Advanced search

to be concerned about this child? (unsure if social services can help)

(62 Posts)
mnthrowaway Wed 20-May-15 17:35:51

This is a bit of a delicate situation, I've always found mumsnet really helpful and I don't know where else to turn!

I've become worried that a child (5yo girl) I know is suffering abuse from their parents - I overheard an episode where she was threatened, sworn at and hit several times. There have also been other worrying signs - e.g. I've seen her taking leftover food from cafe tables, and noticed several bruises on her arms and legs

I want to inform social services so they can investigate her situation, but I'm worried what it will trigger. I think that other people have raised concerns about this child in the past, prompting professional involvement. In each case, the family has moved to a different area of the country, within a couple of weeks. I'm concerned that, if something is wrong, any social services investigation will just make things worse, by pushing them to move again, perhaps abroad

What can I do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated, especially around the whole moving issue. Can it be prevented while social services investigate? Can cases like this be tracked across counties? Basically, what's the best way I can get help to this child?

somewheresomehow Wed 20-May-15 17:42:45

Please please get in touch with social services and also tell them that the family may move house as soon as they are seen to be being investigated
if not SS they try the NSPCC but please alert someone the child must be in an awful situation behind doors if you have been able to witness some of it

somewheresomehow Wed 20-May-15 17:43:15

Welshmaenad Wed 20-May-15 17:43:47

You absolutely need to inform social services of what you have observed, and also make them aware that the family have a tendency to move area when professionals become involved.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsstarlord Wed 20-May-15 17:49:05

Do get in touch, every part of the jigsaw is important for kids at risk of abuse

Zanussi Wed 20-May-15 17:56:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mnthrowaway Wed 20-May-15 17:56:44

Thanks for the replies!

@NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe, no they don't change their name. How would SS trace them if they moved?

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 20-May-15 18:08:20

Please report..!! SSd will take it from there... This is quite clearly abuse!

There's lots of cross area intelligence and interagency work...
Made. So much easier if they're not changing their name!

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 20-May-15 18:12:49

PS alerts can be set up on for example NHS computers, school health.

Often unless these families go completely to ground under the radar it is quite easy to predict where people will turn up.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 20-May-15 18:17:16

If you're genuinely concerned and have witnessed the incidents you describe then you should report them but tbh I'm confused how you know so much about this family (ie the frequent moves; earlier SS involvement) and yet SS don't.

BackforGood Wed 20-May-15 18:17:20

I agree with everyone else.
Things have improve greatly in last few years, with inter agency work and information being shared across different agencies.
Please report the piece of the jigsaw you know about, and then let the professionals make any judgements with everything they know about.
Please dont' 'do nothing'.

BackforGood Wed 20-May-15 18:17:42

*different areas of the country

GloGirl Wed 20-May-15 18:19:06

phone social services immediately. If you know she is being hit at the time, phone 999.

Sianilaa Wed 20-May-15 18:19:13

Please do inform SS! They will inform the new local authority when they track them down.

mnthrowaway Wed 20-May-15 18:34:15

What's the best way to report this, especially how best to warn them about the moving?

Also, there's a chance the family could move abroad- what would happen then?

Lucy61 Wed 20-May-15 18:46:00

Google child protection or social services and the name of your council/ local authority and it will come up with contact details. You must inform them that there is a chance they might try to move.
They are used to tracking vulnerable families/ children and will know what to do.


Lucy61 Wed 20-May-15 18:47:40

What is your relationship with the family?

Yarp Wed 20-May-15 18:48:07

Tell SS what you have told us
Also school Child Protection Officer normal one of the SMT) if your child is at the same school.

Heels99 Wed 20-May-15 18:48:24

Please act now, don't hesitate further.

Yarp Wed 20-May-15 18:49:05

And I agree to call police if you hear her being hit, there and then

mnthrowaway Wed 20-May-15 19:47:55

Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone answer on what will happen if the family move abroad after SS call? Is there any way to stop this happening?

kissmethere Wed 20-May-15 20:29:25

You need to report all your concerns and see including the moving issue. SS may be able to help with your queries.
Why do you keep asking what will happen if they move?

kissmethere Wed 20-May-15 20:30:03

Is this child someone personal to you?

AngelWings74 Wed 20-May-15 20:30:33

You must act now to ensure child is safeguarded. As a social worker I am happy to give advice if you message me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now