Talk

Advanced search

To not give my daughter the antibiotics?

(59 Posts)
singlikethepianoMargot Wed 20-May-15 09:38:03

4yr old daughter complaining of soreness when weeing. Went to doc, checked urine sample, anti b's given. Gave them to DD, 5 days later no problems.

Just had a call from the doctor saying the sample had been sent to the lab and the type of infection DD has is resistant to the type of anti b we were prescribed and there is a new prescription waiting for us.

Daughter appears to have no symptoms anymore.

When I have a touch of cystitis or possible UTI I just drink loads of water and let it sort itself out, I am reluctant to take too many antibiotics. So I am thinking I don't need to give dd the new medicine as she doesn't appear in pain anymore.

But I'm interested if there is something I am missing or a reason I should give her the anti biotics, could she still have the infection if she has no symptoms? Should I get the medicine in case the symptoms come back?

Thanks!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Wed 20-May-15 09:42:12

If you were asking about something else that had less chance of complications then I would probably agree, I don't like antibiotics either. But UTIs can turn into kidney infections, and from what I understand that risk is higher in small people with short urethras. And kidney infections are really not good news.

Yerwanoverthere Wed 20-May-15 09:45:15

Yes, I am a frequent uti and cystitis sufferer and she may be ok right now but it may come back in a week or 2 worse as the bacteria wasn't killed first time, I would say get the second lot.

AoifeBell Wed 20-May-15 09:45:50

YABU

Stubbed Wed 20-May-15 09:45:59

Some uti are symptomless. I had one for years not picked up til I got tested in pregnancy

sparechange Wed 20-May-15 09:48:19

This is how infections become resistant to antibiotics.
You take an insufficient course, they strongest ones survive and become a stronger strain...
You should give her the medication to ensure the infection is gone

Katiebeau Wed 20-May-15 09:55:33

You are fortunate to have such a diligent GP OP.

YABVU to just dismiss the use of the new course. As others have said that UTI will be back, worse and maybe in the kidneys. Agony and IV Antibiotics may be needed.

Worst case of course but I've been there many times due to less diligent GP when I was younger.

singlikethepianoMargot Wed 20-May-15 09:57:17

Ooh, I'm so glad I posted!! Thank you so much everyone, I didn't realise it could be so serious :-/

Off to pick up the prescription now.

Thank you mumsnet xxx

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Wed 20-May-15 09:57:27

Spare change in principle I agreee but the doc has said the bacteria are already resistant to the ab's that were prescribed and taken.

The op is discussing an alternative ab which has not yet been used. Op it is a risk that your daughter may be asymptomatic but still have a residual infection which you will have to treat again in a week or two. Could you get her urine dipsticked again?

If you do decided to start the ab's obviously continue to the end of the course...

Bwino Wed 20-May-15 10:00:23

YABU my dsis recently spent 4 days in hospital with a severe kidney infection as she faild to finish a course of antibiotics.

yellowdinosauragain Wed 20-May-15 10:02:16

And I bet all of you posting are qualified doctors are you? hmm

Op why don't you call and ask to speak to the doctor for advice. Certainly in adults we wouldn't treat urine infections with no symptoms. No idea what is the right thing in kids but I certainly think asking a qualified doctor for advice would be better than randoms on the net...

madreloco Wed 20-May-15 10:04:59

But I'm interested if there is something I am missing or a reason I should give her the anti biotics,

You're missing a medical degree and the reason you should give them is because the person with the medical degree has told you she needs them.

No idea what is the right thing in kids but I certainly think asking a qualified doctor for advice would be better than randoms on the net

The dr has given the advice, and the prescription. Why would she waste their time with asking them again? hmm

singlikethepianoMargot Wed 20-May-15 10:05:12

been trying to get through to doc with no luck so far. Am grateful to the replies from the randoms! ;)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 20-May-15 10:05:48

Agreed. If her symptoms have gone you should discuss this with the doctor and see if the ABs are necessary.

singlikethepianoMargot Wed 20-May-15 10:08:24

Sorry should have said that DH took the call from doc so didn't explain that the symptoms have gone.

Thank you all for the replies I appreciate it

chelle792 Wed 20-May-15 10:09:15

I suffered from a UTI when I was a kid which developed into a kidney infection. I now have one damaged kidney (but in my kiddy priorities, was very excited to have a "baby scan" on my kidneys! mad).
Just to put it in perspective - it doesn't impact my life in any way and don't have to do anything or change my lifestyle.

yellowdinosauragain Wed 20-May-15 10:10:59

Madreloco she should ask them again because the doctor has suggested the new antibiotics simply on the basis of a lab result and not an assessment of her daughter who has now recovered. It may well be she should take them regardless but equally the doctor may decide differently if she /he knew her dd is now better.

It wouldn't take long either for the receptionist to speak to the gp to say 'dd has no uti symptoms now, should she still take the antibiotics?' and the gp can say 'yes', 'no', or 'I'd like to check her over and decide'.

In adults who are well we wouldn't routinely treat a uti unless there were specific reasons to do so. That may or may not also be the case in kids (I'm a doctor, not a gp though and don't treat kids)

DazzleU Wed 20-May-15 10:12:32

I'd check with the GP - even if just via the phone to be sure or pop in and ask receptionists - they may be able to grab GP or nurse and see what they say.

If you can't get through or get there - could the pharmacists advise ?

Those would be my suggestions - plus cranberry juice - apparently something in that stops bacteria sticking and can help with UTI.

If you really can't get any advice - I assume the GP would want them to be taken to clear the infection up.

DottyStripes Wed 20-May-15 10:14:52

In this case id be inclined to ask the GP if they could re-test the urine sample

But then that's because iv been given countless courses of antibiotics that a Dr later turns round and says well that one isn't what you should have had, so where I live they still seem to give out just in casehmm and Iv been hospitalised after reacting very badly to one of their apparent guesses. I now insist I know I NEED a certain antibiotic before I take it... Funnily enough, sometimes I don't when they check again.

madreloco Wed 20-May-15 10:15:13

Madreloco she should ask them again because the doctor has suggested the new antibiotics simply on the basis of a lab result and not an assessment of her daughter who has now recovered. It may well be she should take them regardless but equally the doctor may decide differently if she /he knew her dd is now better.

Surely she mentioned all of that in the first phone call? Why wouldn't you?

yellowdinosauragain Wed 20-May-15 10:17:28

Madreloco

Sorry should have said that DH took the call from doc so didn't explain that the symptoms have gone

murphys Wed 20-May-15 10:19:59

Usually I am not a fan of AB's as I do think that they are often overused. But saying that, she is only 4 and a UTI is not something to be overlooked as it can become serious.

I would phone the dr and explain that her symptoms have gone. He may well tell you to get the script and ask the pharmacist not to mix it up with water yet - and see how it goes for the next few days. I have done this before. But I would definitely chat to GP again about this. You are lucky to have such a great GP btw Sing...

Oxfordblue Wed 20-May-15 10:21:24

I'd be inclined not to. I had a fever one night, went to the Drs, oh it's probably a kidney infection. Here's AB's & I'll do a sample.

I have a reaction to AB's, I started to swell up, had a rash & peeling a thimble of pee every 5 mins. I drank about a pt of water instead of little sips here & there & flushed it out. Results come back from lab, no infection.

So best thing (imo - not a Dr!) is drink lots of water - at least 3/4 pt at a time &flush it out. Nothing wrong with letting your body sort it self out.

specialsubject Wed 20-May-15 10:23:40

the OP has already agreed to do the sensible thing and follow the advice from the person with the medical degree.

the GP is clearly well aware of antibiotic resistance. Sadly large parts of the world are not so we all need to follow instructions on these drugs.

Floggingmolly Wed 20-May-15 10:24:30

I didn't realise it could be so serious! Really? Why do you think the doctor went out of their way to contact you? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now