to feel so completely despondent about jobs?

(6 Posts)
JammyGem Wed 20-May-15 12:38:46

I've posted before about my current job - I had a temporary promotion for maternity cover, after my contract ended a permanent position came up for the same role - I applied, didn't get it, and am not stuck training the new guy who did. Shitty situation, as it means that when he's fully trained up my hours will diminish (zero hours casual contract). I used to do 5/6 days a week, the last fortnight I've had 2 shifts a week, not even enough to cover rent.

I've been searching for jobs, applying everywhere, taking ages on covering letters and supporting statements, had friends and an old manager (who now works in recruitment) look over them, they say they're all great. Yet absolutely nothing. I feel so shit about life. It's completely soul-destroying. I love my job and would love to stay but can't afford it, and it seems like no-one else wants me either.

I used to be confident and happy and good at my job, but now I just spend all my time worrying about money and jobs and hiding in the toilets at work crying. I just don't understand why I can't get out of this mess.

JammyGem Wed 20-May-15 12:41:50

Sorry, should be 'now stuck training the new guy who did' - I should say I know it's not his fault and I'm training him as best as I can - he's brilliant at the job, I don't want anyone thinking I'm bitter at him about it all.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 20-May-15 13:18:06

Feel for you. I'm on a zero hours contract and have worked four days in four weeks. This was the only work I could find that fit round dhs shifts so will have to ride it out. Have a degree but no experience and where I live a degree is a dirty word!
It is soul destroying but I guess we just have to keep applying and keep our fingers crossed.
Good luck with the job search flowers

JammyGem Wed 20-May-15 13:30:59

Thanks for your reply. It's awful isn't it? The flexibility is great and was perfect for me as a student, but as soon as you get into the 'real world' it just doesn't cut it sad
Good luck to you too! flowers

flora717 Wed 20-May-15 13:43:23

There does seem to be a lack of action in the jobs market here as well (Unless you're after an apprenticeship or very senior role weirdly).

Rowgtfc72 Wed 20-May-15 17:21:45

Have looked into apprenticeships and could probably manage on the low rate of pay but most stress no qualifications higher than an nvq 3 and a degree works out to a level 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now