May-15 09:06:01

It seems that all proposals so far are ones to hurt those who really need it. The cuts could be made elsewhere whereby people who are already in need wouldn't be hurt, but then that may hurt to mps and we couldn't have that!

Tanith Thu 21-May-15 09:09:31

Land tax? Isn't that the same as the old rates system that Margaret Thatcher's government replaced with first the poll tax, then the council tax, because they said the rate system was unfair?

Hardly progress if so!

agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 09:11:47

Is thing going to just go into Tory bashing for cuts that haven't been announced?

The only one HB really helps is private landlords. Much better uses of the billions spent here than in private peoples pockets, like building a few million homes.

Anyway this was about cuts you'd like to see.

meglet Thu 21-May-15 09:12:55

thefairy I totted up that we've got another 250 weeks of this to go yet sad . then another 5 yrs if Boris gets in.

Misslgl88 Thu 21-May-15 09:14:37

I'd like to see tax loopholes closes, you want to trade here you pay taxes like everyone else. MPs taking a pay cut/no wage rise (still bitter from having no pay rise as an nhs worker while they took an 11% rise angry). Pointless things like this God knows how many billion railway line especially when the nhs is in such a state. Why on earth they think it's ok to take from the most vulnerable in society while them and their friends get richer is beyond me.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Thu 21-May-15 09:27:39

I want to see tax avoiders charged legally, not just given "yet another chance" to pay.
I don't care if it is pyrrhic victory (I heard a lady on the news saying it costs millions to take these cases to court and then they don't get paid), maybe it will make the buggers think before they do it again.
I want MP's pensions cut.

LurkingHusband Thu 21-May-15 09:55:01

The one thing people need to bear in mind is that "cuts" is not a synonym for "savings".

morethanpotatoprints Thu 21-May-15 10:01:23

Yes, tax evaders need to be prosecuted. Nothing you can do about tax avoidance this is legal.
Bankers prosecuted for the mess they made.
No cuts to welfare, especially those recently hit so far.
Fewer families needing food banks.
No sanctions, these are bloody ridiculous.

Superexcited Thu 21-May-15 10:04:13

Cuts to housing benefit just means that people who rely on benefits have to move to cheaper areas which might mean the children leaving their schools and the family leaving their support network.
I don't want to see large areas being the preserve of the rich and therefore I am against housing benefit cuts, with the exception of extreme examples.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Thu 21-May-15 10:08:48

Yes, tax evaders need to be prosecuted. Nothing you can do about tax avoidance this is legal.
damn i always get the wrong word

26Point2Miles Thu 21-May-15 10:09:23

I think pensioners benefits need looking into,though I believe they are protected. means tested maybe.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 21-May-15 10:12:23

They've already cut housing benefit, almost as soon as they got in last time. It's done fuck all to cost of renting and just means that people can't afford to rent privately and are defaulting on rent. Which in turn makes it harder for people who are on hb either partially or fully to find places to rent because no one will rent to them.

Not sure if you're not very well informed of just being a bit goady here tbh.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 21-May-15 10:30:13

Having just had a quick look online and in the local paper, there are precisely 0 rooms to rent for the lha for a single person under 35 in my area. Even the one property that does say it accepts dss tenants is £20 a week more than the maximum the la will pay. So that's been a successful policy in bringing down rents.

Samcro Thu 21-May-15 10:30:17

i like to see a cut in shite threads like these.

agentEgypt Thu 21-May-15 10:39:36

You don't agree with someone so therefore they must be uninformed?

Are you saying HB is perfect in each and every way?

It only helps those at the bottom, skews the whole market and creates depemdancy.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 21-May-15 10:46:59

No I'm saying you are uninformed because because if you were you would have known that your suggestion had already been carried out for the reasons you wanted it to be and it didn't work. It still isn't going to have the desired effect if you do it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now