We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to have my tampons on display?

(448 Posts)
ElleGrace Wed 20-May-15 13:45:21

Hi there,
This is actually my first post on here (despite me being an avid mumsnetter for the past 5+ years!) so bare with!
Basically, OH and I have recently moved in to a new place together and are having a ridiculous rather silly debate over whether or not it is socially acceptable to have (unused) tampons on display in the bathroom.
To my way of thinking, anyone who enters our home will be perfectly aware that I, a woman, have a menstrual cycle and therefore use some form of feminine product in my bathroom. The only hidden storage we have in the bathroom is on the opposite side of the room to the toilet, which is an inconvenience to get to. Therefore, I have a glass jar of tampons on the shelf right next to the toilet, alongside many other glass jars filled with cotton buds, cotton pads, candles etc. IMO, there is no difference in seeing a tampon in the bathroom than seeing something like a cotton bud.
On the other hand, my OH argues that although people are aware I use tampons, they don't really need to see proof of it. He compared it to having a jar of condoms in the bathroom.
I understand this is a really ridiculous argument, but it really got me thinking as to whether I should really have to hide my feminine products in my own home, or as to whether I'm simply being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn.
I'd love to hear your opinions on this trivial matter, and I'd also like to know whether your products are hidden from view too.

tryingtocatchthewind Wed 20-May-15 13:49:50

If there's loads of jars of bathroom stuff then it's fine to have a jar of tampons. Perhaps a big multipack box resting on top of the loo roll is a bit much (where mine are oops) but he'll mellow once you've been there a while.

Surely you only need them out for a few days a month so sod him.

Make a nice arty display of them!

Jengnr Wed 20-May-15 13:50:01

Mine are next to the bog in the box, right at eye level. I don't even have a fancy glass jar. I haven't even used one for 6months yet there they sit.

Try that, see how he likes those beans. :D

YDdraigGoch Wed 20-May-15 13:50:23

You shouldn't have to hide tampons, but, rightly or wrongly, many men wouldn't feel comfortable with them being on display. My DF would be highly embarassed.

Some might argue that it's his problem, but he's old school, and I take account of the feelings of my guests and I would put them away.

Could you compromise by agreeing to leave them out while it's just the two of you in the house, but putting them in the cupboard when you have guests?

AdeleDazeem Wed 20-May-15 13:51:49

I personally wouldn't. I don't think it would bother me to see it in someone elses bathroom though.

I keep mine in the bathroom in a box that came with a giftset. It's discrete, a dark coloured box in the corner on the shelf. I find it convenient to have them in the bathroom as opposed to the bedroom.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 20-May-15 13:53:27

I had similar convo with my mum some time ago, when she was staying,my mum thought it was very 'off'. However, my OH was completely ok with it... Our house our rules idea.

I was very irritated that my mum should think that I should somehow be ashamed/hide products that we all use... Especially as I have truly grim periods.. (think slaughterhouse shock). She thought I was being insensitive to 'others' embarassment'... Seriously...?? That I should hide something that was completely natural in case of some theoretical upset of VISITORS in OUR home!

ahbollocks Wed 20-May-15 13:53:33

Ridiculous. Maybe you should hide the toilet roll too? Or is that just for unicorn poops and fairy wees?
Maybe hide your tampons under a massive knitted toilet roll dolly?

Snozberry Wed 20-May-15 13:53:42

Mine are in a drawer reachable from the loo, the only reason they are in a drawer is for tidiness. If there wasn't storage in a convenient place I'd absolutely leave them on show. There's no reason to hide an unused, presumably packaged tampon just because it is used for periods.

drivingmisspotty Wed 20-May-15 13:54:44

I actually think it is sociable and hospitable to your female callers to have them on display, then they can take one if they are caught short.

On the other hand my gut says it is a bit odd having them displayed in a glass jar rather than in a box. But that is not logical and I think I am probably being unreasonable on that one.

YANBU. But could you compromise at a cut glass or frosted jar?

FernGullysWoollyPully Wed 20-May-15 13:54:54

When dh first moved in with me, he came down after going to the toilet and whispered "there's women's things on the back of the toilet... I pissed myself. In all his 26 years at home (with his mum and SIL staying), he'd never seen sanitary wear in the bathroom!

He got used to it because I refused to move them.

MissMooMoo Wed 20-May-15 13:55:12

my mum always has a box on thr back of the toilet when shes on and it goes away when shes done.
Myself and my sisters always tel her she doesn't really need to display them! I do find it bit strange but ultimately its up to you.

I personally keep mine in my bedroom in a drawer in my dressing table, right beside bathroom so just take one with me when I go in if I am on.

Arsenic Wed 20-May-15 13:55:35

Maybe you should hide the toilet roll too?

This^.

YANBU OP.

RachelWatts Wed 20-May-15 13:56:27

We don't have a cupboard in our bathroom. My tampons sit proudly on top of the cistern.

Cocodale Wed 20-May-15 13:56:43

Three daughters in our house so theres always a packet or two of sanitary towels in our bathroom which certainly aren't hidden away.
Also means they are on hand should a visitor need them.

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 20-May-15 13:57:01

There's nothing shameful about them and visitors eyes aren't going to burn by seeing them. I'm pregnant now but still keep a pack of pads in the bathroom if a visitor ever needs one. Condoms are hardly a necessity compared to sanitary products!

MadAsgardian Wed 20-May-15 13:57:16

I remember a thread a while back where a MNer was moaned at by a friend because friends DD used their loo and there were no period products on display and she needed one. Friend said her DD was embarrassed and OP should have had some on display for visiting females.

Or something along those lines.

CaptainAnkles Wed 20-May-15 13:57:18

If it's what you're happy with, fair enough, but he's just as entitled to his opinion. I keep such items in a bathroom cupboard because I don't feel that they need to be on display, and would look untidy. It wouldn't bother me in somebody else's house though, as its your decision where to keep them.

PeggyCarter Wed 20-May-15 13:57:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Charlotte3333 Wed 20-May-15 13:57:48

Mine are in a drawer that also houses fifty thousand other items of bathroom tat. But I'm a bit weird and don't like having anything out on show, everything is put away neatly, much to DH's disgust (he's muttered 'OCD' at me occasionally).

I wouldn't think twice about seeing someone else's tampons, though. It's part of being a woman, if people are so squeamish they can't look at a box of unused sanitary wares they might want to get a bit of a grip.

KneeQuestion Wed 20-May-15 13:57:56

Why should you be ashamed of using tampons?

Because hiding them away would be down to being, or being made to feel ashamed of the fact that you menstruate.

Surely we have moved on from 'Eves shame' and all that woman hating crapola?

Mine are proudly on display right by the loo, in both bathrooms.

I have sons and see it as a parental duty to normalise such thngs to them.

Arsenic Wed 20-May-15 13:58:16

Oh yes the "guest sanpro" thread! <happy sigh>

Fatstacks Wed 20-May-15 13:58:23

My pal hides hers and insists her dd keeps hers hidden away in her bedroom too hmm

Very odd imo.
I leave my mooncup on the windowsill to dry in the sunshine

LisaD1 Wed 20-May-15 13:58:27

Mine are out in a wicker basket ontop of the bathroom drawers. This is because my DH does the family shopping and our teenage daughter always forgot to tell anyone when she was running out, now we have them out so we can see when they are running low. Women have periods, what's the fuss?

NickyEds Wed 20-May-15 13:58:28

"proof of it"!!! The woman bleeds! There's the proof grin. Tell him to grow up.

MrsToddsShortcut Wed 20-May-15 13:59:00

Nooooooooooo! You must hide your bleeding! Disguise the filth! Protect the innocent from the Sin of Woman! Here, don this hessian sack to cover yourself, else get thee to a nunnery...

Ahem.

I think your OP is being a bit coy. I do realise that Tampon adverts only appeared on TV in 1989, and prior to that, the wider world was protected from the mysteries of womanhood, however, my bathroom shelf is proudly decorated with tampons, sanitary towels, Tena Lady, nappies, pull-ups, nappy sacks, baby wipes and all manner of products designed to mop up blood, wee and poo.

I see no reason to be ashamed of the bodily functions of any of our family. I know not everyone was brought up that way, and some people do find it all a bit embarassing, but there's really no need. It's what bathrooms are for!

I'm not sure if you have DC's, but I'm not sure it's good to give them the message that our bodily functions are weird/embarassing/strange/something to be hidden.

Display your tampon jar with pride!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now